UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> how to emphasize GPA

5/5/08 12:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MikeD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just graduated Saturday and I'm applying for some teaching positions. I'm highly qualified according to NCLB, but I don't know many people and don't really have any teaching experience, other than student teaching. Three things that I believe that work for me are:

1. 4.0 GPA

2. military veteran

3. I'm 27 (older than most applicants)

How should I emphasize these? I don't think I'm getting them across very well. I thought about saying something like "I know there might not be a correlation between having a 4.0 GPA and being an effective teacher, but I believe it shows that I am driven and can attain goals."

Is that lame or is there a better way to emphasize some of this stuff?

Thanks for any help.
5/6/08 2:49 PM
MikeD

Good advice man, thanks!

Now I just have to wait for some more jobs to be posted.
5/7/08 10:36 PM
asdf
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just list them in your resume. A lot of ppl don't list GPA, and a 4.0 sticks out. Military experience sticks out, but less sure if that's a good thing given that teachers are more liberal than the average population.
5/8/08 10:03 AM
MikeD

I'm in TN, so "liberal" isn't the same as everywhere else.
5/29/08 9:17 AM
Gforce
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In NY, tweaking your resume is a waste of time.

Only way to get a teaching job anywhere besides NYC (which sucks) is to know someone.
5/29/08 2:00 PM
MikeD

Gforce - In NY, tweaking your resume is a waste of time.

Only way to get a teaching job anywhere besides NYC (which sucks) is to know someone.

I've heard that before!

I interviewed for 2 positions. I'm actually finishing up an interim position today. It was only for 2 weeks but it was a good experience. I'm interviewing tomorrow for the permanent position tomorrow. I'll be really disappointed if I don't get it since all the administration, faculty, and staff know me already. It's not like their taking a chance on me.
5/29/08 11:35 PM
alley
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should consider getting a book on interviewing.

You want to work in the 4.0 fact, most definitely. But don't be cheesy about it. Something like, "I can help students achieve at school... I learned effective study habits, which earned me a 4.0 GPA, and I can pass on those skills to the students in your school", or whatever b.s.
5/30/08 9:02 AM
MikeD

True.

The more I've thought about, the less important it seems to be. Just because I'm proud of it doesn't mean employers will care about it.
6/19/08 10:59 AM
Lou Dukes

Emphasize the GPA and put the military experience on your resume. This way it's there in black and white. I wouldn't say, "since i had a 4.0 GPA i can be this or that kind or a teacher blah blah blah...."

If I was interviewing someone and they went on about how they had a 4.0 GPA, which is a great accomplishment, I'd be rolling my eyes. There is so much more that will make you a better teacher or a better working in whatever role you're in.
6/19/08 9:34 PM
BarkLikeADog

GPA doesn't really tell a potential employer much of anything; for all I know somebody was paying your way so you didn't have to struggle juggling work & school, or you had easy profs, or any number of situations that don't help me decide you're better than the other guy.

On the other hand, someone who makes a great big deal about their GPA, that tells me a lot, & that's not good.

I wouldn't list it at all, personally. You can list it but not as a major highlight. GPA is for schools, e.g. grad school admittance.
6/20/08 12:11 AM
MikeD

Alright, thanks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.