UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> My old swing coach is back

3/31/08 12:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Animal Chin
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Mar-08

this is fucking outstanding.  this is the guy that built my swing before i quit playing this last time.  he had me hitting it as good as i ever have.  we're about to go out to the course and hopefully he gets me unfucked.

hello old swing and 20 more yards.

kyle simmons.  if anyone is in vegas you need to see this dude. 

3/31/08 1:32 PM
BigKiller
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good shit. I got fitted for my new gear this week. Flatter lie than I thought I'd need. It's a result of me dropping it inside/flatter on the way down (think..mini Furyk move). I'm not too concerned as a) I know I can play well if I'm a little flat b) I draw everything c)ALL CONTACT WAS MADE DEAD CENTRE This long post was basically to say, I don't use a teacher much because my swing is never going to be picture perfect due to all the injuries I've sustained over my life. I prefer working with people that "coach" instead of "teach" as they tend to focus on the important parts that make up a good swing as opposed to building a picture perfect swing.
3/31/08 6:40 PM
Animal Chin
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I prefer working with people that "coach" instead of "teach" as they tend to focus on the important parts that make up a good swing as opposed to building a picture perfect swing."

hell yes.  this guy is the master of building a swing to use your strengths.  he's good friends with butch harmon and has a spot at his school whenever he wants it, so he knows his shit.  a great dude, too.  right now he's having some problems with cancer so everything is on hold for now.

he got me straightened out pretty easily.  he took my hands out of it and everything feels more controlled to let me rotate my torso at a higher speed.  i was in a such a confident feeling position that i started swinging as hard as i did when i competing in the lda.  i'll need to work on it but things felt really good on a few holes.

4/4/08 4:08 PM
Animal Chin

Edited: Apr 4 2008 12:00A
this guy is the fucking man. last night i wrote down some tips to remember with this new swing. i just got back from work and the same piece of paper, with my notes on it, is taped to my door. my buddy stopped by and wrote down a couple of other things, and why i need to do them, while i was gone.

i'm going to hate it when he goes back to vegas.
4/5/08 9:18 AM
Gforce
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 5 2008 12:00A
Speaking of tips, I just picked up two ESPN Golf School/Hank Haney DVDs.

The guy has an excellent teaching and speaking style--very easy to understand.

It's no substitute for working with a good coach on site--still, there is some very good info there. And the dics are CHEAP on Amazon.
4/5/08 10:05 AM
Animal Chin

Edited: Apr 5 2008 12:00A

haney is a great teacher.  you're right, there's no subsitute for hands on, but you can get some great tips to put in your head with those videos if you don't have access to a coach.

4/6/08 12:12 AM
Gforce
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 6 2008 12:00A
Yeah, he's awesome. I also bought a Jim McLean DVD at the same time--I can barely watch it. McLean comes across as a professor in an accounting course, while Haney comes across as Sperry doing a private lesson (although not as funny).

Haney just has a really clear teaching style and he cuts through the bullshit and gives some real solid info.

There is an absolutely terrific "faults and fixes" segment at the conclusion of the driver part of the 3 club tour.

He talks about slicing and how high handicap players tend to make a shoulder turn back while dragging their clubhead low to the ground (using hands and arms to get vertical only very late in the swing) while better players tend to get vertical early in the swing.

The reverse happens coming down, the flat takeaway leads to an outside loop, steep downswing and out-to-in swing while the better player finishes by looping inside, swinging flat and from the inside.

Best $12.99 I've spent in a long time.
4/7/08 8:02 AM
BigKiller

Edited: Apr 7 2008 12:00A
"while the better player finishes by looping inside, swinging flat and from the inside."

Thank Jebus! This is exactly what I'm doing now.
4/18/08 10:45 AM
beerbelly
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 18 2008 12:00A
How do you guys feel about David Leadbetters DVD's? My mother picked me up one, haven't watched it yet, just wondering if anyone has seen any of his instructions. I was lucky enough to play 18 yesterday here in MN, and now I am going to play 36 tomorrow...damn I love springtime!!
4/18/08 10:48 AM
BigKiller

Edited: Apr 18 2008 12:00A

Leadbetter is very good.

He does a weekly segment on the Golf Channel's "The Turn".

He breaks things down quite well.

It just depends on if his teaching style matches your learning style.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.