UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Proof of the BS stoppage

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/26/08 2:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caliphornia
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i agree that the fight should have kept going. the ref made a mistake, but it did not effect the outcome of the fight in my opinion. BJ simply had this in the bag. no disrespect to sherk though.
5/26/08 2:27 AM
Samoanpowr
1078 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is like the Budweiser ad-campaign where the chameleons are pissed at the Frogs for getting all of the press.  Orcus is like the obsessed chameleon.  Orcus is fixated on how to undue BJ's win.

Let it go Louie.

Samoa. 

5/26/08 2:29 AM
orcus

Actually I don't think Mario made the mistake. He NEVER waved to signal the fight was over. At worst he didn't make it clear to Sherk what was going on, but that should have been up to Sherk's corner; Mario was busy trying to keep BJ away.

Now, it's possible Sherk's cornermen told him what was going on and he said "fuck it", in which case there is no controversy, just a logistical/whatever issue that needs to be investigated and prevented from ever happening again. Although even then it could be argued that all the End of Fight crew running into the ring had the effect of convincing Sherk it was over and even after his cornermen explained it wasn't, that he had already mentally reconciled to the fight being stopped, which would have affected his decision not to continue. Either way, not a trivial matter at all.

I agree that BJ almost certainly had the fight in the bag, but that is irrelevant.

5/26/08 2:30 AM
orcus

Edited: 05/26/08 2:30 AM

"Orcus is fixated on how to undue BJ's win."

Do you think your opponent and/or the Event Staff should decide when you have been TKO'd in your title fight?

I think that's a pretty important question.

5/26/08 2:31 AM
caliphornia

Keyser Söze - To the motherfucking TOP.

Caliphornia, just because you really really really like a fighter, like so much that you'd let him cornhole you, doesn't mean that you get to predict his future. Point is we got robbed of the true outcome, whatever it may have been.

true, but that's why i said "in my opinion"

if you don't agree with my opinion then that's your opinion. if you don't like it then fuck you.
5/26/08 2:33 AM
jbapk

"I hope Elias or other MMA journalists investigate this."

They're still looking for who tainted Sherk's supplements.

Just kidding, I know you're trolling now:)
5/26/08 2:34 AM
orcus

Same question for jbapk:

Do you think your opponent and/or the Event Staff should decide when you have been TKO'd in your title fight?

5/26/08 2:35 AM
Racer X
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, the decision was made before that clip. What you see there is Mario signaling TO THE CROWD that the fight has been called.Since the official call was "because Sherk can't continue" it seems likely that it was Sherk,his corner, or the fight doctor who called the fight,not Mario.

Nice try. The outcome was proper. Anyone wanting another round clearly hates Sean Sherk and wants him to be done harm.j/k

5/26/08 2:39 AM
orcus

"Since the official call was "because Sherk can't continue" it seems likely that it was Sherk,his corner, or the fight doctor who called the fight,not Mario."

Possible. If so, I hope that is cleared up.

But keep in mind that "The referee and ringside physician are the sole arbiters of a bout and are the only individuals authorized to enter the fighting area at any time during competition and authorized to stop a contest." I don't see anyone there -- doctor, Sherk, or a cornerman -- telling Mario to call the fight. It appears that he just waves it off because with the circus in the ring and Sherk and Penn hugging, it is obviously past the point of no return.

5/26/08 2:40 AM
jbapk

"and/or the Event Staff"

LOL you mean like the refs and the fight doctor? Yes, in fact I do believe they should be able to stop the fight orcus.

This is not going to end well for you.
5/26/08 2:46 AM
Racer X
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus, seriously. If Mario called the fight it wasn't because BJ said he should. You are insulting the man's objectivity with no real basis for doing so. You could see as well as any of us that Sean was done. Why do you assume that the professional ref 5 feet from the action is depending more on BJs opinion than his own eyes?

Oh wait, you're just trolling for fun,yes?

5/26/08 2:46 AM
orcus

Also keep in mind that Rogan, who was watching ringside and saw more than just what the camera showed us, said after Goldie announced the fight was over, "it looks like BJ just called the fight", which implies he didn't see a doctor or anyone else make the call, either.

When Rogan asked Sherk why the ref stopped it and Sherk says "I'm not sure" -- which certainly indicates to me that he thought the ref stopped it, and did not say he quit or could not continue. He says only that he didn't hear the bell and didn't know how much time was left in the round -- again, implying "how much time was left when the ref stopped it".

5/26/08 2:49 AM
jbapk

Lol, orcus is putting on a pretty good act to try and convince us he actually believes this.
5/26/08 2:50 AM
Windfall
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Mario made a decision based on Sherk being unable to stand up when the round ended.. Same type of ending as the Bisping/McCarthy, or Shamrock/Cung... the round ended and the fight wasn't *initially* over... but became over upon seeing the fighter after the bell.
5/26/08 2:52 AM
Racer X

jbapk - Lol, orcus is putting on a pretty good act to try and convince us he actually believes this.

