UnderGround Forums

PoliticalGround >> A Brief For Whitey (Obama Speech)

3/21/08 1:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Mar-08
lol @ you tough love fuckers. Apparently 400 years of slavery and oppression isn't a big deal when they've had about forty years of grudgingly given civil rights. And I don't even know what the point of this thread is. Is Obama supposed to apologize to whitey for all black people and say, "C'mon now, don't be angry no mo'. Some of thems been mighty fair to us over the last couple of decades"?
3/21/08 1:23 PM
Reverse Jihad
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bocephus,Candy Man,Lada,Pitt & Assc
Do Jews that live in Germany have special programs for them from their govenment? Should America also do something for the Indians?
3/21/08 1:25 PM
Chris in Cambridge

"Apparently 400 years of slavery and oppression isn't a big deal when they've had about forty years of grudgingly given civil rights." Let's grant your point. 'The legacy of discrimination must be addressed.' What do modern-day whites (the 'white community'), even those without a discriminatory bone in their body, specifically need to do for blacks? And for how long? Let's be specific. If Obama *really* wanted to get past race, then he could. If in no other way than by talking about rich and poor and not black and white. But he continues to divide ('the white community', 'the black community') and not unite. That's one of my disappointments.
3/21/08 1:33 PM
fanat

"but the fact that such a large number of them grow up in single parent homes, which leads to a higher incidence of poverty, drug abuse, prison." I grew up in a single parent home and a lot of my close friends also have only one parent for some unknown reason. While there is some truth to what you are saying it can't be such a great reason.
3/21/08 1:35 PM
THAGE
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I'm not badly mistaken the German government had to pay out alot of $$$ to Jewish people
3/21/08 1:35 PM
Chris in Cambridge

'I could be wrong but it is just my perception that biggest obstacle facing the average black teen today is not institutionalized racism or discrimination - but the fact that such a large number of them grow up in single parent homes, which leads to a higher incidence of poverty, drug abuse, prison.' I agree. And the single biggest enabler of this situation is what? Correct-- government assistance.
3/21/08 1:36 PM
fingers 'n' teeth
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"fingers, who gives a shit about obama's "well prepared speech". he is a liar.

20 years man

he fucked up"

i don't understand the lying accusation.  I've listened to both speeches given by Wight that are most commonly referenced (ie in the right wing propaganda video that lotlizard spams the forum with) and the overall message is totally different to what you get by listening to the one or two phraes.

The guy preaches about self improvement mostly from what I can see.

This whole attack by the republicans was obvious anyway. Anyone with half a brain can see its a clever strategy to lean on the fear of the supressed racism that runs deep in this country.  Turn all the white vote away from Obama because he's a racsist black man out to seek revenge for 400 years of oppression.

Its a cowardly attack to try and turn it around because on Obama, really, without turning Obama into a rascist McCain hasn't got a hope.

Its what always annoys me about politics in this country. It becomes about personal attacks and slanderous accusations rather than the policies at heart. Its always about personalitied rather than substance.

The spin artists from both sides are to blame, this article is one of the most appauling i've seen in a long time.

3/21/08 1:37 PM
Chris in Cambridge

'I grew up in a single parent home and a lot of my close friends also have only one parent for some unknown reason. While there is some truth to what you are saying it can't be such a great reason.' The effect is in fact huge. Of course, it can be either offset or magnified by other circumstances.
3/21/08 1:40 PM
Chris in Cambridge

"This whole attack by the republicans was obvious anyway." You seem to be discounting the contribution of the person that he is in fact running against right now. But I suppose that Clintons are above reproach in the arts of character assassination and war-room style dirty fighting. If this were a *republican* attack they would have been incredibly stupid to do this *before* he got the nomination.
3/21/08 1:42 PM
Chris in Cambridge

"Its always about personalitied rather than substance." They are both critically important. Personality and character are important when in a novel situation and there's a need to improvise.
3/21/08 1:44 PM
Chris in Cambridge

