UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> What do the kids listen to these days?

6/2/08 7:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously, I'm out of the loop.

What does the average 10-15yr old listen to? What songs and artists are popular? Jack Johnson? John Mayer? Who's the new Green Day?

Help a guy out, will ya?
6/2/08 2:03 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know thats whats forced on them, but some kids still like music and want to learn instruments.

What is it they're hearing?
6/2/08 4:11 PM
Majic Sam
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lame nu metal w/ cookie monster verses that sound neither scary,tough,nor demonic.Add predictable heartfelt chorus with rousing,melodic sing along lyrics about how unfair life is.Can't you feel it?Don't you care?Pro Tool sequenced drums,over compressed everything.All sounds the same.Pretty much incapable of coming up with anything new,for the most part.Spoiled little sad sacks.Then they have their bad points...

At least this is what my 14 y.o. nephew listens to.I have lost all faith in my family bloodline...
6/3/08 2:05 PM
Willybone
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have 11yr old and 12yr old daughters. They like whatever is playing on the crappy dance music station for the most part. After that, it's heartfelt songs by cute alterna-rock guys.

BUT, they also both love 80s music. Honestly, the oldest one was running around the house singing "Rock You Like A Hurricane" last weekend. That's what makes me hope for the future.

6/3/08 7:31 PM
whtblt4eva
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

let's face it, none of us had taste in music at age 10-15.
6/3/08 9:59 PM
Perfer Et Obdura
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whtblt4eva - let's face it, none of us had taste in music at age 10-15.

I have two older brothers and when I was around 12 years old my oldest brother got me into Siouxsie and the Banshees and The Clash and the middle brother had me listening to Minutemen and Black Flag.

I lucked out I guess.

And I'm returning the favor for my oldest brothers great taste in music by getting his 16 year old daughter listening to Eric Avery's new release Help Wanted, which she said she digs quite a bit.
6/4/08 7:24 AM
DasBeaver

Haha, you guys are as bad as me.
6/4/08 7:34 AM
DasBeaver

Okay listen, I'm teaching beginner guitar and the majority of students are 9-14. When I ask them what they listen to or who their favorite bands are they can't give me any names, and when I ask them if they've heard of bands the answer is always no. Who's never heard of Nirvana, Radiohead, Chili Peppers or Green Day?
The guy I took over for had been teaching them all smoke on the water, and none of them had ever heard the original or even knew who played it. Its all very strange.
6/4/08 4:20 PM
Extendo
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, no clue. I was always a bit of a misfit.

At the 9-14 age range I was into the following bands:

Beach Boys
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Band of Gypsies
Dire Straits
The Moody Blues
Country Joe and The Fish
The Band
The Who
Zepppelin
Floyd
Zappa
Jeff Beck Group
James Brown

Yes, my parents were huge hippies.
6/5/08 11:58 AM
Dirt
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my friends' sons are into AC/DC, and rock and metal Guitar Hero stuff.  I dig that...other friend's daughters listen to dance and Fergie garbage.  You generally don't find chicks who listen to good music anyway, so it's about par for the course there

6/5/08 2:29 PM
Extendo
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just teach them the beginner tracks they should know:

Sultans of Swing.
Maybe Lenny Breau's version of Jerry Reid's The Claw.
6/5/08 3:38 PM
DasBeaver

Why didn't I think of that, haha!

I have to admit I've just listened to Jack Johnson for the first time, that guy's pretty good!
6/5/08 4:47 PM
Extendo

I loved Brushfire Fairytales, the second two albums are more of the same.

He's even better when playing with G Love and Frankenreiter, IMO.

http://www.amazon.ca/Some-Live-Songs/dp/B00076AGHO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212698224&sr=8-1

Here is a sample of them playing together, fuck ups and all.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rK0LWsEcSjM
6/6/08 8:35 AM
DasBeaver

Edited: 06/06/08 8:46 AM
Pretty cool!

What I;d like to do is compile a list of some simple songs without F or B, preferable that they would know.
So far I've got Ring of Fire, I walk the line (simplified), Time of your life & Working Class Hero -green day, No Rain - BLind Melon, Knockin on heavens door, Picture - Kid
Rock&Sheryl Crow, Three Little Birds
6/6/08 10:13 AM
SE7ENFOLD

alot of the hiphop crap.

Some of the "cool" 12 yr old kids are wearing Maiden and Priest shirts , so they MUST be listening to them!!!!

Really...Basic radio rock, top 40 alt rock, and a bunch of that indie NXNE folky , emo/punk/screamo/pop/rock.
6/9/08 1:18 PM
BarkLikeADog

Download the setlists from Guitar Hero & Rockband. They all know that shit upside down.
8/31/08 10:45 PM
Outlaw'sBrother
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I go to metal/hardcore shows in Seattle and have been seeing a lot of teens!!

I hope they all convert to Metal/Hardcore because pop and Pop rap and country pop need to die!!

Tell them to check out "Agraceful"!! An amazing screamo band that is positive!! Anything on Sumerian records!!
9/1/08 1:58 AM
JLove

I'm going to sum it up as...

SHIT.

they listen to shit, for the most part. horrible rap, horrible "rock"....

its all bad news.
9/3/08 2:40 AM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BarkLikeADog - Download the setlists from Guitar Hero & Rockband. They all know that shit upside down.

Perfect post. End of thread. Question answered. You will make them the envy of their friends.

kid A: Hey, I beat the  Guitar Hero Dragonforce song on expert!

kid B:  * plays same Dragonforce song on real guitar*
9/3/08 3:00 AM
BarkLikeADog

^I went to a coworker's house & his 9 year-old stepkid is widdly-widdlin through the advanced sets in Rock Band on expert like nothing, plus the plasma screen is out of sync by like a third of a second. Here I am, classically trained, struggling to get through Hard; this little fucker's got spare time to make fun of me during the set.
9/4/08 6:36 AM
DasBeaver

The perfect solution which I somehow overlooked, thanks man. I'm not classically trained, but I've been playing guitar for a while and suck at that game to the point of being embarrassed. I played it for the first time in Japan about 7 years ago in an arcade, somebody said I was a good guitarist and suddenly this big crowd of kids gathered around to watch me humiliate myself.
9/4/08 4:23 PM
BarkLikeADog

BTW, I've actually been introduced to some newer stuff that I had missed prior & like due to those games.

I have even more reasons to hate Metallica, now, too.
9/5/08 11:53 PM
parsell90

I cant believe the kids your teaching have never heard of green day or the Chili Peppers. American Idiot and Stadium Arcadium albums arent that old are they? i mean im only 18 im that not old am I???? 'looks in mirror with fear' oh wait arent Green Day called Foxboro Hot tubs now? maybe the kids might know that. ask them if they know Matchbox 20, Silverchair, Wolfmother, Linkin Park,Smashing Pumkins the White Stripes or The foo fighters they just released their latest albums over the 3 years surely theyll know at least one of these bands (one can only hope)
9/5/08 11:53 PM
parsell90

Surely they know Audioslave!!!
9/7/08 10:41 AM
DasBeaver

Yeah, one kid knew GreenDay and Goldfinger. It was fun teaching him the bass lines and jamming with him. Unfortunately I lost the gig because the old teacher decided to come back. What a drag, that was some easy money.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.