UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> W On Transcript?

4/16/08 1:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hollywood Blonde
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 16 2008 12:00A

I am in my last semester as an undergraduate and have already been accepted to graduate school for political science. One of my majors is in history. This semester, I am receiving some course credit for an independent study related to an honors project I undertook. Without going into the details, at this point in the semester, I would prefer to withdraw from the course and not graduate with honors than attempt to make all of the changes that have been suggested to me by my committee members.

Will a "W" on my transcript for honors independent study come back to haunt me? I will never pursue a graduate degree in history, but I may look to switch from political science to psychology. Even if I have, say, a masters in political science at that point, I know I will have to submit my undergraduate transcripts again. What is more, one of my professors recently made an offhand comment to me about even having to submit his undergraduate transcripts when applying for a grant.

I do not care about the distinction of graduating with honors in history, I just do not want the "W" (in an honors independent study in my senior year no less) to reflect poorly on my academic record. Would it? Thanks in advance.
4/17/08 1:35 AM
Polaris
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 17 2008 12:00A
I don't know, but I have several and don't give a shit.
4/18/08 2:28 PM
Ted Bennett
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 18 2008 12:00A

If your GPA is solid, don't sweat it.

If you don't have a ton of them, don't sweat it.

I can't speak for everybody, but I've reviewed a ton of transcripts (both college and graduate school), and all I (and everyone else who does it with me, for internships and post-docs) look at the bottom line and a couple of very important courses (e.g., stats, research design, assessment, and that's it, for me).

Hell, I had ~6-7 W's on my transcript as an undergrad, but they were all in the first 3 semesters - and since I kicked ass in the last 6 semesters, clearly no one gave a damn, as I was competitive for grad schools and everything else since....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.