UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> Help?

4/6/08 9:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gordon Gekko
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 6 2008 12:00A

I am just starting to be able to swing again after having wrist surgery and I'm looking for a few new drills that will get me back on track. I played w/my wrist hurt for about 2 years and developed a lot of bad habits.

It hurt to come through the ball so now I have trouble fully swinging my wrists through contact and into the follow through. At some point I also got in the habit of coming over the top and hitting huge slices to the right or dead pulls left. Before the injury I liked to work the ball but hit mostly draws, with my misses usually being pulls. Then with the wrist injury those pulls became big slices w/the clubface wide open and started to happen waaaay too often.

I know I just need to start practicing again and start repeating some good swings but any good drill suggestions to get me swinging back from the inside and through the ball would help.

A little background info: I was a 2 handicap after my freshman year of college. Then I started playing a lot my sophmore year and was playing really good. I didn't keep up with my handicap at school but was avgeraging par or better consistently over the course of the year. Then I hurt my wrist and couldn't play for a few months.. The last 2 years have been a struggle, I lost tons of distance and accuracy, and probably played to around a 6 or 7.

Just hoping to get one or two drills or swing thoughts that will help me get back on track quicker once I can start swinging. So thanks ahead of time for the help.
4/7/08 8:00 AM
BigKiller

Edited: Apr 7 2008 12:00A
Hit balls with your feet together.

Start by making half swings, ie. club parallel to the ground on the way back (toe should be up/club face parallel to your spine) and then on the follow through (toe up).

You're coming over the top and you're not releasing the club well. The latter probably has to do with the wrist but if you start swinging inside-square-inside, it'll be easier to release the club.

It is impossible to come over the top with your feet together without falling over.
4/8/08 1:51 AM
Gordon Gekko

Edited: Apr 8 2008 12:00A
Thanks.. I'll try it out in a week or two and update how it goes..
4/8/08 7:54 AM
BigKiller

Edited: Apr 8 2008 12:00A
No problem.

You're probably over-swinging a bit too.

It's okay if your swing feels a little short (in reality, it won't be that short)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.