UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Spark's Steakhouse, NYC

4/28/08 10:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kot1k
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 28 2008 12:00A

Finally, I made it to this historic steakhouse. Here's a review.

We had reservations for 5 for Saturday night. The place is massive, so if you go with 4 people or less, you probably don't need reservations. We were seated even though 2 people were very late. There was no problem sitting down even though the entire party wasn't at the restaurant.

Service: It was excellent start to finish. From the very courteous maître di, to the very funny and knowledgeable waiter, who offered advice and suggestions throughout the meal.

Wine: There's a very strong wine list. Not sure how true this is, but I heard that the markup was much less than most restaurants. We had a great Amarone for $80, the name of which unfortunately escapes me.

Food: For the appetizers we had baked clams, broiled shrimp in garlic butter and the classic tomatoes with Buffala mozzarella. All were very fresh and well prepared. For the main course, I had the sirloin, while almost everyone else had the fillet. For the sides , we had the fried potatoes, mushroom caps, and creamed spinach. Again, everything was of very high quality. For dessert we had mixed berries in a cream sauce. Delicious.

Verdict: As a meal in itself, it was wonderful, but I can't help compare it to other NYC steakhouses. For example, imo Peter Luger has better steaks, and a more fine-dining steakhouse like Strip House has better appetizers and side dishes. While Spark's is great, I don't think it's at the top of the heap like many claim it to be.

Without the wine, the bill came out to about $100 per person.

4/29/08 6:26 PM
kot1k
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 29 2008 12:00A

Yes, and the hillaroius part was one bad review which said that Gotti did him a favor by killing him so he never had to eat at Spark's again. I completely disagree, but I thought it was very funny.

4/30/08 2:17 PM
MikeZev
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 30 2008 12:00A

thanks

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.