UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Whatchu know about electric smokers?

6/10/08 9:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cbgrappler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm looking at ordering a Rival® Electric Outdoor Smoker Oven ( K.C. Smoker ) , anyone have any experience with this particular smoker or others similiar that can offer opinions - are they good to get your start in smoking?

6/11/08 10:29 AM
MikeZev
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i got one of those $60 electric bullet typs smokers from lowes 2 years ago and have had great results. The only issues are with temp regulation but you'll get the hang of it in a couple weeks. i installed a thermometer on mine and pay attention to where i place the actual unit (shade, sun, wind etc) and the temp outside.

6/12/08 9:53 AM
dennisv
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/12/08 9:53 AM

I got a Bradley electric smoker. I love it, it's so easy to use. I set the temperature I want, and then let it go. I don't have to keep checking on it or anything.

6/12/08 3:44 PM
cbgrappler

ty for the feedback guys ... I ordered mine last night, it cost me 950 airmiles ... lol

6/18/08 9:08 AM
crescentwrench
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any updates, reviews, features you wish you had?

I'm getting orders to do pork shoulders, briskets, ribs n' stuff for every family function from now until I die so I'm thinking about getting one.  Sams Club has only one that they sell

www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do

I looked at it for about 14 seconds when getting chicken titties and cases of canned goods.  It has a pretty good latch, some device that you can reload wood chips without opening the door blah blah.  I want a BGE but getting what is essentially an oven is very tempting if I'm going to be bbq'ing in volume and with a lot of different meats. 
6/18/08 12:26 PM
MikeZev
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can we ban the use of the phrase "chicken titties" in the F&W ground?
6/18/08 3:07 PM
cbgrappler

crescentwrench - 
Any updates, reviews, features you wish you had?

Funny you should ask because it actually arrived out of the blue today. I came home @ lunch  and there it was, just sitting on my step. I'm having my brother over for a bbq tonite anyway, so I decided I just had to fire it up.

I did up 2 racks of ribs with a dry rub, not a homemade one unfortunately, and stuck 'em in the smoker with some presoaked apple wood chips.

It smells fuckin gorgeous right now after about an hour of cooking... there a bit of smoke so far, not anything billowy

I'll post some pics of the finished product and a quick review once I get it all done ...

6/19/08 8:45 AM
cbgrappler

I am by no means an expert in bbq. Keep in mind, my only frame of reference for how ribs should taste comes via eating at some of the larger chains like swiss chalet, don cherry's, and a few local establishments. 

What I pulled off the grill last night were the best goddamn ribs I've ever had. The rub had penetrated most everything and the meat was very tender, literally falling off the bones. While waiting for the rice to cook, I busted out the diana sauce and brushed them down to get nice and sticky.

A few notes about the smoker:

* it resembles a very large slow cooker, nothing like the eletric ones I've seen that look more like cabinets.

* the wood chips didn't seem to produce that much smoke, I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing. the smoky taste was definitely there. When I was taking out the wood chips, it looked like roughly 50% were not really burnt that much. I think next time I'm not going to soak the chips, I think they will burn fine without the additional moisture.

* some of the thicker parts of the ribs tasted a little bland without sauce, I think this may be because of the rub I used and the time I let it sit before the grill. I've heard differing things, some people dry rub and put it directly on and I've heard of others letting it sit for a few hours - not sure what's the best.

* cleanup was fairly easy.

I'm going to try a pork shoulder this weekend ...
6/19/08 10:12 AM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm somewhat new to this also...

But from what I've read, the goal is TBS (thin blue smoke).
6/19/08 1:20 PM
cbgrappler

Edited: 06/19/08 1:31 PM
Kevin Curtis - I'm somewhat new to this also...

But from what I've read, the goal is TBS (thin blue smoke).

I think I achieved that in the first hour or so of cooking and then it just dissipated ...

6/19/08 1:22 PM
cbgrappler

cbgrappler

cbgrappler

cbgrappler

cbgrappler

6/19/08 1:47 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

M@H has been using an electric smoker for quite some time
6/23/08 11:12 AM
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I {heart} my Cookshack smoker.

IMO, the most important thing to look for is really good insulation. Especially if, like me, you want to use it all winter long. If it's a nice, thick, dense smoker, chances are it's made from quality parts throughout, and your heat control will be fine too.
7/9/08 4:49 PM
Izzy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/09/08 4:50 PM
Got a bradley because I thought you could leave it and let the wood pucks shoot through every 20 min. Truth is that you have to change the water bowl every 4 hours.

That being said, my bradley smoker is great. Very consistant on the smoke and everyone wants to talk about the unit. I just made (2)5 pound briskets and (2)7 pound Butts in one session. I had a problem with the cold temp. outside because the smoker only got to 200 degrees through the night. By morning it was at 235 so I turned it down a bit. Took a total of 18 hours but I fed about 70 people.
7/10/08 9:26 AM
dennisv
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Izzy,
   Get a larger bowl. I use one of those aluminum tray things. I change my water once after the smoking is done, and then I'm good for the rest of the time.
7/10/08 12:56 PM
Izzy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Word to that! Thanks for the advice.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.