UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Healthy quiche (really good)

3/25/08 8:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Mar-08

Holy shit, I just made this tonight and I wanted to eat the whole fucking thing. It was shockingly good. Ok, it's not SUPER healthy, but it's definitely not bad and it's a shitload less bad for you than normal quiche. You're looking at about 8 grams of fat per serving (1/8 of a pie) and 10 mg of cholesterol. I didn't really know what to expect because I was heavily modifying a normal recipe, but it turned out great on the first try, at least as good as the real thing. 1 pie crust (the frozen kind with the pie tin)
1 6oz package turkey bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3/4 cup Egg Beaters
1 1/4 cup skim milk
1/3 c Gruyère cheese (this is not much, maybe a couple oz)
2 tbsp light olive oil
1 tsp thyme, chopped (fresh is preferable, of course)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Preheat oven to 400 F. In a hot pan, cook the turkey bacon for 5 minutes or so in 1 tbsp olive oil. Just enough to get it a little crispy. Transfer the bacon to into the pie crust and spread evenly on the bottom. Add the other tbsp of olive oil to the pan and cook the onion and thyme. Sautee until soft and slightly caramelized. Transfer to the pie crust and spread evenly. Shred the cheese and sprinkle evenly in the pie crust. Mix everything else in a bowl. Egg Beaters, milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg. Pour into the pie crust until the level reaches about 1/4" from the top. You have to leave some room because it's going to puff up. Bake for about 45 minutes on the bottom rack until the surface is golden brown. Most of the surface may be more brownish than golden brown. It will seem pretty loose when you pull it out, but let it sit for 20 minutes or so and it will stiffen up pretty good. (that's what she said)
3/25/08 8:16 PM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Mar-08
If you want to cut the fat and sodium in half, you could take out the cheese. I haven't done it, personally, but it probably wouldn't make a huge difference.
3/26/08 9:32 AM
Tys

Edited: 26-Mar-08
Quiche, delicious and delightful.
3/26/08 12:11 PM
GaryG
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Mar-08
My threads

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.