UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> my yearly gardening thread

8/7/08 9:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Moke
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like I'll be transplanting afterall...so weird. I noticed today that suddenly a lot of the leaves have turned yellow and are ready to fall off. Isn't that a sign it's low on sulfur or something? Well it's not like I have sulfur kicking around, so I'll just assume it needs more root space, and give the bastard a new home.
8/8/08 11:36 AM
MikeZev
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

where is New2MMA when you need him?!?!?!

he sent me like 30 different kinds of seeds this year and is a master chile horticulturalist.
8/8/08 9:34 PM
Moke
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol, ok today I found out why the plant has been deteriorating...I went to pick up the pot to transplant it, and it got stcuk where it was, like the pot was tied down. So I look down there and I see a big fat root had snaked it's way out of one of the drainage holes and found the soil and worked it's way under a big rock. It must have been sucking up what that soil had to offer and started getting ill.

Here, it is finding it's way under a rock...

Yep, the sucker was root-bound...

It's much happier in it's nice new home.

I couldn't get that root out of the ground and had to cut it...I hope it doesn't get too pissed about that...
8/11/08 9:24 AM
MikeZev
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there must have been a lot of moisture for it to crawl out of the pot like that. should be OK though. definitely needed a bigger pot.

8/12/08 10:04 AM
Moke

Well it's in a 10 gallon pot now. Hopefully that'll be big enough...we'll see in the next few days.
8/14/08 9:28 AM
MikeZev

I just got the last 3 50l pots they had at wal-mart for 10 bucks each last weekend! maters are gonna have plenty of room next year..
8/14/08 9:28 AM
MikeZev

I just got the last 3 50l pots they had at wal-mart for 10 bucks each last weekend! maters are gonna have plenty of room next year..
8/16/08 2:44 AM
Moke

Edited: 08/16/08 2:45 AM
Man it's still happening...everyday I go out and I find all these yellowed leaves. I pluck them all off (they basically fall off) and the next day there's a whole new batch of yellow leaves falling off. At this rate it may overtake the plant. Any ideas?

8/18/08 4:37 PM
MikeZev

could be overwatering. does the container have good drainage? try not watering until the leaves start to droop a few times then water. they perk up pretty quickly. if thats not it then it might be a mineral imbalance and i can help ya. lol.
8/18/08 8:39 PM
Moke

That's interesting, because this started in the older smaller pot which was drying out so fast I had to be sure to get to it every day or else the sucker would be beyond recuperation. So while it may be impressed on my mind that the thing is chronically dry, I may very well be over watering it.

But it's pure potting mix and in a pot, so it does dry out pretty damn fast (especially in this heat)...but pure potting soil would also explain a lack of minerals...
8/19/08 9:10 AM
MikeZev

soil in pots does dry up faster and because of that the plants often drink up the water too quickly. this isnt as bas for chiles as it is for tomatoes, as i understand it.
8/19/08 9:53 AM
Moke

Now then, what keeps a plant that's being grown in a hydroponic system from taking on too much water (seeing as the roots are constantly dangling in a water solution)?
8/19/08 11:31 AM
MikeZev

beats the shit out of me!
9/16/08 1:06 AM
Moke

Edited: 09/16/08 4:44 AM
An open letter to birds:

Dear birds,

As you are all well aware, I hate you disgusting disease and flea ridden flying vermin. You can all go suck a huge smelly cock. You are only good for...well nothing...nothing except shitting on anything and everything, especially freshly washed cars. Fuck you.

Secondly, you have recently taken to eating my chili peppers and destroying my plant in the process. I now water a four and half foot pile of twigs. Thanks. And thanks for eating every last chili every morning, not leaving a single chili for me...ever...

But I have news for you flying rats. I bought a new Hawaiian chili plant seedling from the Home Depot nursery (instead of wasting time sprouting seeds). So for now I'll only have to defend it from aphids and slugs. But here's the thing...this time when it gets to flowering and producing chilis, I will have built a chicken-wire cage for it so you can't get your filthy grubby beaks on it. On top of that, I intend on having traps and or weapons to kill and or torture you fuckers with. Mua...muahaha...muahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Die heathen birds DIE!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.