UnderGround Forums

PoliticalGround >> Conservatives Happier Than Liberals??

5/7/08 10:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NeckSnapper
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I found this passage interesting....

"apparently because liberals lack ideological rationalizations that would help them frame inequality in a positive (or at least neutral) light."

Conservatives Happier Than Liberals

Jeanna Bryner
Senior Writer
LiveScience.com

Individuals with conservative ideologies are happier than liberal-leaners, and new research pinpoints the reason: Conservatives rationalize social and economic inequalities.

Regardless of marital status, income or church attendance, right-wing individuals reported greater life satisfaction and well-being than left-wingers, the new study found. Conservatives also scored highest on measures of rationalization, which gauge a person's tendency to justify, or explain away, inequalities.

The rationalization measure included statements such as: "It is not really that big a problem if some people have more of a chance in life than others," and "This country would be better off if we worried less about how equal people are."

To justify economic inequalities, a person could support the idea of meritocracy, in which people supposedly move up their economic status in society based on hard work and good performance. In that way, one's social class attainment, whether upper, middle or lower, would be perceived as totally fair and justified.

If your beliefs don't justify gaps in status, you could be left frustrated and disheartened, according to the researchers, Jaime Napier and John Jost of New York University. They conducted a U.S.-centric survey and a more internationally focused one to arrive at the findings.

"Our research suggests that inequality takes a greater psychological toll on liberals than on conservatives," the researchers write in the June issue of the journal Psychological Science, "apparently because liberals lack ideological rationalizations that would help them frame inequality in a positive (or at least neutral) light."

The results support and further explain a Pew Research Center survey from 2006, in which 47 percent of conservative Republicans in the U.S. described themselves as "very happy," while only 28 percent of liberal Democrats indicated such cheer.

The same rationalizing phenomena could apply to personal situations as well.

"There is no reason to think that the effects we have identified here are unique to economic forms of inequality," the researchers write. "Research suggests that highly egalitarian women are less happy in their marriages compared with their more traditional counterparts, apparently because they are more troubled by disparities in domestic labor."

The current study was funded by the National Science Foundation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20080507/sc_livescience/conservativeshappierthanliberals;_ylt=AsAlQS5h2G5.xswXJ8FsoVEPLBIF
5/7/08 10:25 AM
Brigham
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, I classify myself as awesome but, my views seem to go on the conservative side and I'm pretty damn happy. I just don't worry about things. I figure shit is going to happen, economy is gonna' go up, it's going to go down, little we can do about it. It goes in cycles.

Shit happens, then you die. You might as well make the best of everything. If you spend your life worrying, you're gonna be quite pissed about it on your death bed.

5/7/08 10:29 AM
BigWilliam
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ingorance is bliss afterall.
5/7/08 10:33 AM
alpo

Religious people are statistically more happy and satisfied with their lives than non-Religious.  Conservatives tend to be more religious, so that's another piece of it.

5/7/08 10:35 AM
Isaac298

So if i'm a social moderate, and a fiscal conservative what am i?
5/7/08 10:37 AM
Up With Evil
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's true.  Look at how happy The Decider is.

5/7/08 10:41 AM
NeckSnapper

"So if i'm a social moderate, and a fiscal conservative what am i?"

A Libertarian like myself...
5/7/08 10:42 AM
HELWIG
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"apparently because liberals lack ideological rationalizations that would help them frame inequality in a positive (or at least neutral) light."

But many liberals see "equality" as something to be enforced on people. To "pull up" the guy who chooses to spend his days doing drugs and passing out. And to penalize the guy who saves his money up and makes good decisions.

Taken to the extreme you wind up in a dystopia like that short story where equality is enforced:

Smarter people have a constant distracting ring in their ear, People too attractive have plastic surgery to look average, people too athletic wear weighted clothing.

5/7/08 10:43 AM
jason hornbuckle

i'm a conservative on most issues and i think i'm a very happy person

5/7/08 10:45 AM
liquifaction
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/07/08 10:45 AM

Conservatives understand if you don't work hard you won't get ahead.

Liberals worry that they are not getting "what they deserve" and are being cheated by "the man".

Liberals don't wan't consequenses just feel good slogans.  They think, It's not your fault you are jobless because you are a lazy, dirty hippie that sits around all day talking about how you will not conform!  (READ: get a job)  Lefties always make it about someone else as teh reason out of their control.

