UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Students of BRUCE LEE (JKD Teachers)

4/29/08 3:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HOLLYWOOD-MO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 29 2008 12:00A

Why is it that every time some guy is teaching JKD, his angle is that he is 1 of 5 students that Bruce Lee personally taught JKD to; Bruce only wanted these 5 guys to teach JKD.

In OC Ive met about 20 different guys who were all 1 of 5 guys that Bruce personally taught. WTF??
4/29/08 3:37 PM
shen
1050 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 30 2008 12:00A
Ugh... lol... well, trust me, by now, I am pretty used to this nonsense!Other than me, it's:Dan Inosanto, Ted Wong, Taky Kimura & Doug Jefflers

We are the ONLY people to ever be CERTIFIED as "Original Bruce Lee Student" instructors under Master Lee.**

Anyone else claiming this is a FRAUD.

Respectfully,

Sifu Shen

Shen's JKD Assn.

O.J.K.D. Assn.

"The seasons may change, but JKD remains."

** NOTE: I was promoted by my instructor, Sijo Mark Snapely, to the rank or "Original Lee Student" on 8/14/01, before a crowd of more than 30 martial artists.
4/29/08 3:48 PM
HELWIG

Especially these days, you need something that sets yourself apart from the rest.

Used to be ninjitsu. BJJ got huge. Now everyone wants to learn "ultimate fighting"

A regular JKD place is less likely to attract bulk people who dont have any idea what theyre learning. But adding the hand selected by Lee angle is a boost for those who are into his old movies.

4/29/08 7:05 PM
1911fanatic

Magic powers, I tell you.
4/29/08 7:08 PM
GSPeedOnMe

Sifu Shen is correct

4/29/08 7:31 PM
bills

i was under the impression that bruce lee taught no style but a philosphy whitch is basically mma. when i say mixed martial arts i don't mean sport fighting. in my family we do it all sticks knifes guns and hand to hand combat.
4/29/08 10:20 PM
Live in Vegas
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even in the old days it struck me as odd that the biggest claim to fame that most instructors had was that trained under "so and so" as opposed to what they personaly had accomplished.
4/30/08 1:12 AM
shen
1050 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WidespreadPanic - Shen,Please digitize and post your 'certificate of certification' by BL, which I assume includes his chop and signature, 'kay? Thanks.

Why don't you come down to my kwoon and see it?

Most of the people on this forum who matter already know who I am and are aware of my "Original Student" status.

I am also close with Linda & Shannon, but I'm sure you knew that already.

Sifu Shen
4/30/08 2:06 AM
ninjaboy562
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hmmmm
4/30/08 2:15 AM
FingerorMoon
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From the unbiased fountain of knowledge that is Wikipedia:
Lee directly certified only 3 instructors. Taky Kimura, James Yimm Lee (no relation to Bruce Lee), and Dan Inosanto, are the only instructors certified personally by Lee. Inosanto holds the 3rd rank (Instructor) directly from Bruce Lee in Jeet Kune Do, Jun Fan Gung Fu, and Bruce Lee's Tao of Chinese Gung Fu. Taky Kimura holds a 5th rank in Jun Fan Gung Fu. James Yimm Lee (now deceased) held a 3rd rank in Jun Fan Gung Fu. Ted Wong holds 2nd rank in Jeet Kune Do certified directly by Dan Inosanto. James Yimm Lee and Taky Kimura hold ranks in Jun Fan Gung Fu, not Jeet Kune Do; Taky received his 5th rank in Jun Fan Gung Fu after the term Jeet Kune Do existed. Also Bruce gave Dan all three diplomas on the same day, suggesting perhaps that Bruce wanted Dan to be his protege. All other Jeet Kune Do instructors since Lee's death have been certified directly by Dan Inosanto.

James Yimm Lee, a close friend of Lee, died without certifying additional students. Taky Kimura, to date, has certified only one person in Jun Fan Gung Fu: his son and heir Andy Kimura. Dan Inosanto continued to teach and certify select students in Jeet Kune Do to this day, making it possible for thousands of martial arts practitioners to trace their training lineage back to Bruce Lee.

I find this bit bizarre:
"Ted Wong holds 2nd rank in Jeet Kune Do certified directly by Dan Inosanto"

...since Ted Wong basically leads the other side and claims Inosanto has done the wrong thing by continuing to evolve JKD instead of freezing it as complete to represent what it was when Lee died.
4/30/08 2:31 AM
shen

In the O.J.K.D. Assn (Founded by the Laudune Brothers) the J.K.D. Instructor Ranks are as follows:

Novice Instructor

Phase Instructor

Assistant Instructor

Assistant to the Associate Instructor

Co-Associate Instructor

Associate Instructor Level I

Associate Instructor Level II

Associate Instructor Level III

AssociateInstructor Level IV

Instructor

Assistant Full Instuctor

Full Instructor

Full Instructor Plus

Master Instructor

Grandmaster Instructor

Original Bruce Lee Student

IF you have any question regarding my rank, please address them directly to the O.J.K.D. Association.

Regards,

Sifu Shen
"Original Bruce Lee Student"
Brown Belt, Combat Hapkido
4/30/08 9:28 AM
tjmitch
306 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sifu Shen, why dont you list your 3rd degree black sash in Hou Quan gung fu?
4/30/08 10:10 AM
jkartigue
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just to clarify you can become an "Original Bruce Lee Student" without ever have training with him?

Why soooooooooooooooooo many levels of instructor? Do you get a new one a year?
4/30/08 10:17 AM
SirPrize
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bills - i was under the impression that bruce lee taught no style but a philosphy whitch is basically mma. when i say mixed martial arts i don't mean sport fighting. in my family we do it all sticks knifes guns and hand to hand combat.

