HolyGround >> Need some Help Holyground

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/10/08 4:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Taz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 10 2008 12:00A

OK so heres the deal.

Im with this extremely religious girl (Christian) and her faith is something that i really admire about her.

She hates the fact that I fight and always tells me she feels bad and feels like shes sinning because shes dating a fighter, and that 2 people should be equally yoked with god.

I never once thought twice about MMA as sinning, its my freakin life/passion!

Is there ANYTHING i can tell her or talk about with her that shes not compromising for god because shes dating a Pro MMA fighter?

Tried findin somethin in the bible and i just cant..
ANY help would be much appreciated...
4/10/08 6:45 AM
Joe Ray

Top 10 reasons to date a fighter!

10. They come in all shapes and sizes!

9. They are COCKY by nature!

8. Endurance, Endurance, Endurance!

7. They know when to wear their head gear!

6. They are constantly in and out with penetration from all angles!

5. They know how to work a 2 on 1!

4. They never stall on the bottom!

3. They will eat anything!

2. They can score from any position!

1. They know when to HIT IT HARD!

....tell your girl these 10 important reasons of why she is so lucky to be with you.
4/10/08 1:58 PM
MASK
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What exactly does she find offensive about it?  Its pretty much what josh said......if MMA is a sin then football and boxing are as well.  Lacrosse, rugby etc.

As far as being unequally yoked, she is correct.  Are you a Christian?  I mean, a real Christian.......not "do you go to church on Sundays"

4/10/08 2:49 PM
sovann

My suggestion to both of you is to cut bait ASAP.
It's your freaking life/passion and it's her integrity/faith. If you do work through this than that's good too because it will be a great measure of your ability to resolve a key issue. Lots of work though - will it be worth it to you?
4/10/08 4:38 PM
Ridgeback
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are elements of MMA that a Christian could argue are not compatible with a Christian life, but in this case it just sounds like an attempt to use Christianity to control you.  The unequally yoked thing means a Christian married to a non-Christian.

4/10/08 7:40 PM
Ridgeback
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She shouldn't even be dating you if you are not a Christian and if you guys are fornicating then she is just full of it and selectively using scripture to shape you into the man she wants.  That is a bad sign from any woman.  Women need to love the person they are dating before they get married or else disaster will be looming.  Unfortunately, many women believe that they will change the man they love, especially after they get married. 

4/10/08 10:05 PM
Taz

1st off thank you so much everyone for the replys!

Yes I am a Christian, We do NOT fornicate. Since being with her I have not drank drank alcohol, cussed at an extreme minimum, haven't smoked weed, and gone to church ALMOST every Sunday and some Mondays.

I am 20 and she is 22, Shes a virgin; I am not.
Shes an emigrant from Russia and I love every bit about her (LOVE that accent) So dont think i can bring up the USA war in Iraq thing..

Her favorite sport is Hockey.
I tell her all the time theres fights in Hockey but i cant convince her that its the same thing!
4/10/08 10:29 PM
MASK
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good to hear you arent doing those things.  But are you doing those things for her, or are you doing it because you esteem the sacrafice that Christ made? 

In other words, have you died to yourself........turned from your sins and put your trust in Christ?

4/10/08 10:40 PM
Ridgeback

Keep fighting then and  don't be proud of not drinking unless you drink to much when you do.  This is just one of those normal power battles couples have.  She will respect you more if you don't give in.

3/3/11 6:14 PM
5pointer

i am married but does she have a sister..... :)
4/21/11 7:54 PM
PastorJosh

5pointer - I myself compete as a fighter but primarily I am a full-time pastor. I have struggled with this big time. As you can imagine, it's not the best of ideas to be fighting on a Saturday night and preaching on a Sunday morning. I have ultimately made the choice to walk away from fighting as it was causing too much trouble within our church and I certainly want to nurture instead of divide. That being said, I believe 100% that mixed martial arts is a sport. I have defended it as such and will continue to defend it as such. Ask your girl if boxing is a sport. It is, obviously. Then explain to her that boxing has rules, a ref, a scoring system and time limits...all components of every single sport. So does mixed martial arts. You're participating in a sport in which both parties have agreed to engage in willingly and knowing all the risks. Phone Post
4/21/11 9:49 PM
5pointer

what? i am confused :)

i dont have the hot russian gf, nor do i compete...

i do have a hot american wife and have trained tho : )
4/22/11 1:46 PM
TheStewedOwl
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is an old thread from 2008, PastorJosh.

That being said, Paul probably trained in boxing and wrestling (pankration?) while attending the Roman gymnasia his dad sent him to, as that was part of the curriculum. Which explains the frequent sports metaphors he used.
4/29/11 8:42 PM
BigSherm

Taz when you fight is their hate or malice in your heart for the person you are fighting?

If not, then there is no problem, I am a former pastor and a former mma fighter and yes I fought while I was active as a pastor.

you should explain to her that when you fight it is not out of anger and you are not trying to deliberatly harm your opponent.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.