UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> The "Alive Hand" in FMA

6/16/08 3:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For years, I never believed in actually being able to utilize the "alive hand" in blade, stick or knife fighting till just recently. What are your thoughts on this?
6/24/08 1:07 AM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never really trained in any FMA's extensively, my only real exposure was a few months in Modern Arnis, and some classes in college.

When i started getting into serious SD knife work, I went out and found knife instructors that were well known for training military, LEO, etc, and most of them seemed to use the "alive hand" pretty regularly for defensive work. I'm talking about attacks, not dueling.

When playing around in class now, we use the "live hand" quite a bit to trap, tie up and redirect the incoming knife, as well as to hit our opponent. I think not using it puts you at a disadvantage.
6/24/08 9:37 AM
Willybone
443 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I lost my first WEKAF stick fighting tournament, but I taped most of the fights. When I got home and reviewed the tape, I noticed that guys who used their free hand a lot, won a lot.
So, I made using my free hand part of my strategy next time and it worked out very well. I tied up his stick hand when possible, went for disarms. I tried to follow up strikes with strong shoves to put him off balance and then strike again. Those two approaches definitely helped me get the decision.

6/27/08 4:14 PM
sreiter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/27/08 4:51 PM
CQB you can punch easily while stick fighting

btw

spoke to alvin yesterday for about a hour -

he's doing VERY well
6/28/08 4:01 AM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GM Mangtutuli,

Bro! I'll be meeting up with Alvin and the URCC matchmaker tonight. Have some professional Muay Thai fighters - RP Team calibre - who want to fight MMA. :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.