UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Going to Cornell College in the Fall

5/17/08 8:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheRealJoker
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.cornellcollege.edu

I'm really excited about it, its in a small town (Mt. Vernon, Iowa) and is a small school but I decided while looking for colleges that was the type of school I wanted to go to. I honestly dont think I would do very well in a class with 100+ people where the professor doesn't even know your name.

Cornell's classes are all in a "One Course at a Time" format where they are 3.5 weeks, then when you're done you do the next course. In the fall you do 4 classes, then in the Spring you can do 5 but the last block is optional in case you want to go on vacation, start an internship early, etc.

I've done similar style classes called "Minimesters" at the CC i'm at now and am currently in one now. I like this format a lot better than taking 4 or 5 classes at once and some drastically different than others. EX: I dont like going from accounting hw to british lit lol.

Is anyone familiar with this school? It has the same name as Cornell University but it has been around longer (mid 1800s). Either way i'll just put "Cornell" on job apps lol!!!

5/19/08 6:32 AM
Hollywood Blonde
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats, TRJ!
5/19/08 5:15 PM
TheRealJoker
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks HB!!!

5/25/08 7:31 AM
Krispy
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My dad went to cornell loved it when he graduated the doctor told him he had aids.
7/19/08 4:01 AM
GrandInquisitor
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the most brilliant people I know went to Cornell College.

his name is Fred Smith and he was my Sanskrit and Vedic lit. professor when I was at the university of Iowa. The man is an absolute fountain of knowledge, though some people have a tough time with him as a teacher because he doesn't so much lecture as he does create new theories and methods while in class (he loves the dialectical method and really pushes his students to actually *think* and participate in class).

One time he told me the reason he went to Cornell was when he was 16 (mind you, Fred was something of a wunderkind and had his pick of every elite school in the nation) he was moved out of high school into University, and when he was told he had to choose his school he simply excluded every school within 1000 miles of his native New Mexico and then ran his finger down a list, and he just happened to hit this neat little school in eastern Iowa. He has spoken very highly of the Chinese department at Cornell, so if you are interested, you may want to check it out.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.