Still interested in an answer: "Apparently 400 years of slavery and oppression isn't a big deal when they've had about forty years of grudgingly given civil rights." Let's grant your point. 'The legacy of discrimination must be addressed.' What do modern-day whites (the 'white community'), even those without a discriminatory bone in their body, specifically need to do for blacks? And for how long? Let's be specific.
3/21/08 1:51 PM
Fraser
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am sure that before Obama gave the speech, somebody told him "you shouldn't give that speech. If you give a speech saying that blacks and whites alike have problems, and that they have roots not only in history and societal discrimination but in personal responsibility, all that many of the white Americans will hear is 'whites are to blame for black problems, we need a handout'. If you condemn Wright's remarks without condemning him as a person, all those people will hear is 'Obama is a racist who goes to a racist church'." That person was correct. And maybe America isn't ready for a black president. But that's not Obama's fault, it's your fault.
3/21/08 1:54 PM
baxter stockman

i probably don't need to tell anyone, but that was an exceedingly fallacious set of propositions.
3/21/08 1:55 PM
Chris in Cambridge

"That person was correct. And maybe America isn't ready for a black president. But that's not Obama's fault, it's your fault." I think you're wrong. I think "America" is more than ready for a black POTUS. An nothing about this latest flap has made me question that. Note that I don't think the speech was that bad. But if you don't think that, regardless of intentions, it has had the effect of aggravating race relations, then I don't know what to tell you.
3/21/08 1:57 PM
Fraser
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obviously it has had that effect, but I think that is due to gross misinterpretation of the message.
3/21/08 1:59 PM
baxter stockman

america is ready for a black president if and only if that black president fits a VERY particular mold - one with almost zero visible african american enculturation.
3/21/08 2:00 PM
JohnMc

Good post.
3/21/08 2:04 PM
Trust
819 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I missed the part where Buchanan said "only" Blacks received money . . .
3/21/08 2:09 PM
Chris in Cambridge

"Obviously it has had that effect, but I think that is due to gross misinterpretation of the message." http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/03/18/transcript_of_barack_obamas_speech_boston_globe/?page=1 It's got a lot of uplift in it, sure, but in my reading (yes, I read it), the speech does a clever job at framing opposition to bog-standard left-wing bromides as "fear-based" and "racist". He puts vague burdens on the "white community" toward the "black community", but I'm not sure what they are and therefore don't know what would be expected from a member of the "white community" if Obama were to be elected.
3/21/08 2:12 PM
fingers 'n' teeth
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"You seem to be discounting the contribution of the person that he is in fact running against right now.

But I suppose that Clintons are above reproach in the arts of character assassination and war-room style dirty fighting.

If this were a *republican* attack they would have been incredibly stupid to do this *before* he got the nomination"

Not at all. I believe its a very clever tactic by the Republicans (who are pushing the race issue far stronger than any liberal - see the hawks on this thread for example and the initial article spawning this thread).

McCain will beat Hilary. She is flawed and an easier target as she isn't too far away from McCain in policies on the war.  Besides the Clintons have been at the top for years and there are already hundreds of areas to attack them.

Obama is far harder to win against with his eloquent speeches and plea for change. I believe this is really why he is under fire now, republicans want him to lose. If he gets over this, wins and builds momentum to November. The old man 'ain't got a hope

3/21/08 2:12 PM
KBird
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Then why are the chinamen doing fine?" - Wow. Just wow. Are the 'chinamen' doing better than those 'coloreds'? LOL at your stupid racist ass.
3/21/08 2:13 PM
baxter stockman

bromides is a cool word
3/21/08 2:14 PM
Reverse Jihad

Bocephus,Candy Man,Lada,Pitt & Assc
like it or not BubbleBass is correct and because of the way this train has turned he will not be able to win the general election and we will be stuck with McCain and another 4 years of Bush doctrine
3/21/08 2:14 PM
TUF Noobiest

"african american enculturation" LOL @ this phrase. I guess no members of da icey hot stuntaz will ever be prez-o-dent either. This is a bad thing because??? If you think "african american enculturation" is so great, then just write-in Rev Wright and Farahkan on your ballot.
3/21/08 2:16 PM
fingers 'n' teeth

"Obama used to be seen as a man running for President who just happened to be back, increasingly he is seen as a Black man running for President. I, and most people I know have no problem with the former but do have political issues with the latter."

OMFG - i think you just tattooed a fucking swastika to your forehead!

LMFAO!!! that one of the most idiotic statements i've heard.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.