UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> utilitarianism without hedonism?

4/30/08 5:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: Apr 30 2008 12:00A
Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor

Are there any known formulations of act utilitarianism that do not make reference to hedonism (or one of its offshoots...eudaimonism, desire-satisfactionism, etc)?

I cannot for the life of me name one.
5/31/08 4:22 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't see any reason why there couldn't be any in principle. The following two questions are clearly separated:

(1) What is the criterion of right (maximizing value)

(2) What is of value? (pleasure [Bentham], beauty and personal relationships [Moore] etc.)

And I wouldn't call desire-satisfaction or eudaimonist accounts hedonistic.
5/31/08 4:53 PM
twinkletoesCT
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Indrek,

That's exactly what I was thinking: I don't see why there couldn't be one...but I don't know of anyone making a serious case for it.

Huh.
6/6/08 5:45 AM
Indrek R.
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moore?

He definately wasn't a hedonist even in your broad sense. I can't remember whether he was an act- or a rule-utilitarian though.
6/16/08 10:49 PM
thesleeper
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no.
6/19/08 9:48 PM
twinkletoesCT

Mill went for hedonism, but wanted to rank pleasures into "higher" and "lower" ...

...that whole bit about "better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a pig satisfied" is from JSM.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.