UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> The economics of Heineken?

5/20/08 8:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We've had the discussion on here about Heineken in the "can" being superior to the bottled version, due to green bottles allowing the light to skunk the beer.

I've been intrigued by the mini kegs I've see offered, but the price seemed a bit high. But, never bothered to do the math before...

In today's paper, I saw 12 packs for 12.99, and the five liter keg for 19.99... that equals $1.08/12 oz for the 12 pack, and $1.42/12 oz for the mini keg.

Why the 31% difference... novelty factor?
5/21/08 3:06 PM
drunkenfighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Why the 31% difference... novelty factor?"

Yes. In addition, people will pay for that "draft beer taste" you can have at home. From experience, I can honestly say that the mini keg > can > bottle.
5/21/08 8:41 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/21/08 8:49 PM
drunkenfighter - "Why the 31% difference... novelty factor?"Yes. In addition, people will pay for that "draft beer taste" you can have at home. From experience, I can honestly say that the mini keg > can > bottle.

I just checked out the Heineken web-site and I see that their 5 liter Draughtkeg actualy has a built-in CO2 cartidge... might have to try one this weekend.
5/22/08 1:04 PM
drunkenfighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will be glad you did. Let me know how it worked out for you.

Cheers.

BTW - they recommend a 10+ hour chill time for the keg . . . so plan ahead.
5/22/08 9:15 PM
Kevin Curtis

I bought one tonight. I'll probably crack it when I get home from the baseball game tomorrow night. It's in my fridge, and was cold when bought.

Thanks... I'll let you know what I think.
5/27/08 11:00 AM
kot1k
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chill it for a long time. I didn't chill mine enough, and got mostly foam on the first 5 glasses. It's great though.

5/27/08 5:04 PM
Kevin Curtis

Edited: 05/27/08 5:07 PM
"Chill it for a long time. I didn't chill mine enough, and got mostly foam on the first 5 glasses"

Mine was in the cooler at the beverage store, and I had it in my fridge for two days before "tapping it".

I had about eight - 1/2 glasses before getting rid of the excess foam.

The mini keg is a vast improvement, IMO, over the bottles.

I give it a 8.5/10

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.