UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> As a kid, which TMA ...

4/25/08 12:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thelorax
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 25 2008 12:00A

...did you think was the end all, beat all?

After years of Kung Fu Theater, I was a huge fan of Snake Style (even though only bad guys used it).

I remember doing weak-ass snake strikes on my little brother!
4/27/08 3:29 PM
jrrrrr
326 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 27 2008 12:00A
It's not necessarily the art, but the training method.
tradionally MA should have a combination of strikes, Chin na(jt locks, tearing the muscle and sealing the cavity) and Shiao-chiao(sp) throws/some ground work.
if your learning proper body mechanics and learning those technique areas and developing them in a realistic manner - most any MA will do...
If you want to focus in tournament - look for schools that specialize for those tournament types...
4/30/08 2:54 AM
Skpotamus
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 30 2008 12:00A
What child of the 80's didn't want to be a ninja? From Michael Dudikoff to the Ninja Turtles, ninja's were the shiznit
4/30/08 4:14 PM
ViewType

Edited: Apr 30 2008 12:00A
Ninjas went out of fashion?

* puts away balaclava and nunchuks *
5/2/08 3:47 AM
Skpotamus
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can keep the smoke bombs and grpapling hook though!
5/2/08 10:52 AM
Willybone
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/02/08 10:53 AM
Of course I thought TKD was the be-all-end-all of unarmed fighting.
It had reach, power, and versatility.

Reach - I'm using my foot, bitch! It is waaaay out there on the end of my leg.
Power - My leg. Bigger than your arm, that's for sure.
Versatility - I could kick you in the head or the shin. Can you punch my shin? Hell, no.

On further reflection, I believe it still is the ULTIMATE!
7/15/08 11:45 AM
WaltJ
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ninjitsu, of course!
7/18/08 11:16 AM
sta94

Totally depended on what was the latest martial arts movie I had watched - Shaolin, monkey style, snake style, drunken style - man those old hong kong chop socky fliks made a huge impression on us kids! then the ninja stuff came out, whoa! bad-ass!!!

yeah, like OneScoup, I too found ouit about the Gracies waaay before UFC1. My super-cool older cousin was a karate guy and had these old Black Belt, Karate/Kung Fu Illustrated magazines from the 70s. I remember in my middle/high school years (mid/late 1980s) reading in one of his old magazines an article about this crazy family from Brazil that did challenge matches, and highlighting the Helio/Carlos vs. Santana story. I remember thinking these guys are bad-ass. Cut to 1993 and I'm in college and hearing about the UFC and thinking wow! these guys are in the US now!
7/18/08 2:08 PM
Willybone
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Totally depended on what was the latest martial arts movie I had watched

You're an east-coaster but maybe not old enough. Do you remember when "Five Deadly Venoms" hit channel 11, maybe back in '83?
That movie changed the playground forever in my town. It was like we all woke up to a new world of magical ass-kicking.
7/19/08 11:10 PM
sta94

oh yeah, 5 deadly venoms, missed that the first time around, only watched it much later.  i do remember breaking out the snake-style moves to my 5th grade classmates, most of the kids were might impressed with that, felt good, yes!!!

willybone, what are you upto these days?
7/27/08 11:49 PM
smileythai

Was never really a fan of kung fu or other Chinese martial arts films. Always seemed hokey(yes, even Bruce Lee's stuff).

Was more a fan of samurai/ninja films and such, so I guess I thought jujutsu was the stuff. I'll never forget looking up jujutsu in the dictionary when I was a kid: "an art of weaponless fighting employing holds, throws, and paralyzing blows to subdue or disable an opponent."
8/10/08 7:20 PM
dbcooper11

i actually ordered a ninja suit out of Black Belt Magazine when i was like 10 years old.
8/11/08 7:43 AM
parsell90

What child of the 80's didn't want to be a ninja? From Michael Dudikoff to the Ninja Turtles, ninja's were the shiznit

....Were the Shiznit? Dude me and this chik hired out the 3 ninjas movies last weekend they still are the shiznit i didnt even hook up with her coz i wanted too keep watching the movie :)
8/11/08 11:33 AM
Outkaster
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skpotamus - What child of the 80's didn't want to be a ninja? From Michael Dudikoff to the Ninja Turtles, ninja's were the shiznit

I remember those days LOL!
8/15/08 3:29 PM
rwx

Kung Fu > Tae Kwon do > Karate
9/22/08 10:27 AM
Stronghold
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Centipede > Snake... but Toad > the other Deadly Venoms
9/24/08 1:24 PM
Willybone

Toad > the other Deadly Venoms

I beg to differ.

9/27/08 5:34 AM
CharlesLewis
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drunken boxing FTW.
2/20/09 1:49 AM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/20/09 1:56 AM
growing up in the 80's I always thought most of the flashy kung-fu type martial arts were bullshit but I had a lot of respect for the kids who did muay thai, contact karate, judo and wrestling. I grew up in a shitty part of my city and fights were pretty comming. It always seemed like the kids who did those styles were the only ones who were really effective.

The only movie I really got into was Bloodsport. The whole style vs style thing was the main selling point for me and I thought (at the time) that it was pretty realistic compared to other movies of that day. However I did always argue that grappling was effective too so I really wanted to see it more in movies of the time. I guess that's why I became such a big fan of the UFC when it came on the scene at the end of my high school days.
2/20/09 1:57 AM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bloodsport in 10 minutes
4/12/09 12:16 AM
dave nagel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as stupid today as it was 20 years ago.
thank god for a certain brazilian family : )
4/14/09 8:46 PM
laqueus

It was whichever one I had just seen a movie of, of course.
4/20/09 2:55 PM
WidespreadPanic

KriegerVonGott - Blatantly Ninjitsu.

Hah, what's actually hilarious about 'Ninjutsu' is that people don't understand what a 'real' Ninja would do in a fight.

They'd run and hide. Think about it. Their credo was against direct engagement. They'd run and hide and try to hit guerilla-style, or return at night when the opponent was off guard.

Imagine a fight scene where the Hero runs in to some Ninjas. In the movies the Ninjas fight, but in reality, they'd disengage the moment they are spotted and run and disappear.

If people back then knew the real Ninja tactics I don't think they'd have been half as attractive as a fighting art. They were anything but that. They may have been an assassination art, fighting the opponent when he was asleep, having sex, taking a dump or a shower. They'd plant an agent in the household and have them kill their host when activated. But 'fight'? Never.
4/24/09 12:33 PM
FlashGordon2002

Well, I think a Ninja would fight but it would be more like:

1) Stun and run.
2) Come back later and poison the other guy in his sleep.

A Ninja straight up fighting would only happen if he were trapped.

So, in order to make an exciting movie, the Ninja would always have to be trapped with no way out.

But then you'd have to wonder, what kind of idiot Ninja is he if he's ALWAYS getting trapped? The dude would have to have ZERO tactical awareness for this to happen all the time! All the other Ninjas would laugh at him because of his lack of Ninja skills.
5/11/09 1:40 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think tons of kids would answer TKD since that's what they did.

Competition-style, WTF TKD was popular because it was very "sanitized" (no calls from the school principal on account of your kid knife-handing someone to the neck or elbowing them in the nose), very "standardized" (if you moved, you could probably pick things up at a new club w/no problem), and very acrobatic looking (the kiddies loved to imagine that they might be doing a jumping spinning double kick pretty soon).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.