UnderGround Forums

NHLGround >> Nonis fired

4/15/08 12:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 15 2008 12:00A

I must say that I was in complete shock. I still don't know if this is a great move, but..... Lots of speculation who may be the new guy.

I thought that 3 years in: the guy that stole Luongo, had the team get a franchise record points last year, lost a lot of man-games to injury, has built up more prospects than they have had historically, has 8 UFA's this year that will free up a ton of money to build the team more in his vision.... I thought for sure he was going to have this summer to either put his stamp on the team or worst case fail & be done. Aquilini sure made an odd move considering the timing, but time will tell.

Names being tossed around as new GM:
Tambellini. Makes sense he has been groomed for the job for many years now BUT it was the old regime. Such a bold change may mean he's not far off from being let go for teh complete change which would be a shame. Great hockey guy and imo will be a fantastic GM. Hopefully in Vancouver.

Burke. Lots of talk of him coming back since he's unsigned at the end of the season. Still has strong ties to the team & area (his wife still spends a ton of time in Vancouver). Great GM never should have been let go by the old regime. That said Nonis has done a better job of building prospects for longterm success than Burke did. Would be alright, but has been there & done that. Though I would love to see Vancouver take a more "Duck-like" approach with skill, speed & toughness.

Quinn. His name always comes up due to the glory years. Might be far enough removed that it could work again. Still a great hockey guy imo but is getting up there in years. Tends to be a bit too loyal to players that sometimes patys off & sometimes bites him in the arse.

Holland. That's right, I've heard Ken Holland's name from a few sources now. Seems ridiculous off the top BUT.... He does have a home in Vernon, and the Wings have been grooming Yzerman to take over. Maybe now is the time for Stevie to take control & run with it. If there is even an iota of truth to it, this is THE guy to take over. He's the best GM in the game atm and having a guy like him to build the franchise would be amazing.

There are rumours that Linden may end up taking an Yzerman-like role with the franchise which would be cool.

Still blown away by the timing. Never saw this coming.
4/15/08 4:02 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scotty Bowman's name has been popping up too. Presser at 11am PST tomorrow.
4/15/08 9:12 AM
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think Holland or Bowman are going anywhere, personally. Ilitch has got the smarts and the money to keep them around. It will be interesting if they do leave, however. Mark
4/16/08 12:31 AM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 16 2008 12:00A
he got fired, but he pulled of one of the best trade sin franchise history by getting Luongo, I am pretty shocked he got fired, but I guess the team has to blame missing the playoffs on someone.
4/16/08 3:09 AM
Spankenstyne

Starting to hear rumours that they may make a play for Yzerman as well after the Worlds.. Should be interesting to see how it plays out. I don't think it'll be Burke, Quinn, or Bowman, and Holland is a longshot for sure but a very interesting one, same with Yzerman. I can't see Ilitch letting either go, but especially Yzerman who they've been grooming. I thought I mentioned him in the first post but Jim Nill's name comes up & is likely a front runner. I'd like to see Tambellini but he's too close to the last regime with too many ties to current staff and it looks like they want a clean slate. Should be interesting to see if Vancouver still manages to sign Fabian Brunnstrom who it seems was ready to sign for Nonis (over places like Detroit & TO).
4/16/08 12:44 PM
Mark1

I could definitely see Nill. I'll ask my friend who is a sports writer at one of the Detroit papers. He may have heard a rumor or two. Mark
4/17/08 2:15 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: Apr 17 2008 12:00A
Definitely do. I hear Quinn has been contacted but I'd like to see someone new. Nill has a playing history with the Nucks (Part of the 82 finals run) Nonis spoke today (kept slipping up and saying "we" about the team). He says Tambellini should be GM. Interesting.
4/19/08 2:17 AM
PR
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 19 2008 12:00A
Crazy.
4/21/08 4:02 PM
R-Mon

Edited: Apr 21 2008 12:00A
New ownership = Lame.

Can't believe they fired the guy without a plan in place for a new GM. Did any of you think it was ironic that they were looking for a GM who could lead when the owner couldn't demonstrate those skills himself.

I'm so mad that I hope Burke & Nonis go to the leafs, Brunnstrom signs with them, then proceeds to light it up to a Stanley Cup.

(maybe I'm not THAT mad, but I'm definitely steamed)
4/22/08 10:01 PM
Steamfitter

Edited: Apr 22 2008 12:00A
lol

Gillis was hired as GM of the Canucks. Linden, Bowman, Tambelini were never in the running. The local sports radio station (team1040) reported shortly after Nonis was canned that Gillis had the inside track on the job. Looks like they were right. Brunnstom will never play a game for the Canucks. The Aquilinis should have waited for Nonis to sign Brunnstrom.
4/23/08 1:59 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: Apr 23 2008 12:00A
Yeah heard tonight that they're going to announce Gillis as GM tomorrow. Team 1040 also reported various others had the inside track on the job for what it's worth. Gillis is a good pick though, I just hope he's not expected to be a patsy to a meddling owner & Aquilini lets him do his job. I have faith still, Aquilini was a longtime season ticket holder before becoming owner so he at least has the team's best interest at heart. Hopefully it translates into an improved team. It seems he was itching to put his own stamp on the team and be done with the old Orca Bay regime. Nonis is a good GM, the laffs would be lucky to snag a guy like him.
4/23/08 5:53 PM
R-Mon

Edited: Apr 23 2008 12:00A
The sad thing is you can't fire ownership.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.