UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Bench press style mount escape

5/21/08 3:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/21/08 3:56 AM
First, in regards to my quote, a student of mine may try to position himself the same as I did, however, in reality, the reason why Joe would escape in a different way is because the student positioned himself differently and reacted differently. It may appear to be the same, but it is not and the difference is extremely subtle.

Second, with all due respect to Joe, he's not really demonstrating the escape the same way in that video clip as far as my familiarity with the system. This is the difference between what happens when people allow Joe to teach any way he wants versus when I take control and reverse engineer what he does in reality. Joe is by no means holding out information or intentionally teaching something different. He is trying his best to figure out and teach something that he does innately. Since I know it is not easy for him to figure out and explain the things he does innately, I get information from him very differently. This is exactly why Joe really liked it when we worked together to teach the seminar. Personally, I would not do the escape exactly like he showed in the video.

Lastly, it has taken me 2 months to figure out this system. A lot of what I have figured out had to go far beyond what was taught at the seminar where I first began to learn it and I even had to throw out a couple things that Joe taught. Had I only gone with what I had learned at the seminar, I could never make the system work. As soon as my students would slightly change their body position or resistance that wasn't covered in the seminar I was stuck or using a ton of strength. The initial seminar was just to point me in the general direction. I had to figure out how to walk down the path.
5/23/08 5:24 AM
dany_my

Here's an idea, maybe the next time someone organizes a reverse engineering seminar with Joe, you can tape it and put it out on the market.

I for one am preordering your future dvd.
5/23/08 6:53 PM
Bolo

Unfortunately, I don't think there's going to be seminar with Joe and I the future as there doesn't seem to be much interest.

As far as for myself, I did have students ask me if I was going to have Joe up again in the future and my response was that it would be a while from now and on a different subject. At first I thought I would need to get Joe back to go into more depth with the mount escapes, however, I am able to figure out the answers to all the questions I have. It may take some time to figure out the answers, but eventually I find them. Of course having Joe may get the answers faster, however, I don't really mind putting in the time and thought into figuring out the problems.
6/10/08 7:01 AM
easternfighter

Well, recently I had chance to spend 7 days - training privately with BOLO, here in Slovakia. We got through bench press style - pin escapes and mount escapes. Let me tell you I have been working with Bolo on my escapes for past 6-7 years...and this time it was just shocker! He pretty much modified and refined all his "old" BP stuff to totaly another level./ during just 1 year!/ He also conducted in house 2 days seminar in my gym , with just mount escapes, bench press style. The response was outstanding. I have some really HUGE blue /close to purple belt level / guys in my gym / one is 280 lb guy/ and all stuff worked simply awesome for my lower and lighter students.

The most important thing, imo, is that with these methods of escapes you are actualy proactively working on sumbissions and trasitions prevention. Simply brilliant!

Radek
bjj brown belt under Bolo, Slovakia
6/10/08 10:40 AM
Bolo

Edited: 06/10/08 10:41 AM
Doing the mount escapes on the Radek's 280 lbs. student was really good because it forced me to refine certain things right on the spot. There were certain techniques that simply did not work on him (and he wasn't even resisting) when I did it the way I was originally taught or had figured out. The "original" way I did it worked on guys up to 230 lbs., but once we got to the 280 lbs., it took too much strength or didn't work, so I had to figure out the solution on the spot and it really helped refine the system.

As far as pin escapes, I can now say that my personal version of pin escapes has evolved into something very different than what Joe does. The idea of this style of pin escapes came from Joe, but it is no longer the same as what Joe does.

--------------------

K-Dub-"T",

I didn't not see that UFC fight. The mount escape system that I am familiar with (just like the pin escape system) can be effective for NHB. I believe that a person much be highly proficient with escapes without strikes before he worries about strikes. In my opinion, that key to escaping and not getting submitting or hit is that you the very first movement you do to your opponent must not only help you get out of the position, but must also create tremendous off-balance.
6/11/08 1:30 AM
dany_my

Cool. Coould perhaps you or maybe a student of yours just youtube an example of the benchpress escape, for us to get a glimpse off?

