UnderGround Forums

MLBGround >> Why no knuckleballers?

5/8/08 9:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Atecexa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know we have Wakefield right now but even the last guy before him was maybe Charlie Hough. Why do so few pitchers today use the knuckleball? I know wake is an exclusive knuckler and it's a virtual coin flip as to whether he'll be throwing BP or it'll be lights out making MLB batters look stupid. But how dangerous would a knuckler be right after a Papelbon fastball or a Mariano cutter.
5/12/08 1:06 PM
SecondBase
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since it takes virtually no strain on the arm to throw one, these guys could pitch a lot to help save the bullpen arms.
5/12/08 5:37 PM
Atecexa

"Since it takes virtually no strain on the arm to throw one, these guys could pitch a lot to help save the bullpen arms"

i,e wakefield eating up a load of innings in the 19-8 Sox drubbing in Game 3 04 LCS which saved their bullpen for the rest of the series

are young pitchers even taught this pitch?
5/13/08 1:00 PM
Pretjah
681 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not a good pitch unless you can master it like wakefield, candiotti, hough etc...

ESPECIALLY not a good pitch with today's ball parks and outfielders like some teams have

in an field like the old days with the left field line 340 the gap 390 centerfield 420 yeah a knuckle ball pitcher works

in a field like Enron...err what ever the astros park is known as now.....you might as well just play homerun derby

5/13/08 3:40 PM
Cousin Eddie

MinuteMaid Park
5/14/08 7:19 PM
Atecexa

didn't the old Tiger stadium have a 440 CF?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.