UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> AFL Atlanta Results

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/30/08 11:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone? Just got home from a business dinner and haven't heard a thing.
5/31/08 12:16 AM
eljamaiquino
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan Christianson won with a slick armbar in the first minute. Very impressive jiujitsu for a HW!
5/31/08 12:18 AM
eljamaiquino

My friend Junior Assuncao lost a decision to a very tough Torrance Taylor. Looked like Junior gassed. Taylor was very active and squeeked out the decision
5/31/08 12:22 AM
eljamaiquino

Diego Saraiva won the AFL title in quite impressive fashion. second round TKO of Josh Cate. Josh was on his bike for much of the fight and ended up getting caught with knees and finished on the ground.

Main event was an excellent fight between Douglas Lima and Brent Weedman. Both guys were impressive with multiple submission attempts and some great round and pound by Douglas. Douglas got caught in a triangle and escaped, but ended up getting caught again at the end of the second round I think, with a triangle/armbar combo...
5/31/08 12:22 AM
eljamaiquino

Oh yeah...AFL announced some new fighters, Jeff Bedard, Bobby Lashley (the wrestler), and Tara Larosa...
5/31/08 12:24 AM
govols6911
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did George Allen win??
5/31/08 12:25 AM
Orion

Who won the George Allen/Lockhardt fight?
5/31/08 12:26 AM
govols6911
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^That's scary Cam...we posted that at almost the same time...
txbudoka

Dan has shown good jits in some of his other fights too. He almost made Frank Mir tap when they fought.
Orion

Ha!! fuck off Munchbox!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!
Orion

Great minds think alike.
5/31/08 12:27 AM
Orion

Any other results?
5/31/08 12:46 AM
eljamaiquino

George Allen lost a close decision (one round) to George Lockhart. Allen didn't seem to get going at all. He looked like he had Lockhart hurt with strikes a few times but didn't capitalize. We couldn't figure out why...
5/31/08 12:49 AM
eljamaiquino

Let me try to remember..."Rick James" ended up getting TKO'ed by his opponent. His opponent was a lot chubbier (some slight boobs/gyno?) but had MUCH better gas. He could have finished Robi (spelling?) earlier, but ended up winning in the third. He basically got mount and threw strikes while the Robi seemed too tired to defend. TKO by exhaustion IMO...
5/31/08 12:51 AM
eljamaiquino

Allen's fight was really close. A little extra effort might have swayed the judges. He basically let it slip out of his hands, which was sad because it seems like Allen was brought in to lose. Would have been nice to see the underdog win. Lockhardt is an active Marine, and it seems like AFL is pushing the military fighters...
5/31/08 12:52 AM
eljamaiquino

Ethan Garrison by complete ownage. Gracie 101 on display. Clinch to takedown to multiple sub attempts to RNC.
5/31/08 12:57 AM
eljamaiquino

Would have liked to see travenbjj to put a face to the name since we used to have such arguments on the UG (old screen name).

After thoughts:

The arena was maybe 20% full which was actually pretty good IMO since Philips is Huge. With the upper decks covered/roped off, it made it look like maybe 60% full. I don't know how they plan to sell a PPV later on. Doesn't seem like their name is that big nationwide. The attendance was a bit better than the Bodog events that I've seen on TV. Considering that the AFL's payroll is a lot less, they may last, but I'm curious about their business plan.

Not too many of the general Atlanta public seemed to know about it...
5/31/08 1:06 AM
eljamaiquino

My wife and I were saying that they should have called in the top Atlanta radio stations , and gave some tickets away for a promotion. They need to generate interest outside of the hardcores.

Some other thoughts: Event was very well paced. No dead time at all. The fights kept moving. Not too gung ho on Lashley, but I guess they're following the Lesnar route. He will sell tickets if his name is put out there.

No cans tonight at all. Only Ethan Garrison and Diego Saraiva won from GA. I thought they might have set up a can or two to keep the favorites going, but no dice. Great matchmaking for the viewer, but not for the fighter looking for an easy win. Better bring your A game guys.......

I have no idea where they will find opponents for Larosa. Hopefully it's non exclusive because there aren't enough women to spread out to too many orgs. Kinda sucky that larosa beat Bayzler, yet Bayzler is now on Elite XC. But then again, I doubt Shayna gets a shot at the title unless Gina gets taken out. Is there even a true women's division at Elite XC?
5/31/08 1:10 AM
eljamaiquino

I also hoped there would be a bit more. These orgs need to work the promotion harder. Go to high schools that have football and wrestling. Call into radio sports stations in the demographic. It's not rocket science. I hope the ORG continues because they have solid fighters and it looks like they're setting up a true women's division.

I feel the UFC would sell out because they have a (inter)national marketing machine. Perhaps an UFN at a smaller area would be a better step first.
5/31/08 1:13 AM
eljamaiquino

I don't think PPV is the way to go this early either. And it seemed like Traven was cornering EVERY single GA fighter, even Ethan, who is still at KU. I'm surprised that the higherups at his gym didn't pull rank on that
5/31/08 1:32 AM
aissa
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/31/08 1:32 AM
All those guys train together @ bodyplex. Traven & Roan for the most part over see all the training. There's guys from Hard core...Unit 2....KU....Brian Stann from WEC
5/31/08 1:35 AM
Orion

To my understanding they were promoting it all over the Regular Guys radio show with sponsorships and ticket givaways.

4000 seats sold is typical for a local high end ATL show, about the same as the bigger shows at Wild Bills.
5/31/08 1:38 AM
DavidOblas
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/31/08 1:46 AM
Good show!
5/31/08 3:11 AM
KenP

MMAagents.com, Sports Agent

ttt for Diego!

5/31/08 3:23 AM
CindyO

travenbjj - 

^^^  I agree, I would guess around 3 to 4 thousand.    Wonder how much it cost to rent the building?   I was really hoping for more to show the UFC we could sell alot of tickets to an MMA show.

I was scanning another news site 30 minutes ago (don't trust the reliability of what's reported there) and they claim the ticket sales for this show was something like 754 and 2,500 tickets were comps. That can't possibly be accurate, is it?

Cindy

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.