UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Paintball

4/10/08 10:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
merryprankster_au
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 10 2008 12:00A

Am currently in the process of organising a day of paintball for myself and some friends and it got me thinking.

Is paintball a realistic (very limited) training exercise for a real gun fight (of a similar nature)? I was thinking like sparring is to a real fight.

I have very little knowledge or experience with guns or military type training.

Other than the fact that there is no chance of death (thank god) the most obvious limitations that I thought of are the range and accuracy of guns.

Certain barricades etc.(dense foliage for example) give effective cover where they would not with a real, more powerful gun.

I imagine the range is comparatively close compared to a real situation (due to limitation of weapons, space and wanting to create "exciting"games).
4/13/08 2:29 AM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 13 2008 12:00A
The biggest problems with paintball relating to actual training are:

1) the guns aren't even close to a real handgun, carbine or rifle

2) there's no way to carry a paintball gun concealed or even in a holster really

3)If you're doing FoF drills, the guns can break pretty easily and are hard to use in grappling or fighting

4) the balls themselves aren't nearly as accurate as a real gun, you hvae a LOT more shots available to you before reloading and you tend to use 'accuracy by volume" (or at least I do :o)

You'd be better off getting some good airsoft guns, getting the paint pellets for them and playing with those if you want to relate it to training.

Check out Gabe Suarez's DVD's and books for ideas on training with airsoft.
4/13/08 4:45 PM
Kai Tremeche

Depends on what sort of training you do.Most Paintball guns have an effective range of around 40 yards.Most airsoft guns have an effective range of around 40 feet, even less for handguns.
4/13/08 11:43 PM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're wanting to practice for Self Defense training, then you should practice close range techniques and how to deploy a firearm during a fight. The reasons for having to use a firearm would be to protect your life during an assault, or a robbery attempt. Both of which happen in close up encounters. Not at logner ranges. Most crimes occur in conversation distances, not across fields.
4/20/08 7:28 PM
HULC
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 20 2008 12:00A
He never once mentioned deploying or concealing firearms, nor anything about robberies. He did specifically mention military training in his first post however, so i assume by gunfight he's talking about the type of firefight one could expect in a warzone. Not a home invasion.
4/20/08 8:18 PM
Skpotamus

Edited: Apr 20 2008 12:00A
I'm sorry, I thought the original question was asking about the validity of using a paintball gun to practice real gun fighting skills like the post asked. I gave a list of the downfalls to using a paintball gun for this type of training and an alternative that works better for practical self defense skills development as well as resources to look into for more help. >I have very little knowledge or experience with guns or military type training.< I took this to mean that he was looking for self defense training since he WASN'T in a military unit or law enforcement unit and had very little experience. After all, if you're not military or LEO, you're not going to get into a warzone engagement. You might get robbed, assaulted, or get your home invaded however. If this were to happen, a private citizen would most likely be carrying a handgun, and probably concealed. Meaning that Force on force training would be very valuable as just getting your firearm deployed and keeping the other guy from shooting you is a major part of surviving. A paintball gun won't work for this at all since most are far too bulky and can break pretty easily when you get rough with them (at least all of mine have). What a paintball gun can do is let you practice shooting at buddies who are shooting back. The guns aren't like anything you would have on you if you're not military or law enforcement however. You can do the same thing with an airsoft that better approximates a gun you might actually have on you, allow you to use your sights, allow you to practice your drawstroke, fight for the gun, and not worry about breaking the thing as easily. Just my experiences at least in training, YMMV.
4/21/08 4:22 AM
merryprankster_au

Edited: Apr 21 2008 12:00A
My original question was aimed more at the comparison of paintball compared to a real military type gun battle.

However the comparison and discussion of the limitations of paintball to self-defense type scenarions is also interesting:)
4/22/08 6:40 PM
Kai Tremeche

Edited: Apr 22 2008 12:00A
As far as Military Gun battles, you're trading resemblance for usage. Airsoft guns simply don't have any range.
4/23/08 8:34 PM
Skpotamus

Edited: Apr 23 2008 12:00A
Airsoft guns have an effective range varying from 25-100 meters depending on the type of gun used. There are clubs and groups that do full military battle recreations using airsoft guns. As well as a lot of police and military units doing training with them. (my exposure to them was via the police academy when I was visiting a trainer there). There are even airsoft sniper leagues and guns that get around 600 fps Anything other than an actual MILES gear won't let you get out to realistic engagement ranges (I've read the average was 125 yards).
4/23/08 9:40 PM
Kai Tremeche

Edited: Apr 23 2008 12:00A
25-100 meters? I've never seen either an Electric or a Gas powered that could effectively be used outdoors like a paintball gun can. The best I've seen is around 30 yards with having to arc them. Paintballs have about a 35 yard FLAT range.
4/25/08 9:46 PM
Skpotamus

Edited: Apr 25 2008 12:00A
You cam look it up, they have sniper competitions with airsoft.

There were some vids on you tube of 60-100 yards shots
4/26/08 1:23 PM
Kai Tremeche

Edited: Apr 26 2008 12:00A
Skpotamus: Weird, my friend has multiple AEGs and Gas guns and they all basically can be used indoors, we can't even use them in his backyard because they don't have the range.

I've had paintballs coming in at me from across a field at least 200 yards away, and they didn't even have apex or flatlines on.
4/26/08 7:52 PM
Skpotamus

Edited: Apr 26 2008 12:00A
Check out Suarez international, they use airsoft for a lot of their force on force training (they kind of pioneered it). I think they recommend the KWA brand, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you really get into the airsoft stuff, they make airsoft shotguns and grenade launchers that actually shoot multiple pellets at once. I have relatives that are really into it (are on competition teams etc), hence me knowing something about them.

200 yard paintballs? That's impressive, far longer than I've ever seen or even heard of.
5/6/08 6:56 AM
Stonemann
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.