UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> No Gi Question

5/6/08 9:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Karelinfan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At this past Victorian BJJ Championships (Held last Saturday), there was a lot of grabbing of shorts and rashies in the no gi division. The refs and head ref said that it was allowed as long as you didn't choke with the rash guard etc. Is this allowed in any other comp????
5/6/08 11:47 PM
DMMA

Hey Karelinfan,

I ended up doing some reffing near the end of the day. Admittingly I didn't do the ref training etc, but all the matches that I reffed where the competitors grabbed clothing, I told them not to.

As far as I'm aware, it's a standard rule to not be allowed to grab clothing in a no gi comp.
In our MG tournaments we don't allow it, and I'm pretty sure the adcc comps don't either.

Cam
5/7/08 1:35 AM
Old Boxer

I hate it when people grab my rash vest and stretch it and no, like MMA grabbing clothing is not permitted.
5/7/08 1:54 AM
Bench
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All the no gi comps ive done there was no grabbing of rashies, shorts etc.

Isnt that the whole point of no gi? not being able to use material? thats what gi comps are for.

Maybe we should have ancient Greek style grappling matches, ie....nude.
5/7/08 2:03 AM
PeterIrl
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In any comp I've participated in, grabbing of shorts & rashies has been a definite no-no. I saw a few other bits n' bobs that the refs let slide that were a bit unusual too.

That said, I didn't even get to compete on Saturday. Got a pain in my arse after waiting for nine hours to get on the mat so I fucked off home. Rather disappointing to say the least.
5/7/08 2:47 AM
Old Boxer

"Maybe we should have ancient Greek style grappling matches, ie....nude."

BEEP
5/7/08 3:51 AM
Karelinfan

Cam,

I'm sure you would have pulled them up and I've never seen it in another comp. But a few fights with my team mates had this happen and when we objected the refs said that it was allowed.

I overheard a guy question who I was told was the head ref, the taller guy with the shaved head/pony tail and he said you could grab as long as you didn't choke.

First time ever I have seen this in grappling.
5/7/08 7:51 AM
PeterIrl
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Thats messed up if true. I mean the main difference between gi and nogi is(apart from the obvious) that you're supposed to only use "natural" handles in nogi, I thought that was a universally accepted truth.

as I said though, I did see other stuff like whitebelts doing leglocks that I thought was against the rules too..
5/7/08 8:24 AM
DMMA

Straight anklelocks were and are allowed from what I understand.

Cam
5/7/08 8:43 AM
PeterIrl

Edited: 05/07/08 8:45 AM

I didn't just see straight ankle locks, there were some competitors hanging off of guys legs like retarded chimpanzees who obviously weren't comfortable/knowledgeable enough that they knew how far to go before things started getting silly/dangerous. Now I don't profess to be a leglock wizard by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm all for allowing leglocks(with the exception of heelhooks, nasty stuff) though I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I knew people had a clue what they were doing and the refs kept a close enough eye that they'd be able to intercede before anyone got their weekend ruined.

Whats your opinion on the allowing of short/rashie grabbing in the nogi divisions, seeing as you were on both sides of the divide as a competitor and a ref? Do you think they should have allowed it to go ahead considering that its banned in just about every other tournament?

5/7/08 10:27 AM
DMMA

I didn't compete on the weekend, but usually do. I think it's a big no no. No grabbing of clothing in no-gi is one of the defining factors between the two. Even if I was aware of the rules I would have still told guys to stop doing it. It's a standard rule across the board. With no-gi being a new area for the AFBJJ they may still be working out a few kinks.

When leglocks of any variety are attempted, the refs should be circling like hawks to be ready to control/stop the fight if the lock is applied, or if it is becoming messy and therefore dangerous.

Cam
5/7/08 6:34 PM
evilsorta

no gi = no grabbing of clothes, regardless.

gi = grab on to the clothes as much as you like.

lol seriously, like this even needs to be mentioned.