Look at all the 9/11 conspiracy threads.  They all say "the government" made it all up it's their fault?

That's why liberals are so angry!  It's not their fault!    THE MAN is keeping them down!

Ever think there are people out there that don't like us becuase we are for freedom and equality and representation?  Oh, wait, America has no choices, the gov tells us what to do, who to elect....... and it's all a big NWO sham......  Or you could believe that it's like teh matrix, we are being harvested for organs and only the "liberal elite" knows what's going on and trying to help the masses for the good of mankind.  HAHAHAHA

5/7/08 10:48 AM
hubris
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The first things these scientists could do is explain exactly what they mean when they say conservative and liberal.
5/7/08 10:49 AM
Up With Evil
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" Conservatives understand if you don't work hard you won't get ahead."

"You know, I could run for governor, but I'm basically a media creation. I've never done anything. I've worked for my dad. I worked in the oil business."

- The Decider, 1989

5/7/08 10:51 AM
Isaac298

I don't think liberals are any more "lazy" than conservatives, they just have different ideals.

My parents are very hard working yet most of their ideas are labeled as liberal because it's outside the realm of conservatives. Just a difference of opinions of how they view the world should work.

Another questions..Is a fast pullout (2 years or less i think is fast) out of iraq a liberal idea, or a conservative idea? And why?
5/7/08 10:51 AM
The People's Knee
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"This thread explains a lot."

-Liberal&Depressed72

5/7/08 10:53 AM
Up With Evil

Edited: 05/07/08 10:53 AM

Well their dad wasn't rich enough to buy them an oil company.  Or a baseball team, for that matter.  Oh, you sneering elitsts, looking down your noses at people who have to work their way up from humble beginnings.  Go have another soy latte, Lord Autumnbottom.

5/7/08 10:54 AM
Crazy Zimmerman
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody who would label themselves as a conservative or a liberal is pretty dumb imo. 

5/7/08 10:58 AM
MisterFixit
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My guess is that those that self identify as neither are the happiest.
5/7/08 10:59 AM
Fraser
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Apparently, judging by this thread, conservatives are happy because they are delusional.

5/7/08 11:00 AM
Ogami Itto
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course conservatives are more happy. It's easy to be happy when the status quo protects you and gives you a reason to exclude, despise and ignore the disenfranchised.
5/7/08 11:00 AM
seg
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Knowing that your party's candidate for President and his wife both hate America has to be somewhat depressing.

5/7/08 11:04 AM
Brigham

Edited: 05/07/08 11:04 AM
Fraser - 

Apparently, judging by this thread, conservatives are happy because they are delusional.

Dillusional how? Because we like lower taxes? Because we realize that having a "perfect" society isn't fucking possible? Because we don't believe in re-distribution of wealth? Because we don't believe in saving the planet (even though we don't have any fucking effect on the planet) above saving ourselves? Because we don't believe that more government is the answer? Because we don't want government to handle our health care?

What is it that we are dillusional about exactly?

5/7/08 11:07 AM
Brigham

White347LX - Oh shit. Brigham just open a can and threw worms everywhere.

(I know I did, this thread was going to have 70 posts tops, now, 200+) It's what i'm good at. STURRING THE POT BABY!

5/7/08 11:09 AM
Fraser
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was referring to all the talk about actual redistribution of wealth and weighted suits for athletes. You guys are confusing fascist communism with social democracy. There's a difference between working toward equal opportunity, and forcing equal existence.

But also it makes sense that people who care more about themselves and think that the rest of the world will take care of itself are going to be happier than people who have more sympathy for others, since there is a lot of suffering in the world. It's individualism against collectivism. That doesn't mean either outlook is necessarily superior, but it explains why conservatives might be happier.

"What is it that we are dillusional about exactly?"

Ability to spell, for one thing...

5/7/08 11:10 AM
Isaac298

Edited: 05/07/08 11:10 AM
"Because we don't believe in saving the planet (even though we don't have any fucking effect on the planet) above saving ourselves?"

I guess this is one of the reasons i never want to be labeled a conservative. Delusional and idiotic.
5/7/08 11:13 AM
Fraser

BTW, you are "dillusional" if you think that "conservatives" are spending less than the liberals, or that they don't want government running our lives when it comes to certain issues. Some of the things espoused on this thread are demonstrably false. But it makes people happy to not have to think deeply, and just assume their assumptions are true. Flag pins make you patriotic, being against gay marriage makes you pro-family, etc.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.