UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Anyone with a Religious Studies degree?

4/3/08 12:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 3 2008 12:00A

curious...are you acually doing anything with it (academically, not in a religious manner)?

me? I became a teacher...the only time I really use anything of my degree is when I teach about the Reformation-
4/6/08 2:46 AM
Polaris
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 6 2008 12:00A
Nope, but if I were to go for a PhD that's most likely what it would be for, Hinduism in particular is of great interest to me.
4/17/08 1:12 PM
Seul
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 17 2008 12:00A
what do you teach?
4/26/08 11:31 AM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 26 2008 12:00A
5th grade
7/6/08 11:51 PM
Shootozen

^ thanks
7/19/08 4:28 AM
GrandInquisitor
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm actually getting back to school in August to finish my BA in religious studies so I can start my JD/Ph.D program.

I've had a brutal school schedule over the past 6 years because my health has been TERRIBLE and I've missed at least 3 full years (many times I would go a semester and then end up in the hospital for a month and miss a semester or two), but I am VERY excited to get back on track and get back to what I love.

If you are serious about possibly getting into RS, shoot me an email, as I would be happy to talk about my experiences, good and bad (suicidebooth AT hotmail.com).

I think the biggest pitfall people sometimes fall into is either getting into RS to either re-affirm their religious beliefs, or to "explore" their own mystical/religious yearnings. RS can be very demanding on your "soul" (I use that term in the loosest way possible) at times, as you are constantly reading primary religious source material and dealing with religious people, which often makes you consider what that religion can offer you (that feeling often fades). Actually, one of my old RS professors who was married to a psychology professor said religious studies students often deal with the same issues graduate psych students deal with (they all become convinced they have umpteen different rare mental illnesses because they are surrounded by mental illness 18 hours a day).

Religious studies is a fantastic major for serious students; I don't want to sound flip, but in my experience I've found that with RS (which is probably true of most majors, but to a lesser degree) if you put very little in, you get almost nothing in return. But those who do actually work hard an invest hard work into their studies, there are some fantastic opportunities out there---here's a list of some of my friends who have gone on to other pursuits after they graduated with their BA in RS:

-Working for the UN analyzing the roles of religion and religious groups in conflict zones

-Finishing his JD in th Navy to work as a JAG officer specializing in cases involving religion.

-Working for the State department in the religious discrimination prevention division

And then many others have gone on to grad school to study a million different little aspects of every imaginable faith. Personally, when I finish my BA in about a year, I'm off to Law school (Case Western Reserve) where I'm hoping to get on the International/Human Rights law track and come out and hopefully work for the UN or some other human rights group.

PS - If you are willing and have some other strong interests, I strongly believe it is a good idea to double major (or at the very least get one or two minors). As of now, I've already finished my coursework in Asian Languages and Literature (focused on Sanskrit and South Asian religious writings) and now, since I'm transferring to Indiana University to finish my degree, I've getting to their Individualized Major Program (AMAZING program by the way) where I'm building a major around political violence and the religious justifications that are invoked to initiate catastrophic and genocidal surges of violence. Being a double major not only allows you to diversify your interests, but it also shows grad schools that you are well rounded and intellectually curious.

I've rambled on too long and with as late as it is, I'm beginning to worry that my sentences are going to start sounding like records played backwards.

All said, PLEASE, feel free to email about anything! I love to talk religious studies and it would be great to bring someone into the fold!
7/19/08 4:31 PM
Shootozen

^ thanks man- I have a B.A. in RS...was wondering if anyone else has one and what they do with it-

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.