UnderGround Forums

PoliticalGround >> Conservatives Happier Than Liberals??

5/7/08 11:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ogami Itto
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Except it's liberals who turn out to be less tolerant and give less to charity -- time and money, religious causes or secular."

What do tolerance and charity have to do with each other?

BTW, for the record I'm a liberal who is very sympathetic to and interested in conservative ideas.
5/7/08 11:14 AM
Brigham
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Conservatives are happier because we don't worry about stupid shit that doesn't matter.

Religion might be a part of that. I for one am not religious in the least bit. Not once bit and I find myself happier than most religious people because, I don't have the "end of the world" in the back of my head.

If it happens, it happens. I don't pretend to know what's going to happen at the end of times like people who believe in religion do.

That's my personal standpoint anyway. I find myself extremely happy. I'm 22, extremely healthy, I have a decent job, go to school, etc. etc. I don't worry about things like religion and what my actions today will do when I face the "GOD".

IMO, if God wants me to live for him everyday and worship him then, that is not the God I care to know or even meet.

5/7/08 11:16 AM
Up With Evil
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fraser -

"What is it that we are dillusional about exactly?"

Ability to spell, for one thing...

Elitist.  Who taught you how to "spell"?  Some pointy-headed ivory-tower liberal college professor?  Common hard-working, salt-of-the-earth American conservatives are too busy making this country great to waste time on "I before E except after C."

5/7/08 11:17 AM
Brigham
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fraser - 

BTW, you are "dillusional" if you think that "conservatives" are spending less than the liberals, or that they don't want government running our lives when it comes to certain issues. Some of the things espoused on this thread are demonstrably false. But it makes people happy to not have to think deeply, and just assume their assumptions are true. Flag pins make you patriotic, being against gay marriage makes you pro-family, etc.

Now you're confusing conservatives with the rhino republicans that run the republican party as we speak.

I am not a republican. I am registered as an independent conservative.

5/7/08 11:22 AM
Up With Evil
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BubbleBass - 
Brigham - IMO, if God wants me to live for him everyday and worship him then, that is not the God I care to know or even meet.

You will eventually meet him regardless.

And boy are people going to be in for a surprise when they approach the White Throne of Justice.

"You have greatly offended Mighty Odin with your sissified ways!  I condemn you to Niflheim for all eternity!"

5/7/08 11:24 AM
Crazy Zimmerman
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am conservative when it comes to foreign policy and I don't like seeing American troops dying for Iraqis, but whenever I talk about it some assholes immediately call me a liberal. LOL. 

Nation-building and providing foreigners with welfare is the very definition of liberal.  And I can't believe how the Republican rank and file are so into their "brand" that they allow themselves to fall for this shit.

It's the tragedy of American politics.

5/7/08 11:27 AM
Brigham

BubbleBass - 
Brigham - IMO, if God wants me to live for him everyday and worship him then, that is not the God I care to know or even meet.

You will eventually meet him regardless. It's okay though, you are young and have time to grow out of being so self-absorbed.

Well, dude, I just said what i believe. Do not turn this into you saying you're above me for believing in "God" and I will "grow out of my phase". This isn't a fase, this is my belief. Much like your belief is that there is a GOd. I am not pushing my belief on you so, don't you try to do it to me because I will destroy your belief before your very eyes and make you retreat to your book of worship.

All I ask if the same respect. I don't push my belief of religion on anyone so, don't try to do it to me.

5/7/08 11:28 AM
Brigham

Crazy Zimmerman - 

I am conservative when it comes to foreign policy and I don't like seeing American troops dying for Iraqis, but whenever I talk about it some assholes immediately call me a liberal. LOL. 

Nation-building and providing foreigners with welfare is the very definition of liberal.  And I can't believe how the Republican rank and file are so into their "brand" that they allow themselves to fall for this shit.

It's the tragedy of American politics.

Word, good points.

5/7/08 11:29 AM
Fraser
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BubbleBass - 

LOL @ Fraser always trying to bring gay marriage into the discussion even though...

1. Democrats don't support it either

2. The issue is DEAD. Everywhere that it gets voted on it gets smashed.

Wonder why this issue is so close to Fraser's heart?

It belongs in any discussion about conservatives "trying to keep government out of our lives", along with flag-burning amendments and drug prohibition laws. And it's close to my heart because I am not a bigoted control freak who wants a millenia-old book of parables to dictate public policy for everyone.

5/7/08 11:33 AM
Brigham

Fraser is a prime example of a media created liberal. Wow just Wow... Fraser, all I want you to do is do some real research. Here's a good topic to research. Look which party it was that passed the equal rights amendment and which party it was that shot it down.

5/7/08 11:36 AM
Le Shat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"And it's close to my heart because I am not a bigoted control freak who wants a millenia-old book of parables to dictate public policy for everyone."

