UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> I need your FISH recipes...

6/11/08 5:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TorontoMike
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...post your favourite fish dish. The family and I want to go from having a fish meal once every 2 months to about once or twice a week.

So... hit me up with some ideas. Thanks.
6/11/08 6:16 PM
Elias Cepeda
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tuna & Farfelle. Could be any pasta though. Saute some onions and make a simple tomato sauce (I like using some tomato paste to mix with water and your spices - basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, etc) then simply put in some tuna into the sauce and add some peas. I like the onions thinly sliced for this one, not diced.

You can pour the sauce over some cooked pasta.

I know that's not much of a helpful recipe structure. I have more that I like as well though. I eat a fair amount of fish

6/11/08 9:50 PM
rerox

in my opinion, a fish is best enjoyed as is with some salt and pepper and cooked with different techniques. Searing, poaching, pan roasting etc... all help enchance the natural flavors. The accompaniments should help accentuate the flavor profile of the fish itself....i will post some recipes as soon as i can.
6/11/08 10:17 PM
TorontoMike

Thanks rerox.
6/14/08 2:05 AM
SE7ENFOLD

NEDCMK1 - Cerviche...

Thats just "cooked" in citrus juices right? That scares me!!!!!
6/14/08 10:40 AM
crescentwrench
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't fear.  Cooked is cooked.  Whether it's fire, acid, microwaves.  The texture is a bit different but it's still cooked.  Cooking is all about changing the chemical properties of the proteins and other substances in the food, which road you pick ultimately reaches the same point. 

6/14/08 1:46 PM
SE7ENFOLD

But it still looks raw.
6/16/08 11:47 AM
canuck34
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do a "Fish and Chips" that I like.

Take Haddock filets. Wash and pat dry. Dip lightly in flour, then in egg, then in panko breadcrumbs. Fry in a pan with about 2mm deep of high quality olive oil. Takes about 3-5 minutes per side.

For chips, I tend to use sweet potato and I do them in light olive oil and bake them in the oven with a bit of nutmeg.

I also BBQ a lot of fish. If doing a light fish, I will do them in foil with lemon juice and zest, and a bit of dill. Add spice if you like. Cook away from direct heat in a reasonably warm bbq for about 10 minutes.
6/16/08 7:13 PM
Dillar Dog
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

baked flounder stuffed with crabmeat.  

first, go out and stab yourself a nice big flounder.  clean it, scale it, and cut off it's head.

heat up some butter and cook down some minced garlic, onions, celery, and bell pepper. add a cup of heavy whipping cream, bring it to a boil then let simmer. 

toss in 1lb of fresh crabmeat.  start sprinkling in bread crumbs until you get the consistency you want  your stuffing.  turn off the heat and add some freash grated parmesan cheese. 

put the flounder on a baking sheet, stuff it, add some more butter if you want, and bake at 375 for about a half hour.

i'm probably going floundering one night this week.  if i get a good one, i'll make this and post pics.

6/20/08 3:57 PM
eabeam
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Coat w/ a little yogurt and tandoori masala mix.

Grill.

Used w/tilapia and roughie.
9/29/08 8:20 PM
Mark1

Start by just adding s&p and olive oil, and grilling over charcoal.  It will give you an idea what each fish tastes like and what you like.

Halibut, cod, trout and roughy is fairly mild and a good start.

Mark
12/7/08 3:23 PM
hauchinango

Dillar Dog -  baked flounder stuffed with crabmeat.  

first, go out and stab yourself a nice big flounder.  clean it, scale it, and cut off it's head.

heat up some butter and cook down some minced garlic, onions, celery, and bell pepper. add a cup of heavy whipping cream, bring it to a boil then let simmer. 

toss in 1lb of fresh crabmeat.  start sprinkling in bread crumbs until you get the consistency you want  your stuffing.  turn off the heat and add some freash grated parmesan cheese. 

put the flounder on a baking sheet, stuff it, add some more butter if you want, and bake at 375 for about a half hour.

i'm probably going floundering one night this week.  if i get a good one, i'll make this and post pics.

That is almost my exact recipe I use. I kinda "developed" it after eating stuffed flounder at a restraunt. I dont do the cream though, just add a bit of dark beer and hot sauce to the bread crumbs. I sometimes use small cocktail shrimp and/or scallops along with the crab meat.

Caught a mess of flounder and just made this last week.
12/9/08 6:07 AM
droc

Red Devil Shop, Official Fedor Gear
 There's some good ones on here,  I don't eat enough fish so I'll be trying a few of these.

Do a google search for Anthony Worrall Thompson's Ultimate Fish Pie, I made it last week and it was great.

DROC

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.