UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fred Ettish, the MAN is back!!!!

4/23/08 5:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dojosensei
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 23 2008 12:00A

Taken from FULL CONTACT FIGHTER.com

FRED ETTISH WANTS REDEMPTION
Will YAMMA Pit Fighting Give It To Him?
By Jim Genia

Fred Ettish stepped into the Octagon at UFC 2, and on that night in March of 1994, he did what many fighters have done in there since: he lost. Yet unlike all those who were knocked out, tapped out, given the thumbs-down by the judges or saved by the referee, Ettish suffered for years the ridicule of people who viewed him – with his white karate uniform, Shorin-Ryu black belt and rigid fighting stance – as the face of traditional martial arts in the new MMA world. It was an unfair and undeserved burden to bear for a fight just over three minutes long. But an appearance in one of YAMMA Pit Fighting’s “masters superfights” could give Ettish a much-needed shot at redemption. It’s a shot he deserves.

What has Ettish been up to all these years? “Training, training, training, training and teaching,” says the 52-year-old. “I’m a Miletich Fighting Systems affiliate instructor. I run my own gym… I train fighters and work out with them. I try to do the best I can to stay involved with the sport – doing some refereeing… judged quite a few shows, did some commentary work. A little bit here and there, but mainly just working out, staying in shape, and trying to help other people get ahead in the sport.” What of Ettish’s Shorin-Ryu Karate training? “I still train in that. I haven’t left anything behind – I just added a whole lot.”

At the inaugural YAMMA Pit Fighting event in Atlantic City, old-school warriors Oleg Taktarov, Mark Kerr and Pat Smith all stepped into the cage – with Smith, a UFC 2 veteran himself, emerging victorious after taking out Eric “Butterbean” Esch. Ettish’s thoughts on the latest Bob Meyrowitz brainchild? “I absolutely want to fight in that,” says the 170-pounder. “In my heart and my soul I’ve got a lot of unfinished business, a lot of unresolved things that I’ve tried to work out of my system in various ways since 1994 and UFC 2. I’ve been only limited in my success in that. I’ve come to grips with a lot of things and dealt with a lot of things, but still inside of me there’s this driving desire to prove, more to myself than anybody else, what I can do and what my true capabilities are.”

Is there anyone in particular Ettish would like to fight? “That doesn’t really matter to me,” he says. “I don’t have any axes to grind with anybody, and I don’t think that’s what the sport’s about anyway.”

Ettish has already made Meyrowitz aware that, if YAMMA Pit Fighting will have him, he’s down for a fight. But he’s not sure if Meyrowitz understood just how much a fight would mean to him. “Give me a chance,” says Ettish. “I know I’m old. [Meyrowitz] asked me how old I was when I called him. But I will surprise him and everybody who doesn’t know me already. My conditioning is – it’s hard for me to talk about myself, but I’m in the gym everyday working out with kids in their teens and twenties. My cardio, my conditioning overall is excellent. I will go out there and fight with every ounce of heart and soul I can muster, and I guarantee that whatever happens, I’m giving you one percent of what I got. I admire the fact that [Meyrowitz] was there in the beginning, he helped create this sport that has grown and evolved into what it is today. I was there from almost the beginning, and what better way to reunite than to bring me back to the old show – and this time I’ll do it in a different way.”

Adds the UFC old schooler: “There’s something inside of me that needs to do this.”
4/23/08 5:37 PM
MMA Playwrite
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

“In my heart and my soul I’ve got a lot of unfinished business, a lot of unresolved things that I’ve tried to work out of my system in various ways since 1994 and UFC 2. I’ve been only limited in my success in that. I’ve come to grips with a lot of things and dealt with a lot of things, but still inside of me there’s this driving desire to prove, more to myself than anybody else, what I can do and what my true capabilities are.”

Do it!
4/23/08 5:41 PM
FreekHamakerFan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OH MY GOD! I just got interested in Yamma! GO FRED!
4/23/08 5:44 PM
Wontsubmit
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome fred!!!!!!!!

