UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Judo in the Chicagoland Area?

4/17/08 12:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bigraydaddy
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 17 2008 12:00A

Where is there a place to learn Judo in the Chicago area?
Preferably in the South Suburbs, or NW Indiana area?
Thanks in advance......
4/17/08 1:18 AM
mbern
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check the links below from www.judoinfo.com

http://www.judoinfo.com/contacts/browse2.php?Country=United%20States&State=Illinois

http://www.judoinfo.com/contacts/browse2.php?Country=United%20States&State=Indiana

I cannot speak from person experience, but I have seen ppl on here in the past recommend Tohkon Judo and Cohen Judo.

I would recommend to go to as many as possible to see which one you like the best.

Good luck.
4/17/08 2:00 AM
RexKwonDo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tohkon will be closer for you than Cohens.

I would recommend you make the commute to Tohkon.
4/17/08 3:43 AM
bigraydaddy
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the reply's. Has anyone heard of Andre Campos?He runs a school kind of close to where I live.I guess he trained under Sensei Tak Mizuta. Has anyone heard of him?
Here's the link to the myspace page I found.
http://www.myspace.com/judoinmotion
Just a noob trying to get some info. Thanks again.
4/17/08 9:03 AM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the myspace page was difficult to read and get info. Visit the closest club and watch their Black belts and students. Are they an older club or do they develope younger students who are competitors? A beginner can learn the basics with either of these situations. The more serious athlete would go to Tohkon/Cohen but not necessary for a beginner. The fact you even have a judo club close by is a blessing. Visit local tournaments to find out where the competitors are coming from, you would be surprized. Also try Military Arts Institue in Chicago, they had player finish 2nd in the +100k at the recent Midwest Tournament. Good luck
4/17/08 10:01 AM
bigraydaddy

Judoblackbelt- Thanks again. Yeah I noticed that the myspace was hard to get info. I just figured I'd throw out the names, and see if anyone knew them. I appreciate all input.
4/17/08 12:40 PM
Captain Cunch
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.midwestjudo.com it's right off 55 in Darien, under Sensei Tim Boland.
4/17/08 9:40 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets us know what school you decide and your impressions of the ones you visited.
4/18/08 12:15 AM
bigraydaddy

Edited: Apr 18 2008 12:00A
WILL DO
4/28/08 9:12 PM
kumikata
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 28 2008 12:00A
bigraydaddy - Thanks for the reply's. Has anyone heard of Andre Campos?He runs a school kind of close to where I live.I guess he trained under Sensei Tak Mizuta. Has anyone heard of him?

Here's the link to the myspace page I found.

http://www.myspace.com/judoinmotion

Just a noob trying to get some info. Thanks again.

I have trained with Andre on and off for about 12 years. He teaches at a club in Flossmoor. We work out in a basement of a church. Practices are on Monday and Wednesdays 6:30-8:30. Tak Mizuta is usually there on Monday nights. Andre is very good and just started competing again about a year ago.
4/29/08 1:12 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 29 2008 12:00A
if i was in chicago, id do everything possible to go to Tohkon. if i was north of chicago, id do what i can to go to the cohen's.
5/23/08 2:34 PM
judoinmotion
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/23/08 2:42 PM
h
5/23/08 2:37 PM
judoinmotion
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/23/08 2:41 PM
h
5/23/08 2:43 PM
judoinmotion

Edited: 11/28/12 10:28 AM
<blockquote>bigraydaddy - Thanks for the reply's. Has anyone heard of Andre Campos?He runs a school kind of close to where I live.I guess he trained under Sensei Tak Mizuta. Has anyone heard of him?<br /><br />Here's the link to the myspace page I found.<br /><br />http://www.myspace.com/judoinmotion<br /><br />Just a noob trying to get some info. Thanks again.</blockquote><br /><br />Hi bigraydaddy. I am glad you found me and in deed we are very close from each other.I just want to clarify that Tak Mizuta is a very knowledgeable Sensei together with Drew Wickham, however I joined them in 2000 and I’ve being with SSJ ever since. I started judo in 73 in São Paulo, Brazil with Sensei Kameo Otagaki and Luis Carlos Novi, later I moved to Rio and trained at Gama filho university. As with many Brazilians judokas I also cross trained w/ BJJ , but my BB rank is in judo, currently sandan and Brown in BJJ. I’ve being around training in the judo schools (big and small) in the Chicagoland area and I go to Tohkon from time to time whenever I want to train hard or to prepare for a tournament. There, you will find black belts with different nationalities and different styles plus the people there really makes you feel at home I have great friends at Tohkon. You will also feel at home when you come and visit our school. So, stop by, watch a class and I hope you will like what you see! Best regards! Andre Campos
5/23/08 2:46 PM
judoinmotion

I have trained with Andre on and off for about 12 years. He teaches at a club in Flossmoor. We work out in a basement of a church. Practices are on Monday and Wednesdays 6:30-8:30. Tak Mizuta is usually there on Monday nights. Andre is very good and just started competing again about a year ago.

Yes my friend! 12 years! Our bodies are not holding up well hum?
6/2/08 5:14 PM
judoinmotion

Edited: 11/11/12 3:00 PM
ttt
11/11/12 3:00 PM
judoinmotion

Edited: 11/11/12 3:00 PM
Just to let everyone know that we offer two weeks of free tryout classes. Our Judo and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is one program and we grade students on both arts. We are associated with Carlson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Team.
We also have open mat on Fridays from 7 to 9 PM.
3309 Vollmer rd
Flossmoor, IL
(708) 960-4913
12/10/12 9:06 AM
judoblackbelt

I would first try midwestjudo in Darien and Andre Campos school in Flossmore. I think they would be friedlier to older judoka. I am 62 and I train with older judo (over 40).
12/21/12 3:41 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

go look at them all and decide for yourself. judo is not a 'possessive' entity. you go and try and you decide. they are all good people, but they each offer something different.
12/21/12 4:12 PM
matt murdock
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.valkobjj.com BJJ influced by Cohen judo. 

12/28/12 5:14 AM
judoblackbelt

It is. If you read the above posts recommended were schools for age old judokas along with the schools where the tuff guys train. I would look for where I can learn judo from excellent instructors ( all the above schools) and there are guys my age/weight to train with. Location is a factor also.
12/30/12 10:26 PM
JoshuaResnick

First off... If you knew the judo community in Chicago like i do, you wouldn't have made that silly little post....

And, without actually knowing the person I ask not going to make a strict recommendation unless I know with absolute certainty that a particular place would be dangerous.... None of the clubs in Chicago would be a danger to the poster, all of them do a great job of working with everybody.

1/21/13 12:28 PM
judoinmotion

Starting in March 2013. I'll start a new Judo program for kids and adults at Carlson Gracie Academy located at:

2866 N Milwaukee Ave in Chicago. The classes will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4 to 5 for kids and from 8:30 to 9:30 PM for adults.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.