I know that the techniques are based on ones sensitivity, but it would be cool nonetheless to see an example of achieving extreme off balance without much effort on the defender's part (ie bridging etc).

Maybe Radek could do it too!
6/11/08 2:13 PM
Bolo

I made a decision not to make videos or teach publicly a few year ago, so I won't be making any video clips. Since my students respect my decision, they don't make videos of the things I teach them. Sorry.

As far as Joe's version on the pin escape, you can see it at the end of my pin escapes DVD, where I have Joe demonstrate in action on me.
7/4/08 1:03 PM
Hanma Yujiro
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm rather new to this part of the forum so I am not up to date with what's going on. Is there a link to a thread which explains why you decided not to teach publicly or make videos? I enjoyed your videos and am sad to hear there won't be any more!
7/5/08 5:58 PM
Bolo

Edited: 07/06/08 12:49 PM
Hanma Yujiro,

To make a long explanation short, the more involved in the BJJ community I began to get, the more certain negative aspects of this community began to be bother me. I eventually got to a point in my life in which having little to no stress, anger, or frustration and being happy was more important to me than making more money. I am obviously involved with the BJJ community just enough to barely make a living, but that's it.

In the past, I felt like I wanted to change the world. Now, my view is to share my experiences and let people know another path exists, but let everyone else find their own way and make their own mistakes as I have found that people tend to learn best from experience.
7/29/08 3:51 AM
TAKEZIO

Bolo's academic study of the art is inspirational and an example that the art is far from reaching it's evolutional peak.
10/17/08 3:41 PM
Bolo

I invited some people who are not my students to a seminar I'm going to do this weekend in which I will teach my system of mount escape. We'll see how they take to it.
10/18/08 5:23 PM
le0nidis

Wow! That's great. Hope those people know how lucky they are. I am really excited by the turbocharging that's occurring in Bolo's system.
10/20/08 1:49 AM
Iron Man
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, I was one of the lucky ones how got to attend the mount escape seminar. Mike started by going over body alignment and about bio-mechanics. He showed how to apply these concepts using the triangle and the open guard. that immediate opened my eyes on how I could apply these concepts to other parts of my game.

i have to admit the stuff he showed us was pretty mind blowing. all of us there, including another brown belt agreed.

the material was very different approach to mount escapes. there was no bridging and no power movements. it was about understanding to make an imbalance between you and the person mounting you and then escaping.

I look forward to drilling the mount escape material and applying the concepts that mike taught us today.

we only covered half the material and i look forward to seeing the other half.
10/20/08 2:16 AM
Bolo

After the seminar, I ask all the attendees if they could accurately describe this mount escape system (and my idea of a system) in a few sentences. No one could. I asked if anyone could give an accurate representation of what they learned through demonstrating one example of a movement. No one could. I told them that forum members think I am holding out by not describing what it is that I do, however, these attendees now realize that a person can't really describe what they learned beyond generalities.
12/9/08 3:22 PM
Yama-Arashi

ttt
1/10/09 12:28 PM
rene.r

Put your body in the right place, angle correctly, apply force in the optimal direction, and escape. The problem with describing it is that it's meaningless unless you've been shown it.

I've trained with Mike for years, and heard him explain it over the phone in a lot of detail, and now having just learned it, it's quite different than what I thought.

(Note to Radek -- yep, he's changing everything, again!)
1/10/09 8:35 PM
le0nidis

Yup! I remember one time in class I actually was able to execute the pin escape and pull guard. Imagine that! The mount escape stuff is cool. It's kind of weird, because now I'm starting to look at things from an MBF point of view. I was passing guard, and the things that were coming to my mind were deviations and counter rotations, not specific techniques or movements.
1/10/09 10:50 PM
rene.r

You are becoming an evil anti-chiro like Mike! I swear he sounds like an old sci-fi horror villain: disassemble! disassemble!
1/10/09 11:40 PM
le0nidis

Michael is building his own jiu jitsu particle accelerator. He is breaking the moves into their subatomic components! :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.