UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Thin pizza crust recipes?

5/8/08 8:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Post one if you have it.  I've tried some I've found on the net and I've yet to find anything captivating.  The smaller the proofing time, the better.

5/9/08 2:03 AM
flemsnopes
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you mean a "crunchy" Pizza Hut kind, or just a plain thin crust.

If it's the latter, the pizza shop by my place uses a regular dough patty but they edge stretch the hell out of it. They use a rotating wood-burning oven, but you can get close with bricks on the BBQ.
5/17/08 9:43 AM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You could probably build one.. it's mostly bricks and concrete, isn't it?  How hard could it be? 

5/19/08 6:26 AM
flemsnopes

Tried this one on Saturday and it went all right. Takes a while, though:

350 ml flour
half table spoon of yeast activated in 110 ml of warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
dash of time, rosemary, basil
1 egg
splash of milk

Combine flour, salt, sugar, garlic, herbs in a bowl
fold in the egg
mix water/yeast in

at this point I added my milk, which made the dough a little too batter-like, so I mixed in about two handfulls of flour until it got handle-able, but just.

let dough rise for half an hour

Preheat oven to 200 C,
Oil up baking pan, roll dough out enough so that it covers baking pan.

Bake for about 45 minutes in the center of the oven

Remove crust, add toppings, up temperature to 250C, throw it all back into the top of the oven for about 10 minutes.

Turned out better than any other pizza I've made from scratch. Thin, crunchy on the outside, a bit tender on the inside, and pretty tasty.
5/19/08 11:39 AM
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

* 4 cups sifted flour
* 1 package dry quick-rise yeast
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1 tablespoon soft shortening
* 1 1/2 cups + 1/4 cup of warm water

Mix the yeast with 1/4 cup of water and set aside. Mix the dry ingredients together, then add shortening, water and yeast mixture. Mix, then knead for a minute or two. Set it in a bowl, and set that bowl in the sink with some warm water. Cover with a towel, and let it rise for 30 minutes. This should make 3-4 pies, depending on how thick you like them.
5/19/08 11:44 AM
alpo

Only 30 minutes for proofing on that one?

5/19/08 12:32 PM
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ayep. You said you wanted fast. :)

Having it sit in the sink with the warm water around it speeds up the process... I think. I don't know shit about breads and stuff. But the recipe works great. Season to taste, obviously.
5/19/08 12:53 PM
alpo

For proofing, I usually fill up a medium sized pot with hot tap water, put the lid on it and put it in the oven, then put the dough in a separate bowl in the oven and cover the bowl with plastic wrap.  5-6 quarts of hot water in a pot will keep the oven at around 100-115 F for a good 90 minutes.  Make sure to use the lid or it will steam up the whole thing.  Works pretty good if you have to proof for a long time.  Keeping the dough in a "warm place" was one of the things I'd always struggled with until I devised that method.

5/22/08 10:48 PM
alpo

Mullet, I tried your recipe and it turned out great.  I was a bit skeptical at first because it didn't appear to rise very much, which was a bit worrisome because I was making 6 pizzas and was having several people over.  Anyway, I just stuck to the recipe and it everything was fine.

I upped the batch to 9 cups of flour and adjusted everything else accordingly.  The only change I had to make was more water.  I actually needed quite a bit more water than that, but who knows, it could be an elevation thing or the brand of flour, whatever.

FWIW, I precooked the crusts on my gas grill at about 500 F for a minute or so per side to give them a bit of char, then I finished them indirect in the BGE using just lump charcoal, to give it a brick oven effect, at about 550 F for 5-6 minutes.

Everything turned out great on the first try, thanks again.  Pretty thin and very crisp.  This is probably the best method I've used so far.

6/16/08 1:31 PM
flemsnopes

my new favorite way to make thin crust pizza
6/16/08 2:30 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Hey, glad it worked out for you. Good idea on that grill thing.

I typically use a pizza stone.
6/16/08 2:36 PM
alpo

Well, I used a stone for the final baking in the BGE, but I par cooked the crusts on the gas grill.  The toppings were already cooked, so I didn't want to do it all at once and risk overcooking the toppings.
7/2/08 2:12 PM
BaBaracus

I put the pizza stone right on the grill and get it as hot as possible.

The key is not to dry out the dough.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.