UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Have decided to take the plunge

6/11/08 7:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PeterIrl
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Howdy all, after years of "will I, won't I" I've finally decided to dip my toe into motorcycle racing.

Gonna give some club racing a bash.

Picked up a 96' ZX6R last night which I'll be transforming over the coming weeks. I'm not going to delude myself about how well I'm gonna do, but I'm really looking forwards to lining up on the grid!
6/12/08 4:45 AM
PeterIrl
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

White347LX - Cool!

What made you go with a 12 year old bike, price? I would think a newer one would be more competitive with less work wouldn't it?

You hit the nail on the head straight away man, price. I got the Kwak for a bargain basement price, along with a full set of race glass(to go on the bike) and a full set of road glass(soon to be ebayed to help pay for suspension revalving).

There's actually a race class for "pre modern" bikes over here too, which will be pretty even. So I'll be hopping into that as it also tends to be a bit more chilled than the highly strung guys on the latest SS600 machinery. The guys I'll be racing with are generally doing it for fun at the weekend.
6/12/08 6:33 PM
PeterIrl

My thoughts exactly, I've no delusions of being the next Colin Edwards and this seems like a good way of getting my fast riding fix in relative safety without having to look over my shoulder for Johnny law:-)
6/13/08 12:42 PM
pm1964
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have fun, and good luck.
7/6/08 2:24 AM
PeterIrl

Hokay, finally have the bike together. Here's some before and afters:

Before:

After:

7/6/08 4:48 PM
PeterIrl

White347LX - So far, Johnny Law is the least of my worries while riding my bike. I'm much more concerned about road hazards like cinder blocks laying in the road, huge oil slicks at stoplights and stupid drivers. I've experienced all this in my first 150 miles of riding!

Ah yes, its a lot of fun, isn't it?

One thing for you if you're relatively new to riding, that a lot of people(even experienced riders) miss until its too late: watch out for busy intersections/roundabouts when its just been raining, the water lifts up any diesel spilled by trucks(which they tend to do a lot) and creates what amounts to a stinky ice rink, waiting to claim your bike. You might be lucky enough to smell it first or see the kinda rainbow effect of it on the tarmac, just be careful.

Hell, at least you don't have to worry about barreling around a bend and hitting a sheep thats just standing in the middle of the road. I've nearly had that happen a few times back home on my favourite mountain roads. Over here in Oz its more roo's and/or wombats.
7/7/08 4:55 AM
PeterIrl

GSXR1100? Mental bike!!!!!
7/11/08 3:36 PM
kanotoa
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the older sports bikes than the new ones. I am not a racer and the new bikes seem to be narroly focused on racing and not driving around. Besides if a $2000 bike can do the job just as well as a $8K bike why not?
12/25/08 11:49 AM
the venerable dr wu
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool bike peter, i've always wanted to have a track bike, where do you race? / city ?
12/25/08 3:39 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kanotoa - I like the older sports bikes than the new ones. I am not a racer and the new bikes seem to be narroly focused on racing and not driving around. Besides if a $2000 bike can do the job just as well as a $8K bike why not?

They still make tons of street focused sportbikes and super standards, maybe more than every before. FZR, FZ1, Tuono, SV650, SV1000, VFR, Monster, Busa, ZX14, FJR, Concours, 919, 599 just off the top of my head.

Its just that all the marketing goes to the race replicas which ARE very narrow focus race bikes that for the most part are excessive for street riding.
12/26/08 6:18 AM
mad tiger
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

one of the funnest bike I owned was a 92'cbr f2. pretty quick bike back in 93' lol
12/26/08 1:54 PM
White347LX
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big_slacker - 
kanotoa - I like the older sports bikes than the new ones. I am not a racer and the new bikes seem to be narroly focused on racing and not driving around. Besides if a $2000 bike can do the job just as well as a $8K bike why not?

They still make tons of street focused sportbikes and super standards, maybe more than every before. FZR, FZ1, Tuono, SV650, SV1000, VFR, Monster, Busa, ZX14, FJR, Concours, 919, 599 just off the top of my head.

Its just that all the marketing goes to the race replicas which ARE very narrow focus race bikes that for the most part are excessive for street riding.

Yep, that's why I have two bikes now. I bought a Speed Triple for cruising and a Daytona 600 kinda fell into my lap this fall so now I have a racer.
12/28/08 9:24 PM
the venerable dr wu
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you get a chance, jump on a new R6 .. holy fuck !! i was surprised at the performance. much fun around the twisties
12/31/08 7:45 PM
PeterIrl

Edited: 12/31/08 7:49 PM
Dr Wu,

I'm based in Melbourne, AUS.

the venerable dr wu - if you get a chance, jump on a new R6 .. holy fuck !! i was surprised at the performance. much fun around the twisties

Had a good dice with a guy on a newish R6 at a trackday in November, they seem like a perfect bike for thrashing the nuts off.

I'm spending today prepping the Kwak for two trackdays this month, then I'm gonna try for a race license and get out there and mix it.

I'm waiting patiently on a late xmas pressie I bought myself:

http://www.motorcycletoystore.com/sport/shop.php/electrical/starlane-athon-gps-3r-lap-timer-w/track-mapping/p_2190.html 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.