UnderGround Forums

PoliticalGround >> Bush attacks Obama

5/15/08 3:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hubris
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In veiled attack, Bush criticizes Dems for terrorist 'appeasement'

By Ed Henry

CNN White House Correspondent

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- President Bush launched a sharp but veiled attack Thursday on Sen. Barack Obama and other Democrats, suggesting they favor "appeasement" of terrorists in the same way some Western leaders appeased Hitler in the run-up to World War II.

The president did not name Obama or any other Democrat, but White House aides privately acknowledged to CNN that the remarks were aimed at the presidential candidate and others in his party.

After Bush's comments were widely reported, the White House denied they were an attack aimed at Obama.

According to Obama's Web site, he favors "tough, direct presidential diplomacy with Iran without preconditions, and is willing to meet with the leaders of all nations, friend and foe."

He does not favor talks with Hamas, which the U.S. government has listed as a terrorist group.

Former President Jimmy Carter recently wrapped up a trip to the Middle East, which included talks with leaders of Hamas, an Islamic fundamentalist group that controls the Palestinian territory of Gaza.

"Some seem to believe we should negotiate with terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along," Bush said at Israel's 60th anniversary celebration in Jerusalem.

"We have heard this foolish delusion before," Bush said in remarks to Israel's parliament, the Knesset.

"As Nazi tanks crossed into Poland in 1939, an American senator declared: 'Lord, if only I could have talked to Hitler, all of this might have been avoided.' We have an obligation to call this what it is -- the false comfort of appeasement, which has been repeatedly discredited by history."
5/15/08 3:06 PM
Le Shat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bush was correct. FACT.
5/15/08 3:07 PM
cthlcschlgrl

Le Shat - Bush was correct. FACT.

Krect.

5/15/08 3:16 PM
Shawn C

May 15, 2008

Biden calls Bush comments 'bulls**t'

Posted: 02:22 PM ET

From CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett

(CNN) — The chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee Joe Biden, D-Delaware, called President Bush's comments accusing Sen. Barack Obama and other Democrats of wanting to appease terrorists "bulls**t" and said if the president disagrees so strongly with the idea of talking to Iran then he needs to fire his secretaries of State and Defense, both of whom Biden said have pushed to sit down with the Iranians.

"This is bullshit. This is malarkey. This is outrageous. Outrageous for the president of the United States to go to a foreign country, sit in the Knesset…and make this kind of ridiculous statement," Biden said angrily in a brief interview just off the Senate floor.

"He's the guy who's weakened us. He's the guy that's increased the number of terrorists in the world. His policies have produced this vulnerability the United States has. His intelligence community pointed that out not me. The NIE has pointed that out and what are you talking about, is he going to fire Condi Rice? Condi Rice has talked about the need to sit down. So his first two appeasers are Rice and Gates. I hope he comes home and does something."

He quoted Gates saying Wednesday that we "need to figure out a way to develop some leverage and then sit down and talk with them."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/
5/15/08 3:21 PM
Le Shat

Biden? LMAO
5/15/08 3:24 PM
Crazy Zimmerman
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bush is correct. He doesn't appease terrorists, he brokers "cease-fires" with them.  Look at the way he's groveling up to Al-Sadr and basically begging him to not terrorize us anymore.

Yep, Bush is correct.

5/15/08 3:25 PM
Shawn C

Crazy Zimmerman -  Bush is correct. He doesn't appease terrorists, he brokers "cease-fires" with them.
...and pays them off.
5/15/08 3:26 PM
Crazy Zimmerman
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, sure.  But it's not appeasement!  That's what counts.

5/15/08 3:28 PM
StrikeAnywhere
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/15/08 3:29 PM

I still don't understand what's the big deal with talking to Iran....just because we talk to them doesn't mean we surrender all ability to stop them from having nukes

5/15/08 3:29 PM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ 27%ers

5/15/08 3:34 PM
hubris
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HUSSEIN?
5/15/08 3:34 PM
ABE FROMAN
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello Vice President Biden.

5/15/08 3:43 PM
Crazy Zimmerman

StrikeAnywhere - 

I still don't understand what's the big deal with talking to Iran....just because we talk to them doesn't mean we surrender all ability to stop them from having nukes

By not talking to Iran you can just paint them as "evil" and forget about it.  Makes it much easier for the general public to digest.  Us good, them bad.  That's how dumbed down American foreign policy has become.

5/15/08 4:08 PM
hubris

appeasement lol
5/15/08 4:26 PM
Information

Bush is correct. He doesn't appease terrorists, he brokers "cease-fires" with them. Look at the way he's groveling up to Al-Sadr and basically begging him to not terrorize us anymore.

Stop being stupid, if that's possible.
5/15/08 4:30 PM
Information

By not talking to Iran you can just paint them as "evil" and forget about it. Makes it much easier for the general public to digest. Us good, them bad. That's how dumbed down American foreign policy has become.

I like the alternative much better.

Plead with and cajole a state that has murdered literally hundreds of your citizens and continues to murder them to this day. That will certainly teach our enemies a lesson.

Gee, CZ, for someone who moans about how he cares so much for our soldiers you sure are non-chalant when it comes to their murder. But I guess that's just you putting your politics ahead of their lives. As usual.
5/15/08 4:38 PM
Redneck
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bush is correct. Obama's middle name is Hussein.

5/15/08 4:47 PM
StrikeAnywhere
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Information - Plead with and cajole a state that has murdered literally hundreds of your citizens and continues to murder them to this day. That will certainly teach our enemies a lesson.

Gee, CZ, for someone who moans about how he cares so much for our soldiers you sure are non-chalant when it comes to their murder. But I guess that's just you putting your politics ahead of their lives. As usual.

If Isrealies and Palestinians can talk to each other I'm sure we could probably talk to Iran.   Just because we talk to them doesn't mean we fold to all their demands.  I didn't know we fought wars to teach people lessons.

5/15/08 4:51 PM
ThugLife

Im a big fan of Biden. Info, did you ever get back into the army?
5/15/08 4:53 PM
Information

If Isrealies and Palestinians can talk to each other I'm sure we could probably talk to Iran. Just because we talk to them doesn't mean we fold to all their demands.

How about we fold to none of their demands?

Here's a simple solution-- once Iran stops killing Americans we will open any and all diplomatic channels necessary to acheive a peaceful co-existence. Until that point, we will simply repeat our demand in the most measured way possible.

If you want to call that "talking" or "negotiating", fine by me.

I didn't know we fought wars to teach people lessons.

Huh? What war are we fighting to teach someone a lesson?
5/15/08 4:53 PM
Information

Im a big fan of Biden. Info, did you ever get back into the army?

Nope. I've run out of options with the Army and I'm looking into other ways to serve.
5/15/08 5:00 PM
hubris

5/15/08 5:02 PM
StrikeAnywhere

I was just quoting you.....and who says we have to give in to any of their demands if we talk to them?

Wouldn't not talking to them just lead to prolonged posturing on both sides till potentially there's a war?   I guess I just don't see the negative to just talkin'.

5/15/08 5:02 PM
ThugLife

info - check your mma males
5/15/08 5:03 PM
Up With Evil
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe the Reagan-esque approach would be to quietly start sending the Iranains weapons as a show of goodwill.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.