UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> ? about Sony Vegas & other software

4/17/08 7:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Monroe
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 17 2008 12:00A

I have a hard drive-based camcorder and am looking for a good video editing program for DVD-quality but not HD material. I am looking at Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum, but I read that even when editing MPEG2 (which my camcorder records video as) it renders it again as an MPEG2 and loses quality. So my questions are

1. Would I still be able to get standard DVD quality video despite this, and if not,

2. Are there any good programs that let you edit MPEG2 video and burn to DVD without re-rendering it?

Thanks
4/29/08 7:19 AM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 29 2008 12:00A
Short answer is no.

Technical reason is that MPEG2 is an interframe form of compression, meaning that the compression for any given frame is dependent on the frames before & after it. So when you edit frames away, you fuck up every other frame that happens to reference the ones you cut.

There are ways around that, but they either require recompression or a shitload of computing power that you probably can't afford.

Basically, you need to record & edit in DV, which is an intraframe-only compression scheme.

HD is irrelevant to this issue.
5/1/08 2:07 AM
Monroe
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: May 1 2008 12:00A
Well fuck. I already have some MPEG2 shit on my hard drive camcorder, what kind of quality can I hope for? I will be editing on a new PC with a 45nm Intel Q9450 (3.2 Ghz Quad-Core, 12 MB cache) & 4Gb RAM. Thanks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.