LOL @ the hypocrisy of that statement. I'm not a bigoted control freak, but I'm going to slam Christians for their beliefs and label them while trying to change/control a centuries old tradition because I think a man putting his cock in another man's ass is the highest virtue imaginable.
5/7/08 11:40 AM
Brigham

Edited: 05/07/08 11:43 AM

So, you're basing my intelligence on one spelling error? LOL, I bet you took more than 5 minutes to write the above paragraph to make sure all your capitals were in place and all your I's were before your E's correct?

Trust me buddy, face to face, I'd love to match wits with you anyday. Your opinion was saying that I would out-grow my  "phase" and suggest that i would see the light by believing in God.

The thing is, I do believe in God. I just don't believe in the God most everyone who is religious does. I don't believe we can possibly even phathum what happens to us when we die. Sorry if I don't believe in a book that old as hell, has been translated and re-written 10,000+ times, etc. etc.

Do I think we were created by a "perfect storm" so to speak with the Big Bang Theory? Hell no. But I don't think we can't even start to think of how we were created because we are can't even start to comprehend it.

5/7/08 11:46 AM
Brigham

Edited: 05/07/08 11:46 AM
BubbleBass - 

Newsflash Fraser - Democrats are opposed to gay marriage and drug prohibition also.

Brigham - I am not trying to push anything on you - you staed your belief, I stated mine. But hey- you are actually in school?!? Do you have a learning disability or something? I can't imagine that one could graduate high school with your spelling woes, much less get admitted into any sort of college. I suggest trade school because you will be a laughingstock in any office environment with every email you send out. You need to find a career that will have as little written communication as possible.

Laughing stock would be 2 words. Staed? You mean "stated"?

How's about we stay on topic instead of trying to play "spelling correction officer" when, you can't spell correctly yourself.

5/7/08 11:49 AM
Ted Bennett
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always wondered about this (though "liberal" is such an exceedingly overbroad categorization). One common definition of a modern American liberal suggests a person that is interested in making changes to the status quo, while a conservative wishes to minimize change (though of course I realize there are a ton of different definitions, I'm just choosing these to enter the discussion on that level). Why would someone want to make changes *unless* something is bothering them? If something is bothering me, yeah, I'm going to be upset about it, and I'll want to change it. So, assuming these definitions and going by that logic, "liberals" might be more sensitive to things like social injustice, etc., and thus be angrier or more concerned about it to the extent they wish to change something.

But of course, this presumes that the definition of a conservative is someone who is not bothered by anything, and I don't think that could be supported for a microsecond - both sides get equally pissed off, just by different things ;-)

I'd look for scientific articles on it, but the last time I tried looking for things that related personality styles to political orientation, it was a cesspool of bias so nasty (on both sides) that the "Console Wars" forums at Gamespot looked gentle by comparison....

5/7/08 11:50 AM
Brigham

Edited: 05/07/08 11:51 AM

I put "Fathum" but mozilla corrected it for me automatically yet, didn't correct delusional. Odd how the computer works I guess.

And LOL @ you. You don't have the mental capacity to argue about the subject at hand so, you are trying to make yourself feel smart by correcting grammar?

5/7/08 11:56 AM
Brigham

I think conservatives are happier on average just because the principles of conservatism are based on helping yourself and doing for yourself.

The liberals in the US are all about having someone else helping you and blaming your problems on someone else instead of taking self responsibilty for your own decisions and actions.

I think that's going to be the downfall of this country.

5/7/08 12:00 PM
Brigham

thirdleg - Conservatives are more happy because they have bad tastes. Stuff a cheeseburger in his face, and plop him down in front of a television, and a conservative person will be happy.

Give a liberal a tree with a hole to stick their dick in and a bill to tax people making over $70,000 60% and they'd be in Heaven.

5/7/08 12:02 PM
Fraser
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bbl

5/7/08 12:04 PM
Brigham

thirdleg - We don't fuck trees. We're too busy in the lab making science.

You mean making up science?

5/7/08 12:04 PM
Crazy Zimmerman
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You mean making up Xyience.

5/7/08 12:05 PM
Brigham

Crazy Zimmerman - 

You mean making up Xyience.

SNAP!

5/7/08 12:08 PM
Brigham

White347LX - Hey, if I'm making up punctuation rules then why can't you make up science?

Xyience, we established this.

5/7/08 12:14 PM
MadisonBJJ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I often think that if I could be naive, I'd be happier. Ignorance is bliss.....right?
5/7/08 12:15 PM
MadisonBJJ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course, I'm no Liberal either....they whine too much and frankly most of them are stinky hippies. I'll be a libertarian till I die...a true Goldwater Conservative!
5/7/08 12:18 PM
CuddleBug
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MadisonBJJ - Yeah, I often think that if I could be naive, I'd be happier. Ignorance is bliss.....right?

Apparently the people who aren't ignorant refuse to do anything about the problems (like donate time and money), they just decide to be miserable about it. Sounds like a real smart plan for life.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.