UnderGround Forums

Africa UnderGround >> Climbing Kilimanjaro

5/15/08 1:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kot1k
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/15/08 1:26 PM

I've always wanted to do this. There are tours with guides, and if you are in OK shape, this can be easly done without any climbing experience. I think it's something like a 60 mile trip which can be done in 6 days or so. Has anyone does this or considered it?

5/15/08 3:29 PM
ABE FROMAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't taken the trip to Africa yet but I'd consider it.

5/16/08 11:54 AM
MikeZev
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

truth be told, i think its an amazingly beautiful place africa scares the shit out of me

5/16/08 11:55 AM
ABE FROMAN

Really? Why so?

5/16/08 12:21 PM
MikeZev
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in a word: lawlessness

i'm sure there are a great many places in Africa that are perfectly safe but it would just be something in the back of my mind. I'm not much of a traveler.

5/16/08 12:24 PM
ABE FROMAN

I agree, but then again I feel the same way about Mexico. My parents traveled there one year in their NEW car and they spray-painted it.

Unless it's Europe or Sweden I can't see going abroad for anything....

5/16/08 12:33 PM
kot1k
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You guys are pussies. Where's you sense of adventure? And as far as Tanzania goes, it's very safe and attracts tourists from all over the world. I'm not suggesting going to Congo or Pakistan. If I had the time and money, I would do this trip in a second. Shit, I think Rio is more sketchy than some parts of Africa.

5/16/08 12:39 PM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 05/16/08 12:39 PM
kot1k - 

You guys are pussies. Where's you sense of adventure? And as far as Tanzania goes, it's very safe and attracts tourists from all over the world. I'm not suggesting going to Congo or Pakistan. If I had the time and money, I would do this trip in a second. Shit, I think Rio is more sketchy than some parts of Africa.

I would do it by myself in a second, I have no doubt I'm bigger and better trained than what I'd be facing and I'm an adrenaline junkie. I just have reservations about taking my lady with me. Maybe I've seen too many movies.

5/16/08 12:40 PM
kot1k

Well I agree with you on that. This seems more like a guy trip anyways.

5/16/08 12:45 PM
ABE FROMAN

I keep thinking 'Turistas' 'Turistas' 'Turistas'

5/16/08 12:54 PM
kot1k

I was in Rio and wanted to see a Capoera show. The idiot at the hotel misunderstood and sent me to a Capoera school, which was away from the beach and up the mountains. The neighborhood had a very very favela vibe to it. I gave teh cabbie a huge tip for waiting for me. I think he was worried about me. Seriously, I think a lot of places in South America are just as scarry as anything you can find in Africa or the ME.

5/16/08 1:06 PM
MikeZev

i  guess i'm just a pussy. o vell..

5/17/08 6:17 PM
kot1k

I know that Kenya and Tanzania are very safe and tourist friendly for the most part. Israelies vacation there, and if it's safe for them, it's safe for anyone.

5/19/08 9:47 AM
MikeZev

i dunno k-dub T. they have FISTULAS there.

6/17/08 10:10 PM
BodyandSoul

Edited: 06/17/08 11:13 PM
ABE FROMAN - 

I would do it by myself in a second, I have no doubt I'm bigger and better trained than what I'd be facing and I'm an adrenaline junkie.

Machetes my friend are no joke.

But K-Dub is completely right about the love of foreigners/tourists. Even worse, in many countries they'll treat white Americans better than black Americans (although I've heard that black American tourists going back to the 'homeland' can occasionally be a bit much and a bit hypocritical). But anyways, a few years back a young, white, attractive female friend of mine travelled to Ghana by herself. She originally planned to be there for three weeks but ended up spending almost three months. She travelled all around by herself and everywhere she went people were falling all over themselves to do everything for her. The only negative experience she had was people pointing out how much weight she gained. "You've become so fat" was meant as a compliment but I don't think she wanted to hear it. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.