UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Who are You Reading These Days

3/26/08 6:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sanguine cynic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Mar-08

The last philosophy book I read was "Consciousness Explained" by Daniel Dennett. I was thinking of getting Deleuze's book on Nietzsche as my next buy
4/6/08 4:53 AM
PR
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 6 2008 12:00A
"The Basic Writings of JS Mill." Includes On Liberty, The Subjection of Women an Utilitarianism.
4/8/08 2:53 AM
baxter stockman

Edited: Apr 8 2008 12:00A
pr, there's a real short book that most libraries and definitely any university library would have called "utilitarianism, for and against". it's an excellent essay to gain perspective on utilitarianism. it fills in some of the gaps in mill's presentation of utilitarianism, outlines some of the oppositions contentions with it, and generally illuminates the matter.

it's easy when reading one philosopher or the other to kind of get lost in the details and miss some plot holes here and there. "...for and against" is a very fair, impartial sort of cliff's notes to the argument. and it's written from a 20th century perspective, which helps, too.
4/8/08 4:59 AM
Joe Ray
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 8 2008 12:00A
Diplomacy by Henry Kissinger

Living with Nietzsche. What the Great "Immoralist" has to Teach Us. Solomon, Robert C.

And a book on the Scottish contribution to the British Empire by conservative historian Michael Fry
4/23/08 7:13 AM
PR
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 23 2008 12:00A
thx Baxter.
4/29/08 4:15 PM
twinkletoesCT
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 29 2008 12:00A
Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
baxter,

Who are some of the authors of that? I'm a big fan of AU and would love to read some contemporary pieces on it, especially criticisms.
4/29/08 5:25 PM
baxter stockman

J. J. C. Smart, Bernard Williams

lol @ it being nearly $30 on amazon.com

it's 155 pages and in every school in the western world

if it stays out of print, though, i might cash in and sell mine...

4/29/08 5:27 PM
baxter stockman

from amazon:

Product Description

Two essays on utilitarianism, written from opposite points of view, by J. J. C. Smart and Bernard Williams. In the first part of the book Professor Smart advocates a modern and sophisticated version of classical utilitarianism; he tries to formulate a consistent and persuasive elaboration of the doctrine that the rightness and wrongness of actions is determined solely by their consequences, and in particular their consequences for the sum total of human happiness. This is a revised version of Professor Smart's famous essay 'an outline of a system of utilitarian ethics', first published in 1961 but long unobtainable. In Part II Bernard Williams offers a sustained and vigorous critique of utilitarian assumptions, arguments and ideals. He finds inadequate the theory of action implied by utilitarianism, and he argues that utilitarianism fails to engage at a serious level with the real problems of moral and political philosophy, and fails to make sense of notions such as integrity, or even human happiness itself. Both authors are agreed on utilitarianism's importance: it cuts across a number of different philosophical disputes and combines a systematic account of mata-ethical problems with a distinctive and substantive moral stand. It thus is, or involves, philosophy in both the traditional and the narrower, professional sense of the word, and is a key topic (often the first topic) in introductory philosophy courses. This book should also be of interest to welfare economists, political scientists and decision-theorists.

4/29/08 10:45 PM
sanguine cynic

I'm now currently working on

The Selfish Gene by Dawkins, next will be Sperm Wars by Robin Baker and then the Evolution of Morality by Richerd Joyce
4/30/08 7:39 AM
Joe Ray
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 30 2008 12:00A
I'm now reading some books on the ancient greeks.
4/30/08 5:28 PM
twinkletoesCT
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 30 2008 12:00A
Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
Thanks baxter!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.