UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Amazon's "Kindle." Your Thoughts???

5/1/08 12:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HOLLYWOOD-MO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: May 1 2008 12:00A

This Kindle thing is kind of cool. You can download any book to it for about $10. Supposedly you also dont get any eye strain when you read from it. Its like an electronic book. Im sure there will be some newsgroup out there which will upload every book for it for free so thats a plus. But the thing costs $400!! Thats fucking outrageous.

Lets say the average price of a new book at Borders is $20. Kindle books are $10. So you're saving 10 on each book, but you would have to end up buying 40 books just to save enough to make up for the cost of the unit. What do you guys think of it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/ref=amb_link_6750302_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=0WWR4XYMWFBM3GX4KS8S&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=389635101&pf_rd_i=507846
5/1/08 10:43 AM
Willybone
381 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: May 1 2008 12:00A
A paperback book has:
10MB of random access text storage and hundreds of MBs of image storage
Powered by only ambient light
Fits in your coat pocket
Extremely durable
Solid state reliable
Time-proven format guaranteed to be in use for decades
Instant transfer of usage license to another user

All for about $6.
Although, there is lots of new content available for free from distribution centers located in every town (libraries).

In my opinion, the Kindle has a long way to go before it can even begin to compete with those specs. I've tried to read books on my Newton and my Palm. I gave up because a book had them beat in so many ways.
5/1/08 11:22 AM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

Well the problem with libraries is that theyre a hassle. Half the time, the books I want aren't available, or are checked out. They aren't stocked up like Blockbuster videos, so its pretty tough getting new books from the library. I tried Bookswim (which is like Netflix for books), and the service was atrocious.

Thats why Im looking at this Kindle
5/1/08 3:26 PM
FlashGordon2002

I'm kind of luke-warm about the Kindle.

Yes, it seems like it would be very convenient.

But for me, that's just a "fondle factor" built into books that the Kindle can not provide.
5/1/08 4:17 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

FlashGordon2002 -

But for me, that's just a "fondle factor" built into books that the Kindle can not provide.

You mean like actually having the book in your possession, with the pages, cover, everything?
5/1/08 5:03 PM
Willybone
381 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I should admit that I stole the idea for that technical analysis of a paperback from a Nicholas Negroponte  article I read years ago.

5/3/08 11:06 PM
Sporkticus

When they come out with the next version, I'll probably get one, if just for the physical storage savings issue.

I wonder how readable they are.
6/10/08 8:16 AM
Docmaker

I have one, bought one for my wife and one for my father-in-law. They are amazing! Store hundreds of books, access the internet, automatic dictionary/wikipedia access. I'm interested in a new book? Well I can download the first chapter or so for free to read before buying. For people who have trouble seeing, not me, you can select font size.  I travel quite a bit at times and rather than have to bring a few books to read, I have my kindle. Oh and I get the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal delivered wirelessly every day to it. Whoever doesn't like the Kindle doesn't have a Kindle. Everyone I know who has one loves it beyond belief.

6/10/08 2:00 PM
Sporkticus

Thanks Docmaker.

Is there an eye fatigue problem if you read for a while? Is it robust enough to drop?

I was going to wait for the new version, but I'm really, really tempted to get one now.
6/14/08 4:57 AM
Docmaker

Sporkticus - Thanks Docmaker.

Is there an eye fatigue problem if you read for a while? Is it robust enough to drop?

I was going to wait for the new version, but I'm really, really tempted to get one now.

Since there is no backlight there is no strain on the eyes at all. You can also adjust the font size. It is a pretty durable device. I haven't dropped mine from too high. I have dropped it off of the bed a few times and it was fine.

Funny thing though, today I was at Pentagram, the agency that designed the Kindle. It was pretty cool talking to them about how they came up with the ideas etc. I'm looking at hiring them for a job of mine and the Kindle talk helped me get an idea as to how they work.

6/14/08 4:58 AM
Docmaker

Orly - And the price for most kindle books is about $10.00. However, it's quite easy to get a great used copy for close to the same price. On the flip-side, books sure do take up a lot of space in the home.

Most books are actually less than 9.99 New releases are 9.99 others are much cheaper.

6/14/08 12:05 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

Ya, its cool for the book prices...but the unit itself is outrageously expensive. You would have to buy nearly 40 books just to make up for the cost of the unit. Good idea, its just too expensive, imo.
6/14/08 6:40 PM
Docmaker

I buy well over a hundred books a year so for me it is a logical idea. I also get the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal on it. It saves on paper etc.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.