Poll: More disapprove of Bush than any other president

* Story Highlights
* President Bush's disapproval rating hits all-time high in polling
* More than 70 percent disapprove in CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll
* Survey indicates support for Iraq war has never been lower
* Low approval numbers come five years after "Mission Accomplished" moment

By Paul Steinhauser
CNN Deputy Political Director

WASHINGTON DC (CNN) -- A new poll suggests that President Bush is the most unpopular president in modern American history.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Thursday indicates that 71 percent of the American public disapprove of how Bush is handling his job as president.

"No president has ever had a higher disapproval rating in any CNN or Gallup Poll; in fact, this is the first time that any president's disapproval rating has cracked the 70 percent mark," said Keating Holland, CNN's polling director.

"Bush's approval rating, which stands at 28 percent in our new poll, remains better than the all-time lows set by Harry Truman and Richard Nixon [22 percent and 24 percent, respectively], but even those two presidents never got a disapproval rating in the 70s," Holland said. "The previous all-time record in CNN or Gallup polling was set by Truman, 67 percent disapproval in January 1952."

While Gallup polling goes back to the 1930s, it wasn't until the Truman years that they began surveying monthly approval ratings.

CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider adds, "He is more unpopular than Richard Nixon was just before he resigned from the presidency in August 1974."

President Nixon's disapproval rating in August 1974 stood at 66 percent

The poll also indicates that support for the war in Iraq has never been lower. Thirty percent of those questioned favored the war, while 68 percent opposed it.

"Americans are growing more pessimistic about the war," Holland said. "In January, nearly half believed that things were going well for the U.S. in Iraq; now that figure has dropped to 39 percent."

The numbers on the Iraq war come on the five-year anniversary of Bush's "Mission Accomplished" moment on board the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, when he proclaimed that "major combat operations in Iraq have ended."

The record-low support for the war in a CNN poll could be one reason behind the president's unpopularity, but it probably is not the only one.

"Support for the war, the assessment of the economy and approval of Mr. Bush are all about the same -- bad," Schneider said.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll was conducted by telephone from Monday through Wednesday among 1,008 adult Americans.

The poll's sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.
5/3/08 10:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LMAO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard Iron Man is a good movie.
5/3/08 10:50 AM
trampking
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, it is...
5/3/08 10:50 AM
JOB
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoliticalGround.

And yes, George Bush is an idiot. Nothing groundbreaking here.
5/3/08 10:54 AM
whoabro

i love lamp
5/3/08 10:54 AM
caliphornia

5/3/08 11:28 AM
SteveChase

Gallup by armbah
5/3/08 11:31 AM
ChicagoTom
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WRONGforumDBAG

5/3/08 12:24 PM
JohnMc

"And yes, George Bush is an idiot. Nothing groundbreaking here"

No offense John but you don't have much room to talk seen what kind of useless scum the Irish keep voting in.
5/3/08 12:25 PM
Badlump

Bush

5/3/08 12:29 PM
newbloodmma
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dont you just loved the way he tried to blame the democrats for the state of the economy in his speech..idiot
5/3/08 12:31 PM
JohnMc

"dont you just loved the way he tried to blame the democrats for the state of the economy in his speech..idiot "

Because Kerry and the Democrats would be above such a thing if Kerry was elected. LOL.
5/3/08 12:33 PM
Badlump

^ LOL

5/3/08 12:57 PM
newbloodmma
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

johnMc- of course kerry wouldnt be above it, what i was getting at was how he never would even admit economic trouble all these years and finally he does by saying "well if these democrats in the house would write me up some good bills to pass....." and then in an interview a couple weeks ago he was informed about gas going to 4dollars a gallon, he replied "really, thats the first ive heard that, thats interesting." this man truly does not care about the average working class american. sorry guys i just payed 50$ at pump and saw thread with bush's name and felt like venting.
5/3/08 12:57 PM
Tahiti Bo
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retired, Tahuna

And Congress has an even lower approval rating than Bush.

5/3/08 12:58 PM
newbloodmma

I think no matter what candidate gets in we should end up in better shape....i hope
5/3/08 1:00 PM
JohnMc

newblood. Good points. Generally politicians now don't seem to care about the middle class at all now. You either have to be rich for the Reps or black or hispanic for the Dems to care about you anymore.
5/3/08 1:08 PM
newbloodmma

John i am not a dem or rep. i just think this country needs a real leader. even one who makes mistakes and doesnt please everyone. i dont know which candidate cares the most but i would have a certain level of comfort with hillary because in times of need she will have fmr pres clinton to help with important issues
5/3/08 1:09 PM
JOB
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/03/08 1:09 PM
JohnMc - 

No offense John but you don't have much room to talk seen what kind of useless scum the Irish keep voting in.

Actually, I've got plenty of room to talk. I have never voted for Fianna Fail in my life. I'm an Irish language activist and an Irish Republican who has voted Sinn Féin since I could vote. I have distributed 1000's of leaflets across my own city for the no to lisbon campaign, which is in support of irish freedom and Soverignty - and a break away from the centralised and militarised rule, that the new EU superstate aims to become. I am VERY active in Irish politics and making Ireland a better place, unified for the people of Ireland.

If anyone has the room to talk, it is me. I assure you that.

Did you vote for George Bush? Cos I sure as hell didn't vote for Fraudie Ahern. And remember, you live in Ireland. I don't live in the US.
5/3/08 1:14 PM
Seamus619

Bush may be a bad president, but he is a legit fighter!

5/3/08 1:17 PM
rebel927

Highest Disapproval rating of any president? I seriously doubt that. Every heard of Hoover? Maybe highest disapproval rating in the last few years that we've been counting.
5/3/08 3:15 PM
Badlump

Bush does not contoll the oil prices. Opec and the Oil compaies that bid on the oil control  the pricing. The whole problem is that our leadership ( Congress ) is all about self intrest that is why there are lobbist in Washington to lobby for their companies intrest and bye votes. Government is the problem. imo

5/3/08 3:33 PM
brightmma

give me a break. Polls are crap! Most working folks don't have time to answer polls anyway. He won twice and Dems have a snowballs chance in November anyway. Now, back to MMA please!
5/3/08 5:39 PM
JohnMc

"Did you vote for George Bush? Cos I sure as hell didn't vote for Fraudie Ahern. And remember, you live in Ireland. I don't live in the US. "

I voted for Gore the first time but voted for him the second time because he was better [and thats saying something] than John " King of all flip flops" Kerry.

For what its worth I voted for Sinn Fein in the last election. Btw. That wasn't meant as a personal attack towards you John. My apologies John if you did. I met plenty of Irish that compalin about Bush but yet voted for useless Ahern and Fianna Fall for a third term. Mary Harney needs to go too. Ireland is a rich country now but she made the healthcare system [something else the Irish love to rag on America for] worse than most third world countries.
5/3/08 5:45 PM
JohnMc

"John i am not a dem or rep. i just think this country needs a real leader"

Agreed. Sadly neither party is producing one this year. We'll be voting for the lesser of two evils regardless of who wins the Dem nomination.

"i dont know which candidate cares the most but i would have a certain level of comfort with hillary because in times of need she will have fmr pres clinton to help with important issues "

That seems to be the only reason McCain did so well. He played up the war hero bit. As for Hillary. I don't think Bill will have as much of an influence as people like to think.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.