Any body that has trained for even a short period knows the differnce between gi and no gi. I find it 'strange' and 'odd' that it was an issue
5/7/08 9:03 PM
Karelinfan

evil, agreed, however when the question was asked the response was along the lines of:

"when we started a no gi class, people started wearing full on clothes etc and became very restrictive and how could we define what was acceptable or not".

This was a massive surprise to all of us.
5/7/08 10:38 PM
DMMA

LOL, at Karelinfan's quote. That just show's their inexperience in this area.

Ben, don't judge a book by it's cover. That guy is actually a really nice fella. Yeah I may not go for that sort of hair cut myself, but lets not be too hasty to judge.

Cam
5/8/08 2:45 AM
HurtingBombs
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Old Boxer - I hate it when people grab my rash vest and stretch it

LOL oh the horror, maybe stick to real fighting where you punch people if you're so worried about having your lycra stretched out of shape.
5/8/08 4:48 AM
haunted

Karelinfan, while AFBJJ follows the guidelines set out in the IFBJJ for gi fighting, no gi competition is still a fairly new concept within the international federation aswell.(Mundials still don't have no gi) I'm fairly sure there are no concrete rules for it to date.

I guess Abu Dahbi probably set the standard, but bare in mind it has nothing to do with the IFBJJ.

I do agree it's a strange rule. In saying that I don't really see any great advantage/disadvantage in being able to grab clothing!

P.S Speedos are also allowed, no joke!!
5/8/08 1:11 PM
BjjSchoolGirl
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mundials don't have a no-gi division because it takes four full days to get through all the divisions as it is (very long days..).
They do the World no-gi as a separate event in December. I think last year was the first year they ever held it.

The world no gi have a very strict uniform policy. Event rash guards are supplied to both the male and female competitors. And each competitor must wear board shorts that are solid black in colour.

I'm sure the rules are the same as the ADCC, which is that at no time can one competitor grip the other's shorts or rash guard.

Cheers, Maryanne.
5/8/08 9:42 PM
byron2001

The whole point of no-gi is that people can't use the clothing!
5/8/08 10:52 PM
Goodo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This really suprises me. In last years Aus Cup my opponent was actually penalised 2 points because he kept grabbing my shorts. The ref who I'm pretty sure was the ponytale guy mentioned above I think his names Raff or something, actually warned this guy about 5 times before taking the two points.

PeterLrL what division were you in. I didnt compete on the weekend (tore my groin ouch!) but went down for a look and was pretty impressed with the way it was organised. I herd there was over 400 competitors. Certainly sucks waiting for a match but I think generally they handled the numbers pretty well.

On a side note I really think the standard of grappling in all divisions was excellent, certainly each division appeared alot stronger than last year. What do you think?
5/9/08 4:18 AM
haunted

Maryanne, interesting point about the uniform in the world no gi, what ever the rules are, consistancy is definately the key.
5/9/08 7:03 PM
PeterIrl

Goodo, I was in the mens nogi(novice) 91-97 and to me there was quite a bit of confusion on the ground(no pun intended).
5/9/08 9:26 PM
JDee
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What? had these guys been training for only a few weeks?..who grabs shorts & rashies? If anyone grabs shorts and so forth in our class regularly in No-Gi,..we slap some boxing gloves on them and then tell them to wrestle. They soon start to realize the importance of "cupping" (I can hear you snickering already so don't..) and learn real fast to not grab.

- Juggs
5/20/08 1:59 PM
bjjmccoy

yeah, i wish someone told my opposition to stop grabbing my shorts at the nationals no gi last year, worst frontal wedgie ever, plus she busted the bloody things open- er.. awkward. lol
7/19/09 4:26 AM
10thplanetjjmelbourne

Hi all,
Most people who grab shorts and rashies are relatively inexperienced and are obviously training in the gi mostly.

In my experience, this has been the case seeing it go on so many times on the mat and in comps all around the world.

its a very bad habit and if you wan tto improve in the no gi game, you have to not get sucked into this tactic as it is useless.
7/19/09 8:46 AM
BenBJJ
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10th planet, in Australia?! - awesome! Are you an Ari affiliate?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.