4/23/08 5:44 PM
Dojosensei
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As someone that spent months and months and months daily on the mats with Fred, I'll be the first to say whoever he gets a fight with, has their hands full. Fred is in AMAZING SHAPE and has endurance like an 18 yr old. I've seen him outlast everyone in class, teens, 20's and put me to shame with his cardio. Great standup skills, ground ain't too shabby either hehe. By far nowhere near the fighter you saw in UFC 2. Fred has trained, trained, trained and trained more for years and years and my god, it shows. Fred, you know when you do get that fight, whatever fight it is, got your back man!
4/23/08 5:45 PM
eqard 1

iwould love to see fred vs 47 year old kelly rundle from dallas tx !
4/23/08 5:46 PM
parklife
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT What weight class Fred?
Mike Yelsik

He is one tough guy
GNPfan
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope they give you a chance to get in there and fight. And no doubt the whole gang here will be cheering you on. Hope this happens for you!
4/23/08 5:53 PM
Ror

I am 49 going on 50 myself...I love working out and can keep up with most people I work out with., If this does happen, give the fans what they want, but if it does, give him someone that would make a good fight, same weight class etc etc. go to the front of the line Fred...
4/23/08 5:54 PM
Dojosensei

165 to 175 roughly if I remember correctly. Last I talked weight he was down to his high school weight and IN SHAPE LIKE A MOFO. You're talking about a guy that teaches the MFS cardio drills with weights and medicine balls, boxing cardio classes, plus MMA/standup/grappling classes. FRED IS ALWAYS IN THE GYM TRAINING!!! Morning, afternoon and evening classes and HE'S PARTICIPATING IN THEM at the same time he's teaching them. NUMEROUS times, ok, too many to count, Fred had me on the verge of puking with these drills while he's having NO ISSUES doing them.
4/23/08 5:54 PM
Jason Tornado

Awesome, TTT

4/23/08 5:56 PM
Hollywood Blonde

ttt for Fred!
4/23/08 5:57 PM
Einar
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for Fred Ettish. A true class act. I'll be rooting for him.
4/23/08 5:58 PM
shen
668 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would LOVE to see him fight!!!

I will order YAMMA if he does!

He's a man on a mission.
4/23/08 6:00 PM
Nacirema

Damn, if this happens in AC I'll be there. He posts here on the UG and seems like a cool guy. Let him have his shot at redemption.
Maxximus
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whether he wins or loses, he'd deserve serious respect for wanting to step back into MMA after all these years, and after all the undeserved shit he probably had to put up with for his loss in UFC 2.

It would also be fascinating for long time MMA fans to be able to see how Ettish has evolved as a fighter and MA'ist. If they find him an opponent that makes sense (considering Ettish's age and lack of substantial ring experience), I think it'd be a great thing for Ettish and serious fans of the sport. Hope someone makes it happen, and if it does good luck to Fred Ettish!
JOB
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucking awesome. Best of luck Fred.
4/23/08 6:01 PM
PimpedByThePundit
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GO FRED! I will be rooting for him 100% no matter who he fights!

4/23/08 6:04 PM
OneManArmy (tm)

The Fetal Fighting arts have returned!!!!

4/23/08 6:06 PM
Einar
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No matter how his fight at UFC 2 went, it took some serious balls to step into that cage. IMO, more than it does today, considering the lack of rules back then, and all the unknown factors, since it was such a new sport. Not to mention, Fred took a real beating before finally giving up. I doubt there are many of the people bashing Fred for his performance that wouldnt have tapped out a lot sooner.
4/23/08 6:09 PM
siouxNYC
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
4/23/08 6:11 PM
JKING
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YAMMA MAKE IT HAPPEN!
4/23/08 6:13 PM
mestregruber
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He didn't even tap to the beating, IIRC - he got choked. LOL at this typo, though: "I guarantee that whatever happens, I'm giving you one percent of what I got." P.S. WAR ETTISH!
4/23/08 6:19 PM
Dojosensei

yeah, I kinda caught that 1% thing too haha.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.