UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Sakuraba's Location

6/12/08 8:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OldGrad
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am looking for information on Sakuraba's school. I'll finally be done with my second Iraq deployment shortly and am planning a trip to Asia, with Japan being a possible destination.

Does anyone train there? Can I stop by for a session? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
6/12/08 4:28 PM
BackDrop

Man, I'm jealous ... Good luck.

Here's a writeup from ADCC -

'LAUGHTER 7 – Saku's New Dojo'

Kazushi Sakura, after twelve years of a glorious career, finally made his own dojo in Tokyo. Its called "Laughter 7" and the gym will be officially open to the public as of April 1st. Former national wrestling champion at 97 kg division, Kazuhiro Hamanaka, along with Cage Force veteran Wataru Takahashi, and DEEP Future King tournament champ (82 kg & Under) are the coaching staff gathered at the new home base of Japan's MMA star who once took the world by storm as "The Gracie Hunter".

At the dojo opening ceremony held on March 24th, Sakuraba talked about his dojo in public, "For anyone, laughing would make everything more happy. Even during gruesome training, laughter can push it through. That is the meaning. (Of the dojo name) And 7 is, you know, lucky seven." At Laughter 7 the majority of classes offered to the public are mainly MMA classes. Sakuraba is thinking about raising the next star and at the same time hoping to raise the bar of Japanese MMA. Sakuraba also talked about his vision, "Instead of fighting with just physical strength, I want to raise a fighter who is clever by sly. That type of a fighter, with a well-balanced sense, could double or triple his ability. I want to raise fighters like that."

LAUGHTER 7

tel: 81-3-6807-1771

http://www.saku39.com/

6-3-8 Minami Oi, Shinagawa-ku

Gardenia Omori 2nd Floor

Tokyo Japan 140-0013

Report by Shu Hirata (www.boutreviewusa.com)
6/13/08 8:13 AM
OldGrad

BackDrop, you rock.

Much appreciated.
6/13/08 12:28 PM
BackDrop

No prob ... be sure to report back!

6/14/08 10:17 PM
AaronU

awesome
7/10/08 6:45 AM
Toastedsherbert

ttt for later
8/13/08 8:12 PM
ricksongjj

OldGrad-If you go can you get me a signed picture of Sakuraba?
8/27/08 5:43 PM
mackz

ricksongjj - OldGrad-If you go can you get me a signed picture of Sakuraba?

....me too.... i'll pay 4 shipping :)?
8/28/08 1:55 AM
ricksongjj

ttt
5/2/09 10:53 PM
Hank Scorpio
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
10/25/09 7:00 PM
Hank Scorpio
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

has anyone been there?
11/9/09 8:09 PM
rbl
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bump

I went to Takada dojo when he was there, but they were pretty big on people speaking Japanese. It makes a lot of sense, but hopefully Sakuraba's not so strict with his own school.
11/28/09 9:16 PM
AaronU

Do you speak Japanese at all? Were you able to train with them? If so, how were the students/instruction? Cool stuff.
11/29/09 9:31 PM
rbl
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, I don't really speak Japanese past a few phrases. I didn't train but I watched a session. The gym itself (Takada dojo) was tiny, mostly mat space with a small office and a very small weights area. I turned up there with a friend after a lot of searching, and they wouldn't let me go down. Neither of us could speak good Japanese and the woman at the desk upstairs didn't speak english. We both had black eyes too which might not have helped. In the end she got kind of agitated and called the gym downstairs. The next thing I know, Sakuraba is there, looking kind of wary and pissed off. He relaxed a bit when he saw we weren't looking for a fight, and I got a photo with him.
The other time I came I saw a beginners class, what I saw was pretty much basic wrestling drills, but it seemed good.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.