UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Whats being in the reserves like?

5/28/08 2:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RamK
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you a reservist? if so what branch? What's it like?

Who can join reserves, only people who were military in the past?

-Curious. Thanks for the info
5/28/08 11:04 PM
MAJLeavitt
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been in the Guard and Reserves for about 20 years now. Love it.

Lots of good info here. It is true and factual and the most accurate you will get anywhere.

http://www.1800goguard.com/
5/28/08 11:39 PM
RamK
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just to clarify, you were in the guard and reserves for another military branch? or in the national guard for 20 years?
6/1/08 12:11 AM
BigDaddyPerkins
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One weekend a month, and every other year in Iraq.
6/20/08 2:33 PM
Dark Knight
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

By law your employer has to let you go for the two week training and it cannot be counted as your vacation time.

The guard will pay for college and also allows $4,000 a year for almost any type of school outside of college (cut hair, get your CDL, race car driving school...)

I have been in 17 years, love it.
6/24/08 1:36 PM
ChiggidyChops

BigDaddyPerkins is correct, as a NG member I have had three tours to Iraq since 03.

My main problem with the guard is all the dead weight that are allowed to stay in so that the states can get more funding. For example my platoon sergeant had over 19 yrs time in grade as an E-7. Its people like that who make it hard for us young guys to get rank. Sorry for the bitch, but I would recommend joining. For as much as i have my bitch and complaints. I love serving the Republic of Texas and the United States.
6/24/08 1:38 PM
Dark Knight
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My problem is not the dead weight, its when a scumbag gets in a leadership position and blows out 10 good soldiers and the state will not do anything.
7/23/08 3:16 PM
NinjaJackson

Nasty's...j/k....no i'm not
7/26/08 10:43 PM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been in the air national guard for a little under six years now. I'll almost definitely be getting out when it comes time for my ETS. It's a mixed bag, but has done many good things for me.

In my opinion, to do it "right" it's not just one weekend a month and two weeks a year like recruiters say. You have to put in extra time if you really want to be successful at all and have any shot of making it past E5 or O4 (depending on which path you're taking), and when it conflicts with your civilian career or education, you'll be expected to make it come first.

And that's not even counting the possibility (make that "certainty" if you're Army Guard) of getting deployed!

That being said there are some "guard bums" I've known who show up for drill and just sort of dial it in. Sometimes they manage to lurk under the radar just long enough, sometimes they don't.
7/30/08 3:45 AM
ianbulldog

Edited: 07/30/08 3:53 AM
hi
7/30/08 3:53 AM
ianbulldog

I was thinking about joining the Guard but I'm 32? Is that too old?
7/30/08 9:08 AM
Dark Knight

No, the Guard will take you up to 40. It was at 35 before, and there are alot of guys in thier 30's going to basic. I was 27 and thought I'd be the oldest but wasnt close.
7/30/08 9:13 PM
ianbulldog

Cool thanks for the insight.
8/1/08 7:17 PM
MAJLeavitt

Many are concerned with the conflicts with Civilian Careers. I had to deal with that for about 10 years off and on. The federal law does provide you protection, although admittidly it does not always eliminate discrimination. Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) http://www.esgr.org/ is a omnibudsman to assist both employers and Guardsmen/Reservist with the issues. Good organization.

It is an individual consideration and decision you have to make. It is not something for everyone.

I think for young people with no career and training though, the benefits can far exceed the cons. The Guard and Reserves can open up many career options for you.

I started out as a Traditional Guardsmen, I have been in the Air Guard, the Air Reserves, and the Army National Guard. Been a "guard/reserve bum" for about 10 years, now on Active duty as a fulltime AGR.

It has provided for my education (AAS, BS, and Masters), We even now have a new GI bill that provides even MORE benefits. bonuses, travel opportunities...healthcare...retirement and more.

Anyway, good luck and if you are interested, you need to talk to your local recruiter and better yet, guys that are in the units you are interested in joining. That is the best way to figure things out.
9/6/08 3:14 PM
bharrist

^What is the AGR exactly? It's been put to me that it's being active and reserve at the same time. I'm going to MEPS in a couple weeks to take my physical to get back in. Been out for 10 1/2 yrs. When told about the AGR and ART both piqued my interest.
9/6/08 3:46 PM
bharrist

Edited: 09/06/08 4:04 PM
Air Reserve Technician. Do your military job as a civilian M-F. Then do your 1 weekend a month, 2 wks a year as a Reservist.
9/8/08 7:44 PM
bharrist

not a problem. still trying to figure out what agr is. guess i should be asking the recruiter that one.
9/8/08 9:01 PM
Dark Knight

An AGR is active guard reserve.

it is full time with the guard or reserves. The person is paid by his rank, not as a federal technition.

You are an active duty military member, but belong to the state (National Guard) or the reserves.

Its a good deal, good job.
9/9/08 8:01 AM
bharrist

cool. thanks. both (art,agr) both interest me a lot. but if i can only do regular reserve for now i'll take that too.
9/9/08 8:25 AM
Dark Knight

Take advantage of education, if not college go to a trade school, get your CDL and become a truck driver they make 40 to 50 a year.
Learn to cut hair, they make good moneymechanic, just dont let the benifit go away.

Do you have a college degree yet? There are a ton of accredited schools that are easy to get through.
9/9/08 10:20 AM
Dark Knight

I am in the Guard, The National Guard offers a little better education benifits.

All sevices are good choices.

if you are looking at a full time job, there are many in the National Guard at the state level, check the states national guard web page and you will see job announcements. And if your willing to move to the DC area, once you get in there are a lot of jobs full time there.

I dont kno how the reserves full time works, so i dont know how much opportunity there is there.

I would reccomend a full time job in any government capacity, talk to anyone over 40 and they will agree. Build a retirement and health benifits.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.