UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Husserl has ruined my life.

5/2/08 9:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gorgeous
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is all.

5/3/08 10:35 PM
Steppenwolf
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you love phenomenology
5/4/08 5:00 AM
Gorgeous

Yes. The ruinous part is in the over qualified-style use of language. I loose everyone by the third phrase.

5/4/08 5:35 AM
Gorgeous

Actually I'm most interested to know how it has been undone (aka refuted). Recommended reading, hints and direction appreciated. What is your experience with this question?

5/4/08 8:12 PM
baxter stockman

thanks to phenomenology, we can now both mentally and physically masturbate with the the same hand at the same time!

there really isn't much in the way of what you'd call post-phenomenology, as the system as laid out by husserl was kind of dead-ended in/after the 70's by the post-structuralist/deconstructionists like heidegger, foucault, derrida, zizek, et al.

husserl's phenomenology does have a strong legacy in the history of ontology.

i wrote a pretty decent paper on husserl's "pure phenomenology" a few years ago and had a real decent handle on husserl's GENERAL INTRODUCTION, but it's all hazy, now. i may try to find it and see if i can bring it back into focus a little bit, despite the wholesale braincell loss in the interim. :)

5/5/08 1:15 AM
Gorgeous

Can't think of anything funny to say. *waits for real information .... :)* But thanks for taking the trouble to post HERE :)

5/12/08 6:38 AM
Gorgeous

"post-phenomenology" I'd have to call that existentialism actually.

5/25/08 1:03 PM
baxter stockman

existentialism is a terrible post-facto category that lumps together a lot of existential philosophers, many of them with a considerable amount of incongruity.

5/27/08 1:51 AM
Gorgeous

It's true.

5/30/08 12:25 AM
thesleeper

but most categories do that. Trying to get people in philosophy to agree on categories is like herding cats.
5/30/08 12:41 AM
thesleeper

Husserl is still alive and well in the social constructivist movement in Sociology and International Relations. The linguistic turn is based on the idea that communication is social, therefore all knowledge is also social. But that is not true. All knowledge is not social, necessarily. Individual experience contributes to identity and meaning. We experience things through filters/lenses affected by language AND experience (You can make the argument that torture and starvation are symbolic, but that is for observers, not the actual participants).

Check out World of Our Making by Onuf, the originator of Constructivism.

The post-structuralists/deconstructionists just think they have done away with Husserl and Hegel. They have done so because PSD is conducive to academic research. Foucault even admitted that Hegel was inescapable.
8/24/08 11:46 PM
symphanee

All phenomenologists after Husserl refuted him in one way or another due to being too much of an empiricist. I suggest reading Levinas' take on Husserl and some good ol' Merleau-Ponty. Also Dennett refutes intentionality and the novel Radiant Cool has an interesting contemporary take on phenomenology. I'm slowly getting my PhD in existential-phenomenological psychology so hit me up if you want any more suggestions.

You shouldn't let Husserl ruin your life when he's just the tip of the iceberg for much better things.
8/25/08 2:15 AM
sanguine cynic

" slowly getting my PhD in existential-phenomenological psychology so hit me up if you want any more suggestions. "

Where do you get an aweseme degree like that? Tell me more.
8/30/08 9:51 PM
symphanee

There aren't many places in the United States, only a handful to be exact. Right now I'm at the University of Dallas getting my Masters, then hopefully off to London or Pittsburgh to get my PhD.
8/31/08 9:30 PM
sanguine cynic

What are you reading, what the main thoughts of -existential-phenomenological psychology...etc...are there current authors on the subject?
9/9/08 11:06 AM
symphanee

Right now for a class I'm reading Existence (edited by Rollo May and Ernest Angel) and Three Faces of Being by Ernest Keen. They're both really great. Also reading Being and Time for the 3rd time but applying it to psychopathology. I also have read a lot of Freud through a phenomenological lens and many others like Levinas, Becker, Lacan, Fromm, Horney, de Beauvoir, Anna Freud, Ellenberger, May, and of course Husserl, Sartre, and Merleau-Ponty.
9/9/08 11:51 PM
sanguine cynic

Hmm.. I wonder how much any of those people are still relevant today...

I love reading existentialism..but almost all of it seems to have been shown to be wrong.. I can't think of many a legitamite arguments any of those thinkers have made. Although I have never read Merleu-Ponty, Horney, Fromm, Ellenberger or May...

Lots of what Freud said has been debunked...etc..
9/16/08 11:20 AM
symphanee

Extremely relevant, even more relevant now especially with our culture focusing on medicine and "band aids" to cover up symptoms of some larger psychological framework. It gives a more humanistic way of doing psychology by actually focusing on helping people seize their own freedom and taking agency in their own problems. Two main things that existential-phenomenological psych lays out is the normalcy of both anxiety and guilt in everyday life. Those are the two things that are also most medicated here in Western culture. It's also extremely relevant in terms of ethics and how to be present to others. If you want to read more about how Freud helped psychology you might want to actually read Freud, especially his case studies, before dismissing it all together. Also, existentialism is a philosophy so how has it been "shown to be wrong"? If you are talking merely about Sartre, well, he's not even really an existentialist anyway.
9/17/08 12:20 PM
sanguine cynic

I've read lots of Freud...and I like some of it, while other parts of it like his psychosexual stuff...

I'd be happy to read anything you recommend me.
5/26/11 11:25 AM
Turd Furguson

just getting in here to boost my post count. nothing to see here.
7/10/11 3:16 AM
thesleeper

Merleau-Ponty and Fromm are solid.
7/17/11 3:05 PM
Poindexter
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

symphanee - Right now for a class I'm reading Existence (edited by Rollo May and Ernest Angel) and Three Faces of Being by Ernest Keen. They're both really great. Also reading Being and Time for the 3rd time but applying it to psychopathology. I also have read a lot of Freud through a phenomenological lens and many others like Levinas, Becker, Lacan, Fromm, Horney, de Beauvoir, Anna Freud, Ellenberger, May, and of course Husserl, Sartre, and Merleau-Ponty.
That sounds like some good shit. I'm a big fan of Heidegger, Freud, and Merleau-Ponty. I'm trying get through some of the Lacan lectures presently.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.