UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> Hole in One?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/24/08 12:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BMF12
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 24 2008 12:00A

Three years ago, I got my first one. It wasn't a thing of beauty by any means but I'll take it.

On the day I got it, I was playing with one other guy. To top it off, the course was dead so only he and I witnessed it. Talk about an anti-climatic situation.

Anyone else with an Ace in the bank?
4/25/08 2:13 PM
insaneshane

Edited: Apr 25 2008 12:00A
no nothin yet.

you didnt tell us the details though man .. one hopper? straight in the cup?

was it ugly?
4/26/08 1:08 PM
BMF12

Edited: Apr 26 2008 12:00A
It was a 168 par-3 with the wind blowing in my face. The pin placement was towards the back of the green. There was water to the left and front of the green (not an island green) but you could easily get in trouble if you came up short or pulled it.

I dropped down a club because of the wind so I used a 7 iron. I didn't want to be short. Fairly clean strike with not as much loft as I would have liked, but the ball was heading right at the flag. It landed stiff on the green bounced twice and rolled up to the hole and then disappeared. When it first landed, I didn't get the sense that it was going to have legs to roll as much as it did, but the lower than normal trajectory helped it out.
5/10/08 5:54 AM
erikmfx
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/10/08 6:46 AM

Got a hole in one at a par 3 course many years ago.  Arroyo Seco in So Pasadena, CA.  It was 117 yards.  It was a busy day so the three friends with me saw it as well as the group behind us and one guy from the group ahead of us.  Everyone who saw it  shouted out as it went into the hole. 

I'll never forget it.   I felt it all the way to the soles of my feet

5/22/08 1:41 PM
MIKEBROOKS

10" is my closest.....

Still cant seem to drop in in there.... Side note what is with the freakish people with 20-30-40 hole in ones?

Hole-in-one tidbits....

Most Holes In One
Norman Manley - 59 "Aces"
His first ace was in 1964 and made 4 holes-in-one in 1979.

Longest Hole-In-One
Michael J. Crean of Denver, CO- 517 yard par 5 9th hole at the Green Valley Ranch Golf Club on July 4, 2002.

Robert Mitera - 447 yrd 10th hole at the aptly named Miracle Hills CG on October 7, 1965

Oldest Player
Harold Stilson 101 years old. From Boca Raton Florida is the oldest golfer to ever do it. With a 4 Iron on the 108 yard 16th at Deerfield CC on May 16th 2001

Stats found on www.usgolfregister.org

Brooks
5/22/08 1:46 PM
BigKiller

I'm do.

This year I've rattled two flagsticks from outside 100 and chipped in 5 times in about a month of playing.

In my life, I've probably hit 20-30 flagsticks.  I've just never had one take the right bounce into a hole.

They do say, if you really want a hole in one, keep playing.

5/24/08 1:34 PM
beerbelly
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's all luck.  I am a terrible golfer, love the game to death, but terrible, yet I got one about 4 years ago.  I had the worst hook going that day, couldn't figure out my irons for shit, I set up to play the hook, at least 40 yard aim to the right.  I hit it, and it turned just like I thought it would, then hit the far side of the green and rolled a good 30 feet into the hole.

Funny thing is is that I didn't think that it went in.  My buddy kept looking at me for a reaction, but I thought that it was just obstructed behind the flagstick.  Wow, that was a suprise!

5/25/08 11:09 AM
Big Pete

Ok explain this to me how are guys getting aces on 447 and 517 yard holes??
5/26/08 8:01 AM
BMF12

Big Pete - Ok explain this to me how are guys getting aces on 447 and 517 yard holes??

Has to be crazy dog legs, ball hitting cart paths, etc.
5/26/08 9:11 AM
MIKEBROOKS

No idea....

Brooks
5/26/08 9:38 AM
BigKiller

Doglegs where people can cut the corner and/or downhill/downwind.

You won't see these on really good courses.  Usually shitty courses void of trees where you can cut off the entire dogleg.

5/26/08 11:22 AM
Big Pete

lol crazy luck i mean 517 years shit Tiger would be 12o yards short on his best drive of his life.
5/29/08 11:16 AM
NovakHT
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had one last year on the 4th of July at my club. 140 yds par 3-- 8 iron.

Was pretty neat--  playing with 3 other guys they matched me up with for the holiday tourney . I had never played with them before.

Only guy at the club that had one up to that point in 2007 was.... Zach Johnson.

Pretty neat to see my picture alongside his --

5/29/08 12:00 PM
BigKiller

I lipped out for eagle on a par 4 last weekend.

I was 99% sure it was going to drop.

Definite "prom night special" (all lip, no hole)

6/23/08 3:33 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In April, in upstate NY, at my home course, my buddy dropped in on a 205 yd par 3. It's a ridiculous public course hole in that the right side is protected by a bunker, the back drops off, and the left front is protected by a small hill. In effect, from 205 yards out, you either have to stick the relatively small green, or roll through maybe a 20' opening on the front right of the green (where it can also easily continue to roll off the back).

He hit a 4 iron to the small hill where it took a lucky hop rightward and rolled in. The course owner said my friend was possibly the first person to ace it in 40 years.

Two weeks later, I almost holed the 135-yd par 3 No. 9 and the course owner would have been my witness. He was talking to the guys in front of us that just came off the ninth and watched my ball hit and roll past the cup by just a few inches left. I'll take the tap-in bird, but damn it would have been nice if my buddy and I had picked up 1s in the same month.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.