UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Easy Smoothies?

4/3/08 2:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
THAGE
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 3 2008 12:00A

Ok I havent upgraded to a serious smoothie maker yet, but I can still use my current setup to make them.

Anyway buying smoothies everyday is getting expensive so I wanted to know some simple, healthy, high protein smoothie ideas.

I'll probably base most of the smoothie on a meal replacement powder to get the protein, but any ideas on different fruit and nut/seed mixtures, energy additives would be great!

Thanks in advance guys!

4/3/08 2:49 PM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1.  eat tacos

2. take laxitives

4/3/08 4:38 PM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You don't need a fancy smoothie maker. If you have a good blender, it will work fine. Here's a quick summary to get you started.

For protein, use protein powder

To add sweetness, use honey

Buy lots of frozen berries, all kinds, whatever you like. Maybe mangos or whatever else.

You're going to need milk or soy/rice milk. I use soy milk.

Get some vanilla extract

If you like caffeine, buy some caffeine anhydrous from 1fast400.com. It's cheap, like $15 for a lifetime supply.

Psyllium husk, use it, love it.

If you want to get into the antioxidant thing, consider goji berries, acai and stay heavy on the blueberries.

For omega 3's, make sure to pick up some flax oil and/or flax seeds.

plain yogurt (optional)

Don't overthink it too much. If you think something sounds good, it probably will be.

I will typically have something like this in the morning...

fill the blender halfway with blueberries and blackberries, add a scoop of protein powder and some yogurt, about 1 tbsp of honey, about 2/3 of 1/8 tsp of caffeine (1/8 teaspoon is the smallest one I have, so I just eyeball it.. this will be about 220 mg of caffeine), a tbsp of psyllium, small handful of goji, then start pouring soy milk until it fills in all the gaps and reaches the top of the fruit.

I don't use ice most of the time, but some people do.

Here's the thing, though, with frozen fruit. Your blender probably will not be able to handle 100% all frozen fruit. It will be a very thick and icy paste, more like ice cream. If it's for breakfast, I suggest putting it together the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. By morning, it should be thawed, so you can just put the pitcher back on the base and blend. If it's not for breakfast, you're going to have to use at least 50% fresh fruit, thaw the frozen fruit somehow or keep a rotation going where you have a container in the fridge of thawed fruit/berries/whatever.

I only suggest frozen fruit because it costs like 1/3 as much, especially berries, which tend to be the best for smoothies.

Lastly, if you want to use nuts or seeds, you have to grind them the night before in a spice grinder and let them soak overnight in something or they will be too grainy.
4/3/08 10:18 PM
BrooklynZoo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scoop of protein powder (I prefer vanilla flavored)
Couple tablespoons of vanilla flavored yogurt
3-4 cubes of ice
1/4 cup of skim milk
one banana
handful of berries (blue, straw, etc.)

Blend, enjoy
4/11/08 1:45 PM
drunkenfighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 11 2008 12:00A
I buy a 2 litre (Canadian) jug of egg whites and use them (raw) in my fruit smooties. It is pure protein and much better for you than most powders - and don't worry about the taste, once it is mixed, you will not taste them at all.

It works out to about $0.50 for approx. 30+grams of protein.

BTW - it is safe to drink raw too.
4/13/08 5:12 AM
PassionOrange
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 13 2008 12:00A
a cheap smoothie:

I call this bean smoothie:

1 can black beans

1 box jello(fat free or low fat)

1 cup ice

1/2 cup skim milk

First of all you prepare the jello

then after the jello is hardened, place all the ingredients

listed above in a blender.

blend it enough so that the ice are small enough.

then walla!! u got a cheap shake, healthy and high in protein. It's really good. I highly recommend it =)
4/13/08 10:51 AM
alpo

Edited: Apr 13 2008 12:00A
bean smoothie, wtf?
5/15/08 5:33 PM
savage animal
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
5/15/08 8:42 PM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ the bean smoothie... sounds lethal.
5/16/08 10:43 AM
savage animal
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/16/08 10:50 AM
THAGE,Here is my breakfast:

8oz Odwalla Superfood (green kind that includes veggies)
6 oz (3 eggs) Liquid Egg Whites
2 tablespoons Carlson' fish oil

Creates a huge glass of smoothy, egg whites blend great with the superfood and you cannot taste the lemon-flavored fish oil, would gues a powdered multi would work in too.

I have an 8oz glass of fresh squeezed OJ too, on the side.

I cut out my nightly ice cream habit, bought frozen mixed berries for smoothies, but haven't found a good method yet, looking to minimalize additional ingredients. I wonder if I can use yogurt, but not milk to liquify. This far I have just thrown in some fruit juice, want to do pom. but so expensive.I think I'll start a thread about it...
6/6/08 11:15 AM
Resident A Hole
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I make this power smoothie every morning:

8-10oz soy milk
2 tbsp flax oil
30g protein powder
4 tbsp oats
handful of spinach leaves
1/2 of a large carrot- chopped
3 large frozen strawberries
1/2 cup frozen blueberries

If I have nonfat yogurt, i throw a scoop in there too. I also add fresh fruit sometimes when have it. You could make a better tasting smoothie if you don't care about nutrition, but this one tastes very good. You can't taste the spinach or the carrots, the berries mask it perfectly. I use enough frozen fruit that I don't need to add ice. You can substitute any frozen fruit you like, but the blueberries mask the veggies best. Flax oil has a subtle nutty taste, much better for a smoothie than olive oil or flavored fish oil.
6/6/08 12:34 PM
savage animal

Resident A**hole,

That's a hell of a drink my fren

What kind of industrial strength blender are you using to get the carrots, Spinach, etc. liquified?
6/9/08 12:18 PM
DoctorLizardo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i might try some spinach leaves in my smoothies

6/10/08 12:17 PM
Resident A Hole
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

savage animal - Resident A**hole,
That's a hell of a drink my fren

What kind of industrial strength blender are you using to get the carrots, Spinach, etc. liquified?

I use a Krups blender, a pretty nice one, but not industrial strength. Any blender beyond the cheapest Walmart model should work for this smoothie. Frozen strawberries are probably the hardest part to blend in that mix, spinach/carrots is nothing.
6/10/08 12:20 PM
Resident A Hole

Smoothie tip-
adding some avocado slices will make the creamiest smoothie you've ever had. You can't taste it, but you'll really notice the difference in texture, it's almost like a milkshake. 6-7 raw cashews have the same effect to a lesser degree.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.