UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Your "Pre-Workout" snack

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/2/08 1:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Izzy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/03/08 2:24 PM

Alright post 'em...What is your best recipe before a CARDIO workout to give you lots of energy but little to no nasuea. I need some suggestions.

So Far I got:
- Half Baked potoato w/ cottage cheese
or
- Whole grain Toast with Low Sugar peanut butter; plus some almonds
5/6/08 10:09 AM
mister deez
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know about before a cardio workout, it doesn't really affect me that much. For a heavy lifting workout, I like to eat a pasta dish about an hour before.
5/7/08 1:30 AM
Mullet @ Heart
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I usually just snack on some dried fruit on the way to the gym.

Home dried, that that sugar-loaded store-bought shit.
5/8/08 9:02 PM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It doesn't really affect me that much, either, but I don't run 8 miles or anything.  Usually, a berry-based smoothie does the trick.   I do about 1/2 blueberries, 1/4 strawberries and 1/4 blackberries, enough to fill up to the 26 ounce line on my blender.  Pour soy milk or skim milk until it fills in the gaps.  Top off with a few tbsp of protein powder, a handful of goji berries, a multivitamin and squeeze about 1 tbsp of honey. 

If the berries are frozen, before you put the milk in, fill it up with scalding hot tap water and let it sit for a few minutes, then drain it out.  That should be enough to thaw them.  You might want to add a handful of ice if you do this or else it might be lukewarm, which isn't that appetizing.

26 oz seems to be a good amount for me.  I feel that a pint isn't quite enough and I can get hungry, but a whole quart is too much to drink.

This is extremely nutritious, very high in antioxidents and full of carbs.  It's also full of calories and sugars, so watch out there.

5/8/08 9:05 PM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FWIW, you can probably leave out the honey, but I find that a pure berry smoothie is too sour without it.  If you use vanilla soy milk or something, that may compensate.

On that note, you can add a little of vanilla extract too.  Some plain yogurt will also add a richness to it.

5/11/08 7:59 PM
Elias Cepeda
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've recently felt real good with some fruit (apple, banana, orange) about a half hour before or less

5/15/08 5:21 PM
savage animal
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I eat a banana a half hour or so before, and a CLIF bar an hour or so before.

The CLIF bar is just to keep me from being hungry since I am about to go twice as long as usual without eating.

As far as having energy, I feel fine with doing just the banana or 2, sometimes have had the CLIF bar too close to workout and training partners paid the price.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.