UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Whiplash settlement

4/14/08 8:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Charlie Waffles
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 14 2008 12:00A

I was rear ended today by a City of Phoenix "dial-a-ride" shuttle driver. The cops estimate that she hit the guy behind me going about 40mph. Now I definitely have whiplash, but everyone I am talking to is telling me to get a lawyer and that government agencies are very difficult to work with. The reality of the situation is I want my vehicle fixed, all my medical bills related from the crash paid for and any time I miss work having to go to the doctor paid for. To me this seems fair and I feel like something I can do without an attorney. Or should I just look for accident injury attorney?
4/15/08 1:27 PM
jbapk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 15 2008 12:00A
Contact your insurance company, see if they'll provide one as part of your policy, if not call a lawyer.
4/15/08 6:55 PM
Cookie Monster
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 15 2008 12:00A
get to doctors, then to a lawyer
4/16/08 12:31 AM
Fake Pie

Edited: Apr 16 2008 12:00A
I'd honestly try it myself and see what kind of offers I could get out of the insurance company but I have some experience as an office worker in a PI firm. Even if you don't get as much as a lawyer might get you, you could still end up with more money in the pocket because PI lawyers will take a third.

I am pretty sure for something like whiplash I could get everything you are asking for myself plus a little extra for pain and suffering without getting a lawyer involved. We had a former claims adjuster that was our main pre-suit negotiator and he always said he would do it himself in such a situation and that the claims adjusters will be more willing to deal with you sans lawyer.

And I say this as I am about to graduate law school. Give it a shot. See what their offer is. You can always get a lawyer later, just don't sign anything.

Better to keep 100% rather than 66.6.
5/12/08 6:48 PM
old guard

don't do it yourself.

insurance companies are not fast, fair and friendly. they will screw you if they can.

if you handle it yourself they will set a low reserve to settle your claim because they think the have a live one (you). they figure they can over on individuals and will low ball you.

however, if all you want is your bills paid and loss of earnings you can screw yourself by yourself.

anyone who represents themselves has a fool for an attorney

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.