UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Is Chipotle Just a Buzzword?

6/2/08 2:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I eat at my fair share of restaurants. Every restaurant on the planet seems to have something with "chipotle" in the name. I never seem to taste anything even remotely resembling a smoked jalapeno in any of it.

Are my taste buds dead, or are these assholes adding a tiny pinch of ground chipotle, just so they can use it in the dish name or description?

Hell, even Chipotle (the burrito place) doesn't have anything that tastes like chipotles on their menu, so far as i can tell.
6/2/08 6:03 AM
crescentwrench
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sometimes they have Tabasco sauce that is chipotle flavored.  But yeah, it's the new ingredient in everything.  You're the hip one at the party if you bring some dip or side with a couple of chipotles chopped in it.
6/2/08 11:09 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chipotle is so 2005.  It's all about habenero now.

6/3/08 4:30 PM
MikeZev
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i find whole chipotles to be a little outside of what is normally "just hot enough" to really flt on most restaurants menus.

6/3/08 6:52 PM
warcake
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mullet @ Heart - I eat at my fair share of restaurants. Every restaurant on the planet seems to have something with "chipotle" in the name. I never seem to taste anything even remotely resembling a smoked jalapeno in any of it.

100% correct.  It's just a bullshit buzzword now.

6/5/08 1:58 AM
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is really too bad, as it's one of my favorite flavors.
6/5/08 1:10 PM
sloppy2nds
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One can goes pretty far.

6/5/08 2:51 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can? wtf?

6/5/08 11:52 PM
Mullet @ Heart

The canned ones taste better than the dehydrated ones.

So...

I think I'm ready to do my own. I'm just trying to decide how to preserve them. I'd like to do a huge batch, and be able to have them anytime I need them.

Food Saver isn't the smart way to go, because I only want to save like 2 per bag. The price of the bags would make this a complete waste.

I'm way too good for ordinary freezer bags.

Any other thoughts?
6/6/08 6:43 AM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Canning?
6/6/08 9:53 AM
sloppy2nds
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not only is canned better than dehydrated, the 'sauce' that they are packed in the can with is fantastic.  Just becareful, because they still pack a decent amount of heat.

6/6/08 11:27 AM
Mullet @ Heart

Canning doesn't seem like a real practical way to save in batches of 2 either. :(
6/6/08 12:39 PM
alpo

I have never even seen canned before. lol

My grocery just has a section with all kinds of bulk dried chilis.  During the spring and summer, there's people out front selling them fresh.

They probably have it somewhere, I just never payed attention.  I honestly don't really use them that often.  I prefer regular fresh/raw peppers for almost everything.

6/6/08 1:01 PM
Extendo
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, I've never seen canned chipotles either. Is the sauce loaded with sodium and preservatives?
6/7/08 12:51 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Probably.

They're labeled as "Chipotles in Adobo Sauce"
6/7/08 3:31 PM
sloppy2nds

The canned ones, like most goya stuff, is delicious and probably made with things that are no longer acceptable by the US FDA.

6/8/08 1:01 PM
Dankoholic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm allergic to chipotle flavors.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.