UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Kenjutsu?

5/27/08 12:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
5Blades
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/27/08 12:44 AM

Kendo is lame and for kids (rich kids). Is there any place that even exists outside of Japan and preferably in Socal that teaches actual authentic Samurai style Kenjutsu?
5/28/08 12:26 PM
sta94
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

posted this on the other forum where you asked the same question:

http://www.koryu.com

5/28/08 9:15 PM
khd29

what's up, Sta?!

http://www.shinkageryu.us/

The link above is a NY dojo. Didn't check the entire site but hopefully, there is a SoCal affiliated dojo.
5/29/08 12:11 PM
sta94

khd, my man!!! how's your training going? what are you upto these days?

for authentic kenjutsu / old-school japanese martial arts, the koryu.com site is a good place to start.  the folks who run the site are long-time practitioners, spent decades training in japan, have written books on the subject and have a lot of connections in this world.

5/31/08 11:07 PM
ViewType

"Kendo is lame"

How so?
6/1/08 4:18 AM
5Blades
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ViewType - "Kendo is lame"

How so?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u8ZivVlZK90&feature=related
6/7/08 11:45 AM
ViewType

Kendo is lame because of a shitty video showing shitty Japanese sword work versus shitty European sword work?.
6/9/08 5:49 PM
sta94

^^^ I’m with ViewType – that was a pretty darn lame video. There are lots more better people doing kendo than the one shown on this video. Kendo has a whole lot more to offer than what you can glean from this video. Also, kendo, as a whole, has way more practitioners, is way better organized & structured, with a lot less jedi-wannabe-types involved than a lot of the recreated historical European swordsmanship groups.

You can complain all you want about the limitations/impracticality of kendo rules, armor, targets, shinai, etc. but honestly, in today’s world, how much more practical are the recreated European swordsmanship stuff or the ever-elusive Koryu arts? Kendo, as we know it today, has been practiced by a ton of people for way more than a century. It has a long lineage of high-ranking individuals that have contributed, and continue to contribute to the art. It counts thousands & thousands of enthusiastic practitioners throughout the world (of course, not as popular as judo, karate, etc. but for a traditional Asian fencing style, it’s pretty darned popular). Kendo, along with judo, is widely offered in schools throughout Japan (thus the large number of kids training in it & further ensuring a healthy population of future practitioners).

My buddy started kendo in his mid-30s. He’s now in his 40s and is a sandan. When I go watch tournaments in the NYC area I see a large number of adults from all walks of life competing and having a great time at it. It is very popular amongst the Japanese and Korean communities.

The training is hard, the community is strong and there is minimal mumbo-jumbo b.s. to wade through. Also, kendo incorporates a lot of the koryu arts’ components in its kata. Authentic koryu groups are extremely few and far-between here in the US.

About a decade ago, after years of competitive taekwondo (WTF/Olympic style) I too searched for an authentic koryu style to train in. I ended up with a small group training Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo here in NYC. Good folks, with direct links to a legitimate, high-ranking teacher in Japan. However, after a few years, I came to the conclusion that if I was to get the full experience of training in such arts, then I would have to move to Japan and devote considerable time to training. A few nights a week in downtown Manhattan just wasn’t cutting it. Also, the kata-only training just wasn’t doing it for me – so I moved on. While I’m glad I spent the time training Jodo – if nothing but to get the monkey off my back - if I had to do it again, I probably would have done Kendo.

SoCal has a big kendo scene according to my buddy. He always trains there when visiting in-laws.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.