UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Just Added One More State License ...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/10/08 11:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Grappledog
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 10 2008 12:00A

to my collection!  I just found out last week that I passed the North Carolina bar examination, which is a relief.

So, that's four states for me:

Nevada 1992

California 1994

South Carolina 2005

North Carolina 2008

I think I'm done taking bar examinations now, but you can never say never again because I said that in 2005, and it turned out I was wrong. The particularly galling aspect of taking the NC bar, other than the general suckiness of filling out an incredibly burdensome application, paying a lot of money to take the thing and studying for yet another exam at my grizzled old age, was that North Carolina has reciprocity with some god awful number of jurisdictions (like 31), yet not with any jurisdiction that would do me any good.

For all of y'all who are currently awaiting results, good luck!  Opening the letter that had my fate printed on it was a creepy thing, indeed.  Fortunately, upon unfolding the letter, my eye immediately focused on the word "congratulations," so that was a good thing.

I'm still telecommuting from Charlotte to my job in Nevada, by the way, but looking for work here in Charlotte and in South Carolina.  Oddly and ironically enough, the job possibilities in the works for me now do not even require me to be licensed in North Carolina, so maybe it was all for nothing. Ain't that some shit, as the saying goes?

4/11/08 12:46 AM
Xtina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 11 2008 12:00A

congrats!

you sure you don't want to start collecting?  maybe do one a year?

4/11/08 12:52 AM
pm1964
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 11 2008 12:00A
Congrats.
4/12/08 12:39 AM
Shaz

Edited: Apr 12 2008 12:00A
You can probably add a bunch more through reciprocity.

BTW, how do you telecommute for a legal job?

-Shaz!
4/12/08 1:27 AM
Holden22

Congrats.  Unfortunately, I recently found out that I failed the NC bar for the second time.  Pretty much sucks.

4/12/08 12:13 PM
Grappledog
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the congratulations, all.

Shaz, I'm a legislative attorney for the Nevada Legislature (and the Legislature is not in session right now), so we mostly have a lot of legal opinions and administrative regulations to draft.  We scan and e-mail documents back and forth, and I talk on the phone a lot.  With modern technology, it's almost like being down the hall.  In fact, my boss told someone the other day that I am more accessible than the people who are actually in the office.

Holden, sorry to hear that.  NC is a tough bar, no doubt.  I have not seen an official pass rate from February, but it's got to be really low.  Some of the essay questions were just plain unfair, it seemed to me.  They like to focus excessively on the obscure, picayune points of law, rather than anything you are likely to encounter in your bar review.  In fact, on two of the questions, the criminal procedure/structured sentencing act and the First Amendment/cross-burning ordinance,  the only reason I had much to say at all is because I know a lot about criminal procedure (but not in NC) and remembered the Virginia v. Black SCOTUS case from a while back.  For the UCC question, I also know a fair amount about the UCC, seeing as how I am a Uniform Law Commissioner and have drafted all the UCC legislation in Nevada for more than a decade.  Nevertheless, I still had some minor points wrong on the structured sentencing act and the UCC questions.  Rule 41(a) voluntary dismissal is also kind of a fine point of law to make the basis of a question, but I also remember that from my early legal career and recalled reading that in the Bar Bri stuff, too.

In other words, I appear to have relied somewhat on my 16 years experience as a lawyer for some of those questions, rather than bar review.  Certainly, I relied more on my past experience than I did in SC 3 years ago.  I do not recall ever seeing some of those issues discussed in the Bar Bri materials that I had.  Maybe it was there, and I missed it, but I don't know.  NC does not release MBE scores if you pass, right?   So, I guess I won't know how I did on the MBE, but in the past, I have done extremely well on the MBE.  I think I probably did extremely well this time, too, so that probably helped.

4/12/08 6:58 PM
Holden22

I have actually spoken to several people who took the NC bar after having practiced for several years and they all felt that their previous experience helped them.  For the July 2007 and Feb. 2008 exams, there were 2 questions on both that were not covered by the BarBri material (one topic had one sentence about it in the big outlines).  A few people have made the point that NC and BarBri are in a big lawsuit right now and the NC bar examiners could be trying to push people away from taking BarBri for NC.  I don't have my tinfoil hat on right now, so I don't necessarily buy into all of that but it would not suprise me.

Regardless, congrats and I'll probably see you at the swearing in (my fiance passed and is being sworn in).

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.