I agree, a consumate performance.

Like BJ's j/k

5/26/08 2:59 AM
Fake Pie
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orcus is 100% correct. In another gif he posted Sherk is about to stand up but BJ waives at him that it has been called. He clearly thinks it was called and then sinks back down. Mario should have told him the round just ended. Clearly from Sherk's remarks he thought the fight had been stopped. Mario fucked up.

Also, zero class from Penn on waiving like that and not going to his corner and especially on the blood thing.

Penn caught him with a good knee but it was hardly the domination that the huggers claim. You guys are so BJ biased it isn't even funny, and I like Penn too.
5/26/08 3:01 AM
jbapk

"He clearly thinks it was called and then sinks back down."

Well, since you can read minds, I guess we'll have to accept your version of events.

Oh wait, no.
5/26/08 3:02 AM
Racer X

Sure looks like BJ got the better of the striking. How does BJ look? Damage?

I was commenting during the fight that Sean's movement "sells" his punches well, in that it looks like he is throwing with a lot of energy regardless of weather or not he connects. To someone who isn't looking for the effect of the punch he may look like a better striker than he is. What I mean is that BJ kept him at a range with the jab that made Sean's striking largely ineffectual, but damn, he looked busy!

SleepingViking
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/26/08 3:02 AM

Bell rang and Mario pulled BJ off, but didn't wave off the fight (so the round was over). 

Then BJ starts saying it's over and waving his arms while the cutman starts working on Sherk. 

Then the ring is flooded with people who I assume thought the fight was stopped form the knee and punches. 

BJ goes over to Sherk (who is on his feet only a few seconds after the bell went) and hugs him before Mario finally officially ends the fight by waving it off.

I'd be interested to hear what Keith Kizer thinks about this, I know they have a meeting with all the refs after the event. 

Samoanpowr
1078 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think that anyone but the ref should decide when you have been TKO' in any fight.  That is what Mario did; he deemed Sherk unfit to continue.

Samoa.

5/26/08 3:03 AM
FightWatcher
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn.. Sherk got beat so badly, his nutthuggers got brain damage,

5/26/08 3:04 AM
Fake Pie
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Well, since you can read minds, I guess we'll have to accept your version of events."

You can see with your own eyes what happens and then hear with your own ears what Sherk says. It isn't rocket science.
5/26/08 3:07 AM
jbapk

"It isn't rocket science."

I agree. It's not rocket science why a guy who had ate a flying knee, and then 7-8 unanswered punches, might have trouble standing up.
5/26/08 3:07 AM
caliphornia

damn, so many people said that sherk would KILL bj. so many people said "BJ will gas. sherk will win"

well guess what?

BJ beat sherk badly. sherk couldn't even get a single takedown.

and guess what else?

BJ didn't gas. sherk gassed. BJ was barely sweating or breathing hard at the end... but sherk was breathing extemely heavily and sweating alot more.

all the BJ Haters are bitter and angry so they make excuses for sherk's loss. the fact is, BJ won fair and square. get over it.
5/26/08 3:10 AM
orcus

" Lol, orcus is putting on a pretty good act to try and convince us he actually believes this."

Believes what? That it was a BS stoppage?

Mario doesn't even look at Sherk after the fight's over. He glances at him once and then back at BJ. He SHAKES HIS HEAD at BJ and his crew while BJ is celebrating, indicating it is NOT over. He then goes over to join Sherk's cornermen to check on Sherk, and as he is starting to kneel down, BJ runs over and licks Sherk's blood. Yamasaki looks back at BJ in annoyance, and as he does so, Goldie yells "It is all over!" and Rogan says "Wow, it looks like BJ just called the fight." The first time Mario waves to signal the end of the fight is in the gif I posted. You can verify this timeline yourself.

Like I said, this isn't a Yamasaki fuckup. He clearly indicated the fight was not over. The fault is primarily that of the Event Staff and crew who flooded the ring, clearly thinking the fight had been stopped. With some blame going to Sherk's corner, who presumably didn't make it clear to him he could continue. And of course to BJ, for his premature and classless celebration. And, oh yeah -- isn't physically interfering with your opponent between rounds a pretty serious infraction? Certainly no one can argue the fight was over at that point -- neither Mario nor the doctor had even looked at Sherk at that point, much less called the fight. Would it be cool if between rounds of their fight, Hughes went over and slapped Penn in the face?

"Well, since you can read minds, I guess we'll have to accept your version of events."

Or we can listen to his post-fight interview where Rogan asks him why the ref stopped it and Sherk says "I don't know, I'm not sure how much time was left in the round."

"the guy who lost doesn't know what the fuck is going on and can't remember the incident. lol"

He thought the ref stopped the fight, what is so hard to understand? All the event crew guys thought the same thing, and they don't have the excuse of being pounded in the face at the time.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.