UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> High end restaurant recommendations

5/18/08 11:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pustak
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Part of my current job involves making suggestions and reservations at restaurants all over the world for the filthy rich. Pursuant to that, I come to you the OG for your wisdom and advice. I've certainly got a few places I like to recommend, but I'm interested to hear of your experiences in fine dining. Where would you go again? Where would you avoid?
5/18/08 11:55 AM
rerox
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

depends on how much your clientle really cares about food. If they want real upscale fine dining, there are the common heavy hitters like most Keller restaurants (French Laundry, Per Se), Masa (nyc), Craft (vegas, nyc), El Bulli (spain), Gary Danko's (SF), most of Gordon Ramsey's places, Danny Meyer restaurant's, jean-george, boulud, and smaller places that are just as elegant.

The food is good, don't get me wrong, but then there are other places that aren't as "upscale" yet produce equal if not better food. Au pied de cochon (montreal), chez panisse (SF), tribute (MI), tapawingo (MI), are just some examples of a more relaxed atmosphere.

Then there are the old school heavy hitters like bocuse, ducasse, roger verge, la pyramid(fernand point old restaurant).

i am leaving out ALOT of restaurants, and i mean ALOT, but to most these are somewhat well known and within the realm of pop culture knowledge. With some research i'm sure you can find a small vineyard in italy that serves some kick ass food. Good luck and have fun. Sounds like a cool job.
5/19/08 11:09 AM
Pustak
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The food is good, don't get me wrong, but then there are other places that aren't as "upscale" yet produce equal if not better food. Au pied de cochon (montreal), chez panisse (SF), tribute (MI), tapawingo (MI), are just some examples of a more relaxed atmosphere."

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for -- I know the names of all the big ones, and their reputations, as well as some of the less famous places (Chez Panisse, for example), but I've not and likely never will eat at most of them, so I'm looking for more personal perspectives. Which places don't live up to their reputations? Which relatively unknown places offer a great alternative to the bi names? That sort of thing.
5/19/08 4:03 PM
kot1k
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the best way is to go by chef. Many of the heavy hitters have restaurant empires and offer consistency throughout. Guys like Alain Ducasse, Jean Georges Vongerichten, Daniel Boulud all have multiple places all over the world and usually the flagship restaurants are amazing. 

Another good resource is the Michelin guide. The 3 Star places are always perfect, and you can find 2 Star places with greqat food for less. For example, in NYC the 3 Star places are Jean- Georges, Per Se, and Le Bernardin. These are arguably the best 3 restaurants in the US. As far as 2 Star places, they are also for the most part amazing, but tend to be liked less or more by people depending on taste. I don't think anyone that's acustomed to fine dining would find any fault with the 3 Star places. The Michelin guide is pretty biased towards French cusine, but you can't fault them.

As far as the rest of the world, look at the Gault Millau guide for Europe and France in particular, as another resource besides the Michelin guide.

5/19/08 6:37 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another good resource is the Michelin guide.

Sadly, Michelin only rates restaurants in four North American cities: New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Las Vegas
5/19/08 7:25 PM
rerox

There is a wealth of not-so-famous restaurants that are just great diamonds in the rough.

Michelin is very important don't get me wrong but they are very limited to who they rate. Here are some places that I have eaten at personally and really like. Some are upscale, and some are just plain good, service be damned.

Tribute -Farmington Hills, Michigan - www.tributerestaurant.com
Topawingos - Michigan - www.tapawingo.net
Everest - Chicago - www.everestrestaurant.com
Father's Office - L.A.
http://losangeles.citysearch.com/review/11416036
NoMi- Chicago - www.nomirestaurant.com
Tacocina - Wappinger Falls, NY - EXCELLENT pork brain tacos
Rosendale's - Ohio - www.rosendales.com
Taste of Naples - Hyde Park, NY - Just a plain ole great hole in the wall pizza joint. Worth the mention.
No. 9 Park - Boston - http://www.theno9group.com/
Noble Fish - Clawson, Michigan - cheap yet excellent sushi
http://www.metrotimes.com/metropolis/restaurants/review.asp?id=7834

Been to many more but these are some off the top of my head.
5/20/08 9:12 AM
Pustak

Thanks for the list, rerox. I'm familiar with some of those, and happy to add the others to the repertory. But I'm looking for more *personal* experiences.

Who has some place they loved, which they think doesn't get enough credit? I can send people there.

Anyplace that treated you like shit? I can dry up their business significantly.

Let me know!
5/20/08 10:37 AM
Z
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been to Jean George and Le Bernardin for the three star restaurants. They were both amazing. Le Bernardin had a much more formal atmosphere since jackets were required (they had some for you to wear in case you forgot). Jean Goerge's hostess were extremely hot and seeing the exposed kitchen was cool.

I would recommend both.
5/20/08 4:14 PM
rerox

Prune is great!

gari sushi is a great place in the NYC.

Spotted pig, the fat duck some other good places....
5/23/08 2:31 PM
icedog11
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gladiator Mouthguards, king/dictator 4 life

Try the American Express Platinum dinning guide. they are all no miss restaurants. covers most of the world 

5/23/08 7:11 PM
Pustak

"Try the American Express Platinum dinning guide. they are all no miss restaurants. covers most of the world "

LOL, OH THE IRONY!
6/1/08 5:20 PM
SE7ENFOLD

North 44 - In Toronto
6/1/08 10:24 PM
kot1k
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pustak - "Try the American Express Platinum dinning guide. they are all no miss restaurants. covers most of the world "

LOL, OH THE IRONY!

lol, is that who you work for?

6/1/08 11:57 PM
Pustak

" lol, is that who you work for?"

no comment.
6/6/08 4:37 PM
icedog11
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gladiator Mouthguards, president/principal
SE7ENFOLD - North 44 - In Toronto

I prefer panaroma or Duex pommes

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.