Yes, sir. You are correct, sir.

Strictly speaking, JKD is not a style. That's like saying "Whatever Works" is a style.
4/30/08 10:42 AM
Gorgeous

Perhaps he only had 5 in every class or ran 1600, 3 day weekends of 5 students max :)

4/30/08 11:27 AM
shen

jkartigue - Just to clarify you can become an "Original Bruce Lee Student" without ever have training with him?

Why soooooooooooooooooo many levels of instructor? Do you get a new one a year?

I know your probaly just a kid,so I'll be nice.

:)

As I posted, I was promoted to the HIGHEST RANK EXTANT in the O.J.K.D. Association, "Original Lee Student", by Sijo Mark Snapely. (Yes, THAT Mark Snapely)

Look, I've been training this stuff for a LOOONG time.

So, the question is: Once you have gotten "it", where do you go..? Like Drew Howe used to say: "Should you stagnate like an old piece of wood & become petrified?" NO!

You keep going, charting NEW territory.

THAT is why there are so many "instructor" levels --because one can always improve.

I've met Master Lee on numerous occasions myself, first time in 1989 durning a sacred "Sweat Lodge" ceremony in Hemet, CA.

I'll never forget Bruce's first words to me: "Relax Sifu Shen --you look like you've seen a ghost!" LOL. Even now his sense of humor is on-point.

I'd say at this point we are more like pals, then Sifu/ Student. He has answered all my questions about J.K.D. but more importantly, given me a DEEP understanding of the nature of our life after this one.

BTW, many of our conversations are chronicaled in my DVD "New Teachings of the Dragon".

Kind Regards,
Sifu Shen

BTW, say Hi to Jesse for me. Tell him Bruce said to tell him: "Stop dropping your left of you'll owe me more Char Siu Bao!" ( He said Jesse would know what that means).

:)
4/30/08 11:35 AM
shen

tjmitch - Sifu Shen, why dont you list your 3rd degree black sash in Hou Quan gung fu?

Because ranks & titles don't mean anything to me anymore.

People who can't fight their way out of a wet paperbag are going around calling themselves "Master" & "Sifu"!

As Bruce said: "Most of these people are nothing more than 'Sifu' of Self-Delusion!"

Regards,

Sifu Shen
4/30/08 12:04 PM
shen

^^ ???

Not sure I "get" the joke there.

But as Bruce says: "A warrior should know two things well: How to fight and how to laugh!"

Respectfully,

Sifu shen
4/30/08 12:22 PM
J Macc 01
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sifu Shen is legit as they come.. I think he won the kumite a while back.
4/30/08 12:31 PM
jkartigue
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shen,

Again I post in the utmost of sincerity and not looking to discount or discredit you. I really don't know how to take you statements as a joke or serious. I am not a child.

I don't know who Mark Snapely is. If he is one of Lee's original students then thats awesome.

Again I ask how do you become an original Bruce Lee student without ever have training with him? If its a title then its seems a little absurd. If that is the title then I propose to be an original student of Jigaro Kano (another man long dead who contributed a lot to martial arts) due to my years in Judo. While I never studied with him it would seem I should take that title following your logic. Addressing absurdity by being absurd is one of the lowest form of argument but I think worthwhile to demonstrate a point.

I do not know how to react to the statement that you meet Lee in 1989 aside from that must have been good drugs.

As far as continuing your education well thats just life. Many people hold true to that philosophy. While I agree that some form of documentation and certification should be present it seems a little too much to have that many instructor ranks. In Judo we have State, Regional, National and International levels for our coaches. Through hard work and continued training you can move up the levels by producing accomplished Judo players and being active in the organization(vastly over simplified but to the point).

For people who follow a system that is based on original thinking and self expression ya'll seem to cling to the body of Lee. Quoting him and trying to justify your actions and principles based on him. It reminds me of a cult or religious group that replaced Jesus for Lee. All in all quite scary.

It could be also that I am getting suckered into a meaningless argument not an intelligent discussion on a topic I am quite interested.
4/30/08 1:24 PM
J Macc 01
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Which kumite? If you have to ask, then you obviously don't know which one I'm talking about.. I'm not at liberty to discuss the details, because they watch this site and might track my position through my IP address.

However, I'm sure if you go to Shen's spot he would be more than happy to have a discussion with you. He opens his doors to everyone.
4/30/08 1:34 PM
shen

^ Thank you for the kind words, but no one need boast for me. That is not my way.

Friend,

--And I do consider all men I meet a friend until they are my enemy-- there are a few things you should know about me:

First, I am 100% full-blooded native american (Lakota Tribe). The sweat lodge is a SACRED part of our lives. It is how we commune with our ancestors and with those who have passed before. For you to make light of our sacraments, tells me a lot about YOUR character.

Second, you sufer from what Bruce calls "monkey mind"; your brain races around so much trying to make sure 2+2=4, when the whole time can't see that math itself is a just a human construct!

Third, I have no need to justify myself to anyone, not my students or strangers. All I can truly offer another human being is simply the way I stand before him.

Lastly, many of the fine JKD teachers you have mentioned haven't had contact with Master Bruce for DECADES, whereas I have been in periodic contact with him since 1989.

You tell me then, who is really the more "legit" student of Bruce Lee...?

Kind Regards,

Sifu Shen

"Original Bruce Lee Student"
4/30/08 1:38 PM
DaveGarcia
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Joe Lewis
4/30/08 1:51 PM
chris colquitt
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

new found respect for shen. not that I didn't respect and fear you before, but now...
4/30/08 1:57 PM
whimpy77
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is some funny shit!!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.