UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> minimalist berry smoothie?

5/16/08 10:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
savage animal
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/16/08 10:48 AM

I recently cut out my nightly ice cream habit, bought frozen mixed berries for smoothies, but haven't found a good method yet, looking to minimalize additional ingredients.

Most berry smoothy recipes I have found include yogurt and milk, or just milk. I wonder if I can use yogurt, but leave out the milk.

I would prefer no dairy since I take ZMA shortly thereafter (avoiding dairy at that time of day, due to the magnesium in ZMA).

Thus far I have just thrown in some fruit juice, want to do pom. but so expensive. A touch of OJ did the trick, but not what I am looking for.

Anybody?

Thanx!
5/19/08 6:30 AM
flemsnopes
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Water and frozen berries make for a decent parfait that you can eat with a spoon. If you don't mind soda, you can use diet sprite, which is makes it even sweeter.

Strawberries, raspberries both work really well on their own with just a little water to keep the blender from clogging.
5/22/08 2:58 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Use soy milk or rice milk.  They all taste pretty much the same in smoothies anyway.  I prefer soy milk.

Dump blueberries in blender, pour soy milk in until it fills in the gaps between the berries and rises almost to the top of the blueberries, add a tsp or two of honey and blend.  Viola

Raspberries, as someone else said, and blackberries also stand alone well.  However, the texture is not as nice because of the stems inside them, so it's grainy. 

One thing I like to do is blueberries, cranberries and a little peanut butter.  Tastes like a peanut butter and jelly.

Mango and strawberries mix with just about anything.

If you're using frozen berries, put them in the blender, fill it up with hot tap water, let it sit for a couple minutes, then pour out the water and they should be mostly thawed.  It's good to have it a little frozen still.. keeps it cold.

I personally find that adding fruit juice sometimes makes it too sour, so I typically avoid it.  I also always use honey for a sweetener.

5/22/08 4:38 PM
Extendo
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Use soy milk or rice milk."

Soy is terrible for you and causes Alzheimer's. I would avoid at all costs. Other than that, good info.
5/22/08 4:44 PM
savage animal
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanx guys!

soy causes Alzheimers, what the hell?
5/22/08 4:51 PM
Extendo
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry, soy just causes cancer. It's tofu that causes Alzheimers. I always screw the two up. I've had a twenty year long ban on all soy products.
5/22/08 5:00 PM
Matt Freedman
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unsweetened almond milk is now available in regular grocery stores. There's a PDF with nutritional info on this page:

http://www.bluediamond.com/retail/breeze/index.cfm
5/26/08 12:21 PM
savage animal

I picked up some organic (cow) milk at Trader Joe's yesterday. Almond milk huh? That might be the deal right there!
5/26/08 12:25 PM
savage animal

Thanks guys.

Alpo, you were right about fruit juice not cutting it, Pomegranate juice from concentrate, no dice.

Gonna though some organic lowfat yogurt ans the milk in there, see how it goes, probably good to have some dairy in my diet besides the occasional piece of cheese anyhow.

Def checking out this almond milk...until Extendo comes back and says it causes AIDS
6/8/08 3:33 PM
HarryLime
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's two that work for me
Yogurt (grass fed) > Almond Butter > Raw Eggs > Splenda

(yep, raw egg has some risk. I give the shells a quick bath of hot water and anti-bacterial soap before rinsing and cracking 'em)

Yogurt > Mixed Berries > unflavored whey protein powder > vanilla extract > Splenda

I know some peeps will call the Splenda unnatural, but there are enough studies out there to suggest moderate use is harmless. Sometimes I sub honey if I need the calories.
6/8/08 6:59 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eh, honey's not that bad.  You're looking at about 60 calories for a tablespoon.  I typically use 1 tablespoon for a full blender (52 ounces), which I then divide in half, 26 oz for me and 26 oz for my girlfriend.  Yes, it's basically like 85% sugar, but you don't need that much.  Just a bit to cut the tartness of the berries and such.  I just prefer to use natural ingredients, plus it's supposed to help with allergies. (local honey only, not the big brand stuff)

6/9/08 12:20 PM
DoctorLizardo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

get raw farm honey like alpo says. most store brands are pasteurized which destroy or denature the 70 some odd things in honey that give it all it's